Apple TV 4th Gen Crashing Plex Media Server?

apple-tv

#1

Just guessing, but It seems the latest TV OS Plex app update (1.22 from 1/11/2018 on tvOS 11.2.1) might be causing my Plex Media Server (Windows 10 x64 PMS Version 1.11.0.4666) to crash. The problem only seems to happen when transcoding is happening, but that is fairly frequent for us as we watch several interlaced DVR recordings that flicker if they are set to original quality. Original quality does not seem to cause the problem and transcoding from Plex Web or iOS clients do not seem to cause the problem. But if I watch content from the Apple TV the server will reliably crash after about 15-30 seconds. I've attached my log file in case that helps.

Am I the only one? The latest update seemed to be focused around Apple TV 4k and HDR, but I have a 4th Gen (non HDR) Apple TV (and TV).

Thanks! And keep up the excellent work.

ODD P.S. Following the first crash earlier this afternoon and when I first restarted Plex Media Server and started debugging/reproducing the crash this evening a couple of scheduled DVR recordings did appear to complete successfully. I suppose different services could explain this, but it was surprising and nice.


#2

Same issue here. I have 3 media servers, 2 on Win 10 and 1 on Mac OS High Sierra all running .1.11.0.4666. After watching a program for 23 secs on my Apple TV with version 1.22 of Plex all media servers crash and shutdown. No issues on my Roku, ipad or iphones.


#3

I believe I am experiencing the same issue too... for me seems to just be .mkv files that are being transcoded that crashes the server.

Various files tested and each time it crashes the PMS almost instantly.

@plex devs is this being looked at, known issue?


#4

same here!


#5

I have two Apple TV 4th Gen one has Plex version 1.17.1 and the other is 1.22

The 1.17.1 version will play my .265 mkv files fine (with auto conversion) the 1.22 tries to direct stream and fails.

1.22
when quality is set to play original quality

now playing says
converting
direct stream
Transcoding AAC to AC3

nothing plays. Then error on Apple TV "Something went wrong playing your media please try again."

So issue appeared with the 1.22 update.


#6

Phew! So good to see this. I assumed it was just my system. Actually thought it was on the server side because I just updated my mac mini but I'm on an apple tv 4th gen for the client so that must be the problem. My daughter actually mentioned it also occurred on her ipad but I haven't tried to recreate yet. Playing the same video on my laptop using the web client worked just fine.


#7

Same problem here.


#8

Also having this issue.


#9

Same here. On AppleTV 4th gen, AppleTV 4K and also experienced it on my iPad Pro. All transcoding HEVC. Rolled back my server to the latest public release and it’s working fine now. Server is running on MacOS


#10

seems 1080p h265 is the culprit... wonder how long til a fix comes


#11

Same here. ATV 4th Gen on app v1.22 crashes PMS v1.11.0.4666 almost directly after playback starts. Started on Jan 11 when 1.22 seems to have come out.


#12

Another user mentioned downgrading to 1.10.1.4602 temporarily, worked for him and me as well...

Info on how to do that here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/223300/osx-rollback-updatea


#13

@dannydiggz said:
Another user mentioned downgrading to 1.10.1.4602 temporarily, worked for him and me as well...

Info on how to do that here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/223300/osx-rollback-updatea

This definitely fixed it here as well, thanks. I also confirmed that 4633 is affected in addition to 4666, but 4602 does not crash.

Also FYI for those on Windows, if you uninstall your current version (it won't remove any data) you can reinstall 4602 from %localappdata%\Plex Media Server\Updates\1.10.1.4602-f54242b6b\packages\Plex-Media-Server-1.10.1.4602-f54242b6b.exe if you had it previously.

Hoping for it to be fixed in a future release...


#14

@jimmiz99 said:
Just guessing, but It seems the latest TV OS Plex app update (1.22 from 1/11/2018 on tvOS 11.2.1) might be causing my Plex Media Server (Windows 10 x64 PMS Version 1.11.0.4666) to crash. The problem only seems to happen when transcoding is happening, but that is fairly frequent for us as we watch several interlaced DVR recordings that flicker if they are set to original quality. Original quality does not seem to cause the problem and transcoding from Plex Web or iOS clients do not seem to cause the problem. But if I watch content from the Apple TV the server will reliably crash after about 15-30 seconds. I've attached my log file in case that helps.

Am I the only one? The latest update seemed to be focused around Apple TV 4k and HDR, but I have a 4th Gen (non HDR) Apple TV (and TV).

Thanks! And keep up the excellent work.

ODD P.S. Following the first crash earlier this afternoon and when I first restarted Plex Media Server and started debugging/reproducing the crash this evening a couple of scheduled DVR recordings did appear to complete successfully. I suppose different services could explain this, but it was surprising and nice.

