All embedded subtitles (VOBSUBS) for Extras do not show when Direct Playing.

android-tv
fire-tv

#1

Client: Plex for Android 6.11.2
Plex Media Server 1.11.0.4633

@kinoCharlino
@"MovieFan.Plex"

If an Extra (e.g. /Behind The Scenes) is played back on the Nvidia shield in 'Original Quality' then the subtitles will not play; if the quality is changed to Automatic then the subtitles will show. This is a bug.

Media info of subtitle.
ID : 3
Format : VobSub
Codec ID : S_VOBSUB
Codec ID/Info : Picture based subtitle format used on DVDs
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

My subtitles are NOT compressed.

To allow you to reproduce the issue:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QpOYT6It3nGHrj_S6OQDkQhC2a5keFg2/view?usp=sharing


Best streaming device to minimize transcoding?
VOBSUBS stop showing; then plex app on shield tv will crash
#2

This is an issue with zlib compression applied to vobsub subtitles inside mkv container, I already reported this issue, see more here:


#3

@delacosta78 said:
This is an issue with zlib compression applied to vobsub subtitles inside mkv container, I already reported this issue, see more here:

http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/296437/bug-report-mi-box-plex-for-android-tv-wont-display-vobsub-subtitles-with-zlib-compression

That’s not my issue. You’ll notice my subs are not compressed. My issue is with extras.


#4

@Afullmark said:

@delacosta78 said:
This is an issue with zlib compression applied to vobsub subtitles inside mkv container, I already reported this issue, see more here:

http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/296437/bug-report-mi-box-plex-for-android-tv-wont-display-vobsub-subtitles-with-zlib-compression

That’s not my issue. You’ll notice my subs are not compressed. My issue is with extras.

They should be compressed, check with mediainfo to see their status…


#5

@delacosta78 said:

@Afullmark said:

@delacosta78 said:
This is an issue with zlib compression applied to vobsub subtitles inside mkv container, I already reported this issue, see more here:

http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/296437/bug-report-mi-box-plex-for-android-tv-wont-display-vobsub-subtitles-with-zlib-compression

That’s not my issue. You’ll notice my subs are not compressed. My issue is with extras.

They should be compressed, check with mediainfo to see their status…

They don’t have to be compressed. As I said this is a different issue. Yes, my first post had all that.


#6

Anyone? @kinoCharlino @“MovieFan.Plex”


#7

Anyone experience this?


#8

@“MovieFan.Plex” This is still an issue 5 months on. Here is a sample file that will allow you to reproduce the issue:


#9

That’s why I stopped using Plex and switched to another app/service.


#10

@delacosta78 said:
That’s why I stopped using Plex and switched to another app/service.

I am rather hoping that @“MovieFan.Plex” notices this time around.


#11

@Afullmark said:
I am rather hoping that @“MovieFan.Plex” notices this time around.

I doubt it, I’ve been waiting for months on very important issues I’ve reported, but plex devs don’t seem to care, I’m tired of waiting.


#12

@delacosta78 said:

@Afullmark said:
I am rather hoping that @“MovieFan.Plex” notices this time around.

I doubt it, I’ve been waiting for months on very important issues I’ve reported, but plex devs doesn’t seem to care, I’m tired of waiting.

That’s a horrid shame. What are you using now? I was thinking of giving ‘Plex for Kodi’ a try; I have an lifetime Emby pass too. I tend to prefer plex though so it’s a shame that subtitles still has these issues. I don’t usually push issues but subtitles are important in my home so I am going to try and stay on this one.


#13

@Afullmark said:
That’s a horrid shame. What are you using now? I was thinking of giving ‘Plex for Kodi’ a try; I have an lifetime Emby pass too. I tend to prefer plex though so it’s a shame that subtitles still has these issues. I don’t usually push issues but subtitles are important in my home so I am going to try and stay on this one.

I’m using the one where the forums really work for us, where they really hear their customers and try to fix the issues as soon as possible, I feel so satisfied by that more than the app itself, at least, the app is getting better in every release, and I’ve seen the issues I reported finally fixed faster than what I experienced in Plex.


#14

I thought plex missed this; they had not. @“MovieFan.Plex” sent me this:

No, I didn’t miss it. I provided the info to the developers. It was looked into but not deemed a priority. It’s still on the backlog.

Bummer.


#15

@Afullmark said:
Bummer.

Told you so…


#16

@delacosta78 said:

@Afullmark said:
Bummer.

Told you so…

Indeed you did. I’ve noticed you on the emby forums; how’s their Vobsub support? No inbuilt, out the box, SSL with them though.


#17

@Afullmark said:
Indeed you did. I’ve noticed you on the emby forums; how’s their Vobsub support? No inbuilt, out the box, SSL with them though.

VobSub wasn’t supported until the recent beta update (1.5.73g) (I’m enrolled in the beta program which we can’t in Plex unless we’re a pass subscriber), I was having issues with other video codecs (reported by me) which are now fixed in the same update.


#18

@“MovieFan.Plex” have you confirmed this and filed as a bug yet?


#19

@“MovieFan.Plex” do you need anymore info regarding this issue or is it logged as an a confirmed issue?