Android Battery Drain - While Music is paused

android-mobile

I've noticed that recently, Plex on Android (8.0, Pixel 1) is draining the battery in the background. Anybody else? I drive 15 min, streaming, then sitting in the background paused (like normal), yet, hours later, I shows 23% battery going to plex since last charge, this am.

I re-installed the app, played no music, and an hour later, 2% gone too plex in the background. I only opened the app after re-install.

Anybody else having issues?

Nobody has this issue? The app, paused in the background is just sucking the battery down… 1106Mah. I used Plex to and from work, streaming music, then paused when the car was shut off and slowly draining. The drain seems to happen when Plex is paused in the background.

This is not normal. Something changed about a week ago, maybe 2.

48% of the battery went to Plex for about 45 min of playing music.

Can you grab the logs from the app and post them here?

Plex has always drained a huge amount of battery for me as long as it runs in the background. Even if your device is locked and nothing is playing, it’s constantly trying to communicate with the server.

@MovieFan.Plex said:

Logs sent directly.

@filippo333 said:
Plex has always drained a huge amount of battery for me as long as it runs in the background. Even if your device is locked and nothing is playing, it’s constantly trying to communicate with the server.

I've not seen that historically. Only in the last few weeks has it drained so much. It takes all day, but by the end of the day, it's consuming ~45% of the total battery.

Update for today… So far. And not played any music since the drive in.

Update, still have not used the app, only paused in the background…

Last update…let me know if you want today’s logs.

I'm having a similar issue. My phone is getting quite hot for a long time. Its clearly burning lots of CPU. Sync appears to be "Updating information" for a long time...it never seems to complete, or it finishes and immediately starts again. I do have many items synced, but this problem is new.

I say it's burning CPU because my phone is extremely sluggish while Plex updates information. Good luck playing any video until you pause sync.

Also seeing this. In fact my phone doesn't even charge when plugged in, Plex is using so much power.

@Huskyoff said:

@MovieFan.Plex said:

Logs sent directly.

Thanks. We are seeing what appears to be correct behavior. When you pause a video, the client keeps sending a signal back to PMS to update the progress. Without the update, PMS will think the video has stopped. The battery drain does appear to be high for what it is doing but possible if you are on a mobile network so it has to keep your data connection alive. We are evaluating how often this update is sent back to PMS which should help reduce the drain in this case.

@tylerversion2 and @cdp181 Please provide me logs from the app so I can see what is going on. The app should use very little CPU.

Thanks for the update......

One thing I noticed a while back is that the behavior while paused had changed. Months ago, when paused, the PMS would show the song being paused for a while (on the "now playing" screen), maybe 15 min, then it would drop off the list. Now it seems that it stays on that screen forever while paused. This week I've been closing my plex app when I get out of the car, and have 70% battery left when I get home.

Also worth noting, you mentioned paused video. This is specifically and only MUSIC. Paused music.

@tylerversion2 and @cdp181 Please provide me logs from the app so I can see what is going on. The app should use very little CPU.

I'll see if I can recreate the issue with logging on.

@MovieFan.Plex have PM'd you a log.

@Huskyoff said:
Also worth noting, you mentioned paused video. This is specifically and only MUSIC. Paused music.

Ah sorry. You are correct, it was a music track that was paused. Videos do stop after a while. I'll have to check if the behavior for music is different. Thanks for the correction.