Better quality thumbnails please! V2.002

samsung-smart-hub

I can't say I ever noticed the quality of the images one way or another pre V2.  I installed V2 on my smaller (37") TV  first and didn't notice a problem.  But now that it is on my 60"... yikes.  Those are some LOW quality images.  It actually bugs my eyes and my wife said the same thing.  You end up rubbing your eyes because they are blurry.  Not so blurry that you immediately KNOW its a low quality image... just blurry enough that you think your eyes are dry :)  If that makes any sense.

Anyway... HD TV deserves HD images!  Can this be addressed?

Viewing it on a bigger screen, doesn't make the resolution any better. The max resolution for a Samsung app is 720P. So this is about the best I can do. (it used to be at 540P which was even worse).

It's a limitation all app builders have to live with. (although Tizen supports 1080P)

Oh, that's not what I'm saying.

I realize viewing it on a bigger screen doesn't make resolution better... it makes it worse (well, perceived anyway.  It is obviously the exact same but stretched). I'm just noticing it more on the larger screen because the same low-quality image is larger for viewing.

720p would be fine.  540p would be fine.  What I'm saying is that these same images look far worse on this app vs. the previous version.  The full screen images look fine.  It is just the thumnails that look pretty horrible.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with capabilities.  Is there any image processing going on that's converting them (for example) from a jpeg to a gif or something like that?  Some "thumbs" function that could be the culprit?

+1

I ran a bit more analysis:
1) on TV Series the thumbs which represent the series are all blurry

2) as soon as I ENTER a series then I would see thumb for all seasons which are crystal clear

I appears to me that the size if thumbs on (1) and (2) is different. Hence, the blurriness of thumbs on (a) might be a result of re-sizing (just guessing).

What could be done to get all thumbs crystal clear as in (2)?

Thanks

+1

Yes, noticed same thing

I have no idea how the rendering works on the TV but looked at the source and figured since there's a browser behind it, perhaps using retina techniques could help?

Having images at 2x or 4x the resolution scaled back down using CSS might give you more pixels to work with, ending up with a sharper render.

If that works, the same thing should work for icons by using svg instead of png. If anything it should save some time reworking assets when upscaling to 1080p and beyond.

Yeah I would like higher quality thumbnails on my 60'' LG 4K too :( they look blurred and distracting a little.

@pixeledjoker said:
Yeah I would like higher quality thumbnails on my 60'' LG 4K too :( they look blurred and distracting a little.

I think you might be in the wrong forum section for someone to hear you, this is just for the Samsung client.

Well this problem still wasn't fixed... especially when it came to umm... "adult entertainment". Batch file below will scan your media and generate high quality thumbnails for your media.

@echo off
echo ***** Starting Thumbnails *****

for /R %%f in (*.avi *.mkv *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *.mpg) do (
    If NOT Exist "%%~pf%%~nf.png" (
        echo Creating Thumnail for %%f
        rem #############Getting Duration Start################
        for /f "tokens=2-5 delims=:., " %%a in (
            'c:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -i "%%f" 2^>^&1 ^| find "Duration:"'
            ) do (
            rem set /p =%%~nxf^|<nul
            setlocal enableDelayedExpansion
            set /a "duration=1%%a*3600 + 1%%b*60 + 1%%c - 366100"

rem echo %%f 
            rem echo !duration!
            rem #############Getting Duration End################

if !duration! LSS 1500 (
                rem #####Smaller Files#####
                c:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -ss 1 -i "%%f" -vf "select=gt(scene\,0.6)" -vsync vfr -vf fps=fps=1/100 -vframes 1 "%%~pf%%~nf.png" -y
                rem c:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -i "%%~pf%%~nf.png" -filter "scale=-1:900" -vframes 1 "%%~pf%%~nf.png" -y
                rem c:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -i "%%~pf%%~nf.png" -filter "crop=600:900" -vframes 1 "%%~pf%%~nf.png" -y

) else (
                #####Larger Files#####
                c:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -ss 60 -i "%%f" -vf "select=gt(scene\,0.6)" -vsync vfr -vf fps=fps=1/1500 -vframes 1 "%%~pf%%~nf.png" -y
                rem c:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -i "%%~pf%%~nf.png" -filter "scale=-1:900" -vframes 1 "%%~pf%%~nf.png" -y
                rem c:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -i "%%~pf%%~nf.png" -filter "crop=600:900" -vframes 1 "%%~pf%%~nf.png" -y
            )

rem ############Looks Like We Got a Shit Thumbnail Let's Try Again
            FOR %%E IN ("%%~pf%%~nf.png") DO (
                if %%~zE LSS 400000 (

echo Bad Image Detected Trying Again            
                    if !duration! LSS 1500 (
                        rem #####Smaller Files#####
                        c:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -ss 3 -i "%%f" -vf "select=gt(scene\,0.6)" -vsync vfr -vf fps=fps=1/100 -vframes 1 "%%~pf%%~nf.png" -y

) else (
                        rem #####Larger Files#####
                        c:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -ss 120 -i "%%f" -vf "select=gt(scene\,0.9)" -vsync vfr -vf fps=fps=1/1500 -vframes 1 "%%~pf%%~nf.png" -y
                    )
                )
            ) 
            endlocal
        )
    ) else (
        echo Skipped %%f
    )
    echo ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
)
echo ***** Finished Thumbnails*****

How it works:
1) Checks if image thumbnail already exists
2) If image exists -> Skip
3) If Image doesn't use FFMPEG to try and find the most qualified image to represent your media
4) If the image generated is too small it means your probably pulled a black image, and it will try again.

You'll need to download https://www.ffmpeg.org/ and put it in c:\ffmpeg