A bug has been identified that gives rise to crash of Plex Media Server when Apple TV 1.22 in use and Automatic Quality Adjustment and HEVC. A fix will be released in Plex Media Server. The log you provided was for period after the crash. If you provide the zip of all the logs after the crash then I can check if it is this same crash

See https://support.plex.tv/articles/200250417-plex-media-server-log-files/


#15

Does anybody know if the Apple TVOS Beta programme is still running... I ask as the beta build seems to now be the same as the official release?

Intrigued to know whether I should switch back to the official?

Thanks


#16

I was having the same problem with some 1080p HEVC encodes. But not all of them. Sometimes manually setting them to convert automatically would fix and allow them to play. But usually it would end up crashing my media server altogether.

Rolling back to 1.10.1.4602 has fixed it.

I was on Plex Media Server 1.11.0.4666 (macOS 10.12) and Apple TV 4K (whatever the most current version).


#17

Having the same issue. Apple TV 4k and Plex Media Server 1.11.0.4666 (Win 10)

Jan 14, 2018 20:21:36.653 [500236] WARN - Got a transcode session ping without a session GUID (or with an invalid one).
Jan 14, 2018 20:21:38.931 [500452] ERROR - ClientProfileExtra: video transcode target already exists for streaming hls
Jan 14, 2018 20:21:54.991 [502320] WARN - Got a transcode session ping without a session GUID (or with an invalid one).
Jan 14, 2018 20:22:00.313 [497632] ERROR - ClientProfileExtra: video transcode target already exists for streaming hls
Jan 14, 2018 20:22:02.351 [502320] WARN - Got a transcode session ping without a session GUID (or with an invalid one).
Jan 14, 2018 20:22:02.670 [502320] ERROR - ClientProfileExtra: video transcode target already exists for streaming hls
Jan 14, 2018 20:22:04.078 [497632] ERROR - [FFMPEG] - CreateBitstreamBuffer failed: invalid version (15)
Jan 14, 2018 20:22:04.178 [498476] INFO - [FFMPEG] - MFT name: 'NVIDIA HEVC Encoder MFT'
Jan 14, 2018 20:22:04.303 [498476] ERROR - [FFMPEG] - could not set output type (MF_E_UNSUPPORTED_D3D_TYPE)
Jan 14, 2018 20:22:04.303 [498476] WARN - avcodec_open2 returned -542398533 for encoder 'hevc_mf'


#18

@alefka said:
Having the same issue. Apple TV 4k and Plex Media Server 1.11.0.4666 (Win 10)

Jan 14, 2018 20:21:36.653 [500236] WARN - Got a transcode session ping without a session GUID (or with an invalid one).
Jan 14, 2018 20:21:38.931 [500452] ERROR - ClientProfileExtra: video transcode target already exists for streaming hls
Jan 14, 2018 20:21:54.991 [502320] WARN - Got a transcode session ping without a session GUID (or with an invalid one).
Jan 14, 2018 20:22:00.313 [497632] ERROR - ClientProfileExtra: video transcode target already exists for streaming hls
Jan 14, 2018 20:22:02.351 [502320] WARN - Got a transcode session ping without a session GUID (or with an invalid one).
Jan 14, 2018 20:22:02.670 [502320] ERROR - ClientProfileExtra: video transcode target already exists for streaming hls
Jan 14, 2018 20:22:04.078 [497632] ERROR - [FFMPEG] - CreateBitstreamBuffer failed: invalid version (15)
Jan 14, 2018 20:22:04.178 [498476] INFO - [FFMPEG] - MFT name: ‘NVIDIA HEVC Encoder MFT’
Jan 14, 2018 20:22:04.303 [498476] ERROR - [FFMPEG] - could not set output type (MF_E_UNSUPPORTED_D3D_TYPE)
Jan 14, 2018 20:22:04.303 [498476] WARN - avcodec_open2 returned -542398533 for encoder ‘hevc_mf’

Can’t find any crash reports associated with your server. Please could you enable debug logging on the server: see settings / server / genera / show advanced

Then restart the server, re produce the problem and after the crash restart the server and get the logs zip and upload here - see settings / server / help / download logs


#19

My AppleTV is also crashing the Plex Server and I am not using HVEC, (just DVR’d .ts files on an Apple Tv v4) that worked previously, but basically seeing the same results.


#20

@EdNot said:
My AppleTV is also crashing the Plex Server and I am not using HVEC, (just DVR’d .ts files on an Apple Tv v4) that worked previously, but basically seeing the same results.

If you have crash reporting enabled - the crash reports together with the logs would help in identifying if it is the same issue or different