Apple TV, constant need to "Reload"

apple-tv

#1

Hi all,

I'm using the current version of the Apple TV as my main living room Plex front-end. My server is running via wired ethernet on a mac mini. Usually everything works fine, and I can stream 1080p movies and TV without issue.

My main question is about the Apple TV interface. I have this annoying issue where it seems I always have to instruct the Plex app to "Reload" in order for items to play quickly. If I don't, I see the following symptoms:
- episode descriptions take forever to render, and sometimes don't render at all
- starting the video will lag for minutes on end

If I go to "Reload", it usually solves the above, but it's a bit annoying because I end up using "Reload" whenever starting the app, and whenever I'm moving from one time to another (i.e. episode ended, let's start the next one, or switch to a different show).

For me "Reload" sounds like a re-synch with the server.

Is anyone else experiencing this?


#2

Yes, I have the same issues on both my Apple TVs (4 & 4K). My issue is sometimes worse. I see the UI reload automatically and then if I select something from the on deck, I get an error when going to the info screen. Go back and manually reload and it works. Additionally, when a video finishes it takes a long time to display the UI. It sits there with just the background, no text or images, for 10 seconds. My PMS is on Windows 10 running the latest beta. Apple TVs are on the latest client.


#3

I’ve been seeing this for a while now. If my AppleTV has been asleep or idle, or sometimes just after watching a program, attempting to click on another video will result in a Resource Loader Error. Clicking Reload fixes it, but it’s a pain.


#4

@DamnedOne said:
Yes, I have the same issues on both my Apple TVs (4 & 4K). My issue is sometimes worse. I see the UI reload automatically and then if I select something from the on deck, I get an error when going to the info screen. Go back and manually reload and it works. Additionally, when a video finishes it takes a long time to display the UI. It sits there with just the background, no text or images, for 10 seconds. My PMS is on Windows 10 running the latest beta. Apple TVs are on the latest client.

Having same exact experience. Running Plex server on a mac mini. I only get this issue when running on Apple Tv.


#5

I have a similar issue where I’ll be watching a movie or show, pause it, then leave for a while (hours usually), then come back and I can play and resume the media I was watching, but I can’t do anything else, meaning, if I choose to double-tap the Menu button the Plex app stays up, I’m not returned to the AppleTV home screen. Nothing I do gets me out of the Plex app.

Even using the Apple remote app doesn’t get me out.

The only thing I’ve found that gets me off stuck is to play a movie on my phone and change the playback to AppleTV, stop, then everything seems to work fine.

it appears that when the Plex app has focus and is paused, goes to sleep, something gets hung up from a control stand point.


#6

@nookum said:
I’ve been seeing this for a while now. If my AppleTV has been asleep or idle, or sometimes just after watching a program, attempting to click on another video will result in a Resource Loader Error. Clicking Reload fixes it, but it’s a pain.

Same issue, such a PITA
Except mine doesn’t care how long ago you used it. Resourse loader error pops up all the time. Reload always fixes but that’s not fun.

Also having the issue as OP stated where descriptions take forever to load or files spinning for minutes on end. Backing out and clicking again fixes.


#7

Sad no fixes yet.


#8

@ThePuppetMasinter said:

Same issue, such a PITA
Except mine doesn’t care how long ago you used it. Resourse loader error pops up all the time. Reload always fixes but that’s not fun.

Also having the issue as OP stated where descriptions take forever to load or files spinning for minutes on end. Backing out and clicking again fixes.

“Resource Loader error” Has been popping up like crazy recently. I wonder if it has to do with a recent server update.

I also had a weird thing happen several times last night. I would start playing a video, and after about 20 seconds the screen would pop back to the episode description, then quickly to “Resource Loader Error” while the audio from the program continued in the background. Perhaps the server could not see that the video was already playing? It happened several times, even after I restarted the Apple TV. It also happened on a friend’s remote server, and with the current public version of the Plex client and the beta version. After several tries it settled down.

Plex for Apple TV has been getting more and more unstable of late.


#9

I suspect it’s something to do with PMS version 1.12.3, since I was not having constant problems before I installed that version. I just downgraded my server back to 1.12.2 and will test it this evening.


#10

I don’t think I’ve had a “Resource Loader error” message at any point. Might be two distinct problems.

@nookum said:

“Resource Loader error” Has been popping up like crazy recently. I wonder if it has to do with a recent server update.

I also had a weird thing happen several times last night. I would start playing a video, and after about 20 seconds the screen would pop back to the episode description, then quickly to “Resource Loader Error” while the audio from the program continued in the background. Perhaps the server could not see that the video was already playing? It happened several times, even after I restarted the Apple TV. It also happened on a friend’s remote server, and with the current public version of the Plex client and the beta version. After several tries it settled down.

Plex for Apple TV has been getting more and more unstable of late.


#11

I downgraded to PMS 1.12.2 and the weird behavior I described earlier has abated. I still get Resource Loader Errors that require hitting Reload, though.


#12

This is still occurring on the latest PMS 1.13.2.5102. So, no fix except to roll back to 1.12 ??


#13

I’m seeing this issue fairly often as well. It usually surfaces in two ways:

  • Selecting an episode from the Plex home screen immediately goes to “An error occurred loading this content”
  • Episode descriptions/info can spin for ages loading (as msingh described)

In both cases, Reload from the home screen clears things up.


#14

This issue appears to be totally fixed (PMS 1.13.4.5251). Not sure if it is the server or a recent Apple TV app update that fixed it. But, haven’t had any errors, need to hit reload, or slow returning to the interface post watching a video. So, happy days.


#15

still happens here on 2 Apple TVs, 1 4K


#16

Still happening for me too. My PMS server is Version 1.13.4.5271 running on OS X.


#17

I have been having issues on my Apple TV. I can never watch anything straight through. It buffers when loading and then gives me a message after about 20 minutes: “Playback cannot be reloaded”. Or something to that effect. At this moment, I have installed Plex on my LG TV and will test it out there. I am just disgusted with this issue.