Android Auto Plex Voice Commands`

android-mobile

When I click the mic icon in android auto Plex and say "play whatever", it sends the request to Google Play Music even though I have Plex open. How do I get it to send the request to Plex???

Have you read https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002453214-android-auto/?

Please also let us know the exact command you are using as well as the make and model and Android version of the device.

I’m running on a Google Pixel with Android 8.1.0. I have a Pioneer head unit with android auto support (AVH-4200NEX). Yes I’ve read the article several times. What I usually say is “OK Google play ‘And Justice for All’ in Plex”. My success rate is low, maybe about 30% of the time it will work, and it seems to consistently fail with certain albums. It’s worked on some albums. However, most of the time it answer that the item “isn’t available in plex”, or it will open in Google Play Music (in error: the album usually isn’t in there so it starts a radio station).

Sometimes it’ll open the wrong thing in plex. For certain artists or album titles, when it does this it will consistenly open the same wrong thing.

My voice commands are always going to Google Music even if the Plex App is the current app running. I am also using a Google Pixel 8.1.0.

@"-- Admin" said:
I’m running on a Google Pixel with Android 8.1.0. I have a Pioneer head unit with android auto support (AVH-4200NEX). Yes I’ve read the article several times. What I usually say is “OK Google play ‘And Justice for All’ in Plex”. My success rate is low, maybe about 30% of the time it will work, and it seems to consistently fail with certain albums. It’s worked on some albums. However, most of the time it answer that the item “isn’t available in plex”, or it will open in Google Play Music (in error: the album usually isn’t in there so it starts a radio station).

Sometimes it’ll open the wrong thing in plex. For certain artists or album titles, when it does this it will consistenly open the same wrong thing.

Sorry, I didn’t get notified that you had responded. Have you ever noticed issues with remote access and your PMS. This is required for Google to be able to find your songs. If it can’t find Plex, it automatically searches your other sources. This is something out of our control.

If you can try (please note the time) and then right after it fails to play, get the PMS log. I’d like to see if the request made it to your server.

Although I don’t have AA, I’ve rented a couple cars with it, and I’ve had similar poor results. Telling Google to play “Country music” within Plex will play Chris Daughtry. And even though they sound somewhat similar, Android repeats back “Country” (and not Daughtry) in my request. I’ve also checked flags in my Daughtry music, and it’s not classified as Country.

Also, no way to play local/synced content via voice commands (which I always use and never want to use cellular data). And no way I’ve found to just play all music with AA mode, as Ill usually just have it randomly play everything I have synced.

I’m having the same problems - Pixel 2, using the Native Android Auto App (No head unit)

“Play Billy Joel” ---- “OK check out this Billy Joel radio mix on google play music”
or
“Play Billy Joel on Plex” — “Alright, asking google play music to play Billy Joel”
or
“Play Tiny Dancer in Plex” ----- “I looked for tiny dancer on Plex, but it is not available or can’t be played right now”
or
“Play Underoath on Plex” ---- “Ok - asking google play music…”
or
“Play Brand New The quiet things that no one ever knows on plex” - “This track is only available to google play music subscribers”
or
“Play Brand New on Plex” ---- “Sure, playing Brand New on Plex” - Plays Paramore “Careful” instead???
or
“Play Fun Carry On” - “That song is only available for google music subscribers”
or
“Play Fun Carry On in plex” or “Play fun Carry on on plex” — “I looked for fun carry on plex, but it is not available…”
or
“Play Fun on plex” — “I looked for fun on plex, but it is not available…”
or
“Play Slayer on plex” ----- “I looked for Slayer on plex, but it is not available…”

You get the point, the only one that worked was Brand New, but it played Paramore’s album, “Brand new Eyes”

So, it’s giving me google play music every time or just can’t find anything. At one point this didn’t work like this. It worked as expected.

Any updates?

Try this. In Android Auto, click on the 3 bars at the top left, select Settings, click on Google Assistant, scroll down to Services / Music, check under “Your music services” and set it to “No default provider”.

I just flipped the setting to “No Default Provider” and closed/opened the app again.

I tested a few more, it still tried to use Google play music, or says it can’t find any on Plex. Appears to be the same.

MovieFan.Plex, you don’t have this problem on your phone?

It works fine for me. Have you selected a Plex server from within the app? I have seen Android Auto play the wrong song, but that’s because I had chosen the wrong Plex server and the song I wanted wasn’t on that server, so it randomly picked something else to play. I’ve never used Google Play Music so not sure if that makes a difference.

Odd.

Well, yes, the Plex server is my server. When I browse, it shows my server inside of Android Auto. So it appears to know which server is the target. And with “Band new” playing “brand new eyes” it did work one time playing from Plex.

I don’t use Google play music either, but since I have a google home, it has decided to play Google Play Music radio stations… forcing me to use Google Play Music. I can see what you’re thinking, maybe by me using it, at least once flipped something.

Is there a good way for me to help troubleshoot this with you?

We can diagnose if the wrong thing is playing, but if Android Auto isn’t trying to Play using Plex, we don’t have control over that. Android Auto doesn’t have logs and nothing will get logged with Plex if it doesn’t even get the request. I’ll check if one of the devs has a Google Home device to see if that might be interfering.

This may be a larger problem:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-auto/E3h6uASmGgc

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-auto/VuY5mV_uG4Q

The voice commands don’t seem to let me play a specific album. If I tell it “Play The Wall by Pink Floyd” it will respond that it is asking Plex to play The Wall by Pink Floyd. However, it just starts playing random tracks by Pink Floyd.

This is especially annoying on soundtracks because it just starts playing a random track by “Various Artists”.