Apple TV 4K playback not working

apple-tv

I have Plex running on a Apple 4K (5th Gen), streaming from a Synology (running Server version 1.12.3.4973).

My issue is that whenever I try and play a 4K file (same files stream fine to my iPhone, or on the Infuse App on the AppleTV) I get the little spinning wheel for a few minutes and then the App shows the next file screen. If I stop the playback after 2-3min and then restart, the App offers to pickup where I left off, ~15min into the file.

All of this indicates to me that the server 'thinks' it is playing the file at high speed.

Any help or suggestions would be useful!

I also get this when I try to play a 4K video on the Apple TV 4K. The only solution I have found so far is to use the Infuse 5 app to play 4k videos from my Plex server.

Indeed here are some bugs at work. I have 3 HEVC 4 K Videos in my Plex Server - one is running fine, one has the spinning wheel effect and one shows only a bright green screen during playback. Hopefully we see some improvement soon.

yeah infuse works for me, as does playing the file using the DS Video App (Synology). It's just Plex that cannot play videos. Frustrating!

@"christophersoran@gmail.com" said:
I also get this when I try to play a 4K video on the Apple TV 4K. The only solution I have found so far is to use the Infuse 5 app to play 4k videos from my Plex server.

Bump for this question and bump for Infuse as a workaround! I do have Tautulli (formally PlexPy) and I did notice that when playing a 4K file via Plex, it shows a direct stream of audio and video but its transcoding the container from MP4 to MP4.... makes no sense. However, when playing files via Infuse, it shows the container as "Direct Play (MP4)". Not sure why Plex is chocking via the container but it looks like that may be part of the issue.

My understanding is Plex uses the native tvOS media player which does not support the 4k mkv files, while Infuse is a custom media player which is why it has much wider file type support.

I am also personally considering the switch to Infuse. If Plex can no longer play half my new content on the Apple TV, I would consider it broken.