AppleTV 4K

apple-tv

I just installed my brand new AppleTV 4K and discovered that my 4K HEVC HDR files looses a LOT of color compared when streamed to the new AppleTV 4K vs the Plex app on my Samsung 4K HDR TV.
I also noticed that the Samsung TV uses "direct play" when streaming, but the AppleTV transcodes from HEVC to H264.
Any explanation for these issues?
Do Plex need to update the TvOS App to support AppleTV 4K?

The apple tv4k has been out for 5 minutes and you want Plex to fix it!

Take it back to the apple shop and get a genius to fix it.

Really really. FM!

@spikemixture said:

Really really. FM!
What is the time frame for a new product, for when you will allow discussion of it on a forum designed to discuss it?

Actually I have to agree on part of this question as well - I came here today looking for an answer to the same question. I’m trying to figure out why Plex is transcoding HEVC to H264 when the new ATV 4k should be able to directly play it with no conversion. I feel that’s a valid “out of the gate” question since they should both support it “out of the gate”. It doesn’t mean we are complaining or that we think Plex is falling down on the job. It’s more of an FYI this is happening - any idea why type thing...it could be something very simple that could be solved before “the masses” start flooding the boards. So sooner to notify may be better.

I must also add that I could very easily be misunderstanding something on how all these different file formats interact :)

@spikemixture said:

Really really. FM!

Just a question man take a chill pill! take two!

@Plex any news on the update to support HEVC and 4K Media on the AppleTV4K

I’m more concerned with no autoscaling and forced HDR upscaling. Really makes non HDR stuff look like crap (not Plex, ATV).

@"T'hain Esh Kelch" said:

@spikemixture said:

Really really. FM!
What is the time frame for a new product, for when you will allow discussion of it on a forum designed to discuss it?

More than 5 minutes.
I am an early adopter and that's what happens when you buy early - things don't always work!!

@spikemixture said:

Really really. FM!

YES, because ALL Plex had to do (it would take 2 minutes) was change a couple of characters in a simple profile document, and make a copy of it, differentiating between the 4th and 5th gen Apple TV devices.

ALL that document would need to do is specify that the server can now Direct Play to the Apple TV. (Maybe it still needs to transcode the audio to AC3...so it's Direct Stream - what the heck ever.)

They could have done that the moment they were able to obtain any relevant hardware identification data on the new Apple TV.

As a registered Apple developer, Plex was certainly privy to this basic information at LEAST 10 days ago when the product was announced. They couldn't find 2 minutes in 10 days.

Can you find 2 minutes in 10 days to complete something?

@air360 said:
Actually I have to agree on part of this question as well - I came here today looking for an answer to the same question. I’m trying to figure out why Plex is transcoding HEVC to H264 when the new ATV 4k should be able to directly play it with no conversion. I feel that’s a valid “out of the gate” question since they should both support it “out of the gate”. It doesn’t mean we are complaining or that we think Plex is falling down on the job. It’s more of an FYI this is happening - any idea why type thing...it could be something very simple that could be solved before “the masses” start flooding the boards. So sooner to notify may be better.

2 minutes. 10 days. That's a fall down.

More than 5 minutes.
I am an early adopter and that's what happens when you buy early - things don't always work!!

Except they should work in this scenario, where the change meant creating a new text document in a Plex Media Server update with slightly modified instructions that would take....... 2 minutes.

@spikemixture said:

@spikemixture said:

Really really. FM!

More than 5 minutes.

And people are not allowed to find out how to use their new equipment, and find out its limitations, until you allow it?

@spikemixture said:

@spikemixture said:

Really really. FM!

More than 5 minutes.

And people are not allowed to find out how to use their new equipment, and find out its limitations, until you allow it?

So everything you buy that has been on the shelf for 5 minutes works for you.
Congratulations you are one lucky buyer!

Everyone Relax, they are working on more important features like DVR, photo sharing, face recognition, mapping location of pictures that absolutely no one wanted or asked for.

This was meant as "FYI" Plex, and if this was a setting issue on my side, or if something needs to be fixed in an update.
If no-one mentioned it, it might not even get recognized and fixed.

I did not mean to offend anybody by pointing out my discoveries and pointing out that the Plex app for Samsung works better than the Plex app for AppleTV...

...yet another example of a simple question to PLEX, who continue to be silent & avoid communicating with it's customers

I’m hoping we can get a server update soon that’ll cover this. Yes, I just bought the ATV4K and I don’t expect it to work perfectly the second I bring it home (Plex needs to take SOME time) but it would have been nice. :smile:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/6kc4dm/anyone_able_to_get_x265hevc_to_direct_playstream/
file is here: /var/packages/Plex Media Server/target/Resources/Profiles/tvOS.xml

The plex team has allready announced that they are working on a fix for this.

Interesting thing is that it direct plays some HEVC files and not others. Looking forward to the fix. Thanks guys.