All androids: "Please try restarting both the Plex Media Server and this app"

android-mobile

"An error occurred while attempting to play this video. Please try restarting both the Plex Media Server and this app". This is all I get from my Android devices at the moment. PMS is latest version (1.11.2.4772) and both android devices (Pixel XL and Pixel C) are on 6.13.3.3443 or 6.13.4.3448. They can play back synced content. Android TV seems unaffected.

Changing to the Android media player instead of the inbuilt plex one has no effect. The video stream doesn't even seem to start, I press play and the error box pops straight up. I have tried my server and three others I have access to, all are the same. There have been two updates sent to my devices today, none have worked.

Rebooted the media server, rebooted both devices, nothing doing.

Anybody else getting similar?

I just turned on network logging and then reproduced the issue on two devices, but I’m off to bed now (nearing midnight here) so will check back in tomorrow.

I’ve gotten the same message on the Amazon Fire Stick when trying to watch online channel content from NBC & CW plugins. I’ve tried rebooting the server and device and still get the same error. However when I use a Roku the content is fine.

I’ve seen posts about channel and live TV content, but this isn’t either of those, it’s straight videos, no channels, no live TV. It’s also happening across multiple servers. I can play the same content on the web GUI without problems.

Getting similar issues with latest android client & ubuntu server

Wound up uninstalling and reinstalling it, which fixed the issue on both devices, now I just need to resync 50 gig of content for the second time in 30 days.

Posting to confirm the same. I just updated today. I was able to play synced content no problem. However the moment I attempted to stream from either of my servers - poof.

I uninstalled and reinstalled and now I can stream to my phone no problem. Sadly I had 100GB of movies and shows synced due to how often I travel for work. Thank god I’m not travelling this week and can simply sync at home.

Just thought I should throw my 2c in here as well. An uninstall and reinstall worked for me too but it was not necessary to uninstall and reinstall the server, just the android app.

If you go into the app and turn the setting for “Play Smaller Video” on, it will make this issue stop. I believe it is an error that needs to be resolved in an update.

@Motlem said:
If you go into the app and turn the setting for “Play Smaller Video” on, it will make this issue stop. I believe it is an error that needs to be resolved in an update.

Damn that had me scratching my head for a while. This fixed it for me. Thanks.

@Motlem said:

I confirm this working.
The option is really important for me.
So now I have to use “play version” option…
I have some 1080p and standard xvid version of some movies, and setted default quality to 720p.
With this option activated, it always play the standard xvid by default.
I don’t want to set the default quality to maximum or 20mbps because my connection is not stable so I want a medium quality by default and let the transcoder to adapt with my connection.

@Motlem said:

Can confirm this one too… Android app kept complaining about a restart then started playing videos after turning on the option

Can confirm that uninstall and reinstall fixed this for me. I did not try the “play smaller video” option because it was already uninstalling. Happy streaming.