Bluray bonus features as Home Videos

server-windows

I have ripped all the bonus features from the Star Trek blu rays (movies and tv shows) and would like to watch them through Plex. I tried putting them into a main folder (Bonus Features) and then a subfolder (Star TNG for instance), then another subfolder (Season 01) then the bonus features themselves...just named what they are.

However, I am having a pretty big issue where one file is being linked to 113 different files from all different subfolders within the Bonus Features main folder. Obviously, this isn't going to work, but why is it doing this?

Thanks.

The only way to get around this is to "browse by folder" on your client of choice.

Example here on PHT:

![post-89757-0-94417800-1417190071.png|690x440](upload://yyd0tCqv8LX4abbiZ8agEX2kKKL.png)

You could also match up the content with any specials listed for the show on TheTVDB.com and put them into Season 0. For the rest i'd recommend either setting them up as fake episodes (above 100 usually) for that season or lumping them into season 0 with other specials.

If you can separate the series and the cinema movies, it is easier somewhat.

The local extras for movies are handled like this.

Extras for tv series are handled by the 'Specials' season. Howto by me.

Here is what I am seeing:

[Capture.jpg](http://postimg.org/image/6im0rzlhf/)

I'll try and do what Otto said, but why is it doing this? These are just supposed to be "home movies" so I thought it would just list them all individually...

However, Otto, I can't access the 2nd link you posted (the tv show one) which is the one I'd like to work on first.

My solution would enable you to use regular tv show and movie libraries respectively. That means no browsing by folder necessary, which has its own drawbacks as you can see.

Update:

Your particular problem with the duplicate indicator is probably caused by the naming of your files or by embedded metadata. If they are identical for all 113 files, then plex thinks it is 113 copies of the same video.

My solution would enable you to use regular tv show and movie libraries respectively. That means no browsing by folder necessary, which has its own drawbacks as you can see.

Update:

Your particular problem with the duplicate indicator is probably caused by the naming of your files or by embedded metadata. If they are identical for all 113 files, then plex thinks it is 113 copies of the same video.

I'd like to use your solution but I can't access the link you posted. It gives me an error. Any chance of reproducing the solution here?

I'd like to use your solution but I can't access the link you posted. It gives me an error. Any chance of reproducing the solution