automatic autoplay video without my prior consent is a terrible feature.

news

When I open the News section in Plex on my Android phone, it immediately starts playing the first video in the list.

This is one of the most annoying and unwelcome "features" of any video streaming website. Yahoo does it too, and I have raked them over the coals for it, to no avail.

Please do not ever add a feature that auto-starts video on a user's device without the user's explicit consent!

There must be an option to enable auto-play, and its default setting should be Off.

I think they copied this behavior from other news apps like ABC news and I think the original idea is to mimic traditional TV experience but yeah, it is a bad design, especially when you don't have 100% control on the contents.

@beckfield said:
When I open the News section in Plex on my Android phone, it immediately starts playing the first video in the list. I'm surprised that I have to say this, but:

DO NOT EVER
DO NOT EVER
DO NOT EVER add a feature that auto-starts video on a user's device!

I thought every reputable software company understood this. You do NOT auto-play media on someone's devices without their expressed consent.

There must be an option to enable auto-play, and its default setting should be Off.

Huh, I don't see that on ios. Good point for plex though; nothing else just auto-plays.

Lots of reasons to now autoplay. From using up a person's cell bandwidth to it playing something that may not be safe for work (all kinds of things in the news these days).

Sometimes it's nice just to take a quick view of the new titles available to see if any news items are worth watching but that doesn't mean you want something to start that you aren't interested in. Imagine sitting in a meeting just doing a quick check and boom, video and sound starts.

Talk about pissing off a lifetime customer. You have no control over News at all.

NEVER AUTO PLAY CONTENT, WTH...!

How long until we get a news break during a movie, or between tv episodes? I'm kind of joking, but really..

@"Frank Logan" said:
How long until we get a news break during a movie, or between tv episodes? I'm kind of joking, but really..

"Feature"/Bug (with Plex you never know) arrived... https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/289554/is-news-supposed-to-autoplay-after-tv-shows
lol

@beckfield said:
When I open the News section in Plex on my Android phone, it immediately starts playing the first video in the list. I'm surprised that I have to say this, but:

DO NOT EVER
DO NOT EVER
DO NOT EVER add a feature that auto-starts video on a user's device!

I thought every reputable software company understood this. You do NOT auto-play media on someone's devices without their expressed consent.

@elan

edit... sorry, I left you out @BigWheel

he is making a feature request. there no need attempt to ping me.

@BigWheel said:
he is making a feature request. there no need attempt to ping me.

Auto playing video without consent may have been intended behavior, but it is such an egregious violation of user expectations and responsible design that it should be considered a bug.