Any plan to add support for Samsung 2015 Tizen TVs?

smart-tv

@richarddc79 said:

@mattseeley said:
You all hit the nail(s) on the head. It's complicated and folks are passionate on both sides.

Couldn't there be the option of just renaming them on the Samsung

Yep, this is an option. We did something similar for Roku. The legacy Roku app became Roku Classic and the new Plex big screen style app claimed the spot in the store as the Plex app. We could do similarly for Samsung but it introduces a lot of user frustration.

We have a lot of respect for Rene's work and the community of users that enjoy his app and supported his work. Being conservative and only launching the existing app on 2016s introduced the least change for our users.

So is this a NO forever for the 2015 models?

Honestly I can't say for certain. We want to offer 2015 Tizen users the choice of apps. Although how and/or when this happens is undefined.

I have been looking and it appears that currently you are only supporting the 2016 "premium" models, however these are rather expenses, will you be supporting the 2016 "budget" models as and when they come out, I ask as I will be buying a new TV this year, and don't particularly want to pay £1500.

According to a post from Orca it's allegedly currently being tested for non premium models.
Having copy/paste issues today so I cannot link. But the post is* Player for 2016 Samsung TV's
**Obviously in the Samsung section. I'm sure Matt will confirm or deny this either way.
:)

Hopefully Plex will give us 2015 Samsung TV owners the option of using the apps. Renaming Orca's app to enable this doesn't take away from all of his excellent work, but provides your userbase with options.

I have been looking and it appears that currently you are only supporting the 2016 "premium" models, however these are rather expenses, will you be supporting the 2016 "budget" models as and when they come out, I ask as I will be buying a new TV this year, and don't particularly want to pay £1500.

Yep. Samsung QA is currently reviewing our app for all 2016 TVs. Sorry, I don't know when it'll be available in the Samsung app store.

@mattseeley said:
Yep. Samsung QA is currently reviewing our app for all 2016 TVs. Sorry, I don't know when it'll be available in the Samsung app store.

Will that include the (16AV_BD) UBD-K8500 (Ultra HD Blu-ray Player)?

Non-official should be non-official; I'm disappointed to see Plex use existence of that as an excuse to not support Samsung pre-2016 first-class (yet anyway).

@jeffdoering said:
Non-official should be non-official; I'm disappointed to see Plex use existence of that as an excuse to not support Samsung pre-2016 first-class (yet anyway).

Was that answer directed to me?

The UBD-K8500 was released in March 2016. That's why I was asking. @mattseeley said their app is reviewed for all 2016 Samsung TVs. So I'd like to know if the 2016 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player is part of that.

I am a 2015 J model Plex Pass user and i support the need for a PLEX developed & Orca developed PLEX app for the 2015 models. Please make it happen.

@sdjme said:
Hopefully Plex will give us 2015 Samsung TV owners the option of using the apps. Renaming Orca's app to enable this doesn't take away from all of his excellent work, but provides your userbase with options.

+1

This seems like the logical choice to keep everyone happy.

Any word on making this happen?

Thanks

+1 from me - I'd love to be able to control the TV from the app on my phone!

any updates to this topic from Devs?

+1 from me

No. According to the information I have the 2016 BD isn't running Tizen.

any updates to this topic from Devs?

Sorry nothing new to share. Thanks for all the interest and enthusiasm. :)

@mattseeley said:

Sorry nothing new to share. Thanks for all the interest and enthusiasm. :)

Matt, if the 2015 Tizen TV's have the same OS and capabilities as the supported 2016 models, what is the rationale for not including them aside from having to rename the Orca app to something else?

@mattseeley said:

No. According to the information I have the 2016 BD isn't running Tizen.
Thank you very much for the answer.
Bummer though.

+1, for "plex classic" and plex

Well, I "fixed" the issue by buying a chromecast.

Really hope PLEX will reconsider making its app available for 2015 Samsung (Tizen)... Lifetime Plex Pass membership bought assuming Orca's (great) app was stop-gap...

Please find a solution to ship the official Plex app on 2015 Samsung TVs. I went through an upgrade cycle last year and now have three JU sets in the house. We use Plex for pretty much all media playback around the house every day. Please don't leave us out in the cold over something as simple as renaming the non-official version of the app to support both old and new.

Thanks!
-BK

Thanks a bunch Plex!

I have a 32J5600 which I only purchased a couple of months ago. There is no equivalent 2016 model in this size. EDIT: There is now but wasn't at the time.

Orca's app doesn't work with encryption enabled on the PMS and now you've decided to not support this set with your new official app for totally spurious reasons.

Remind me what I'm paying for a Pass for? Certainly won't be renewing.

@NaDs01 said:

@sdjme said:

+1

This seems like the logical choice to keep everyone happy.

Any word on making this happen?

Thanks

This. So much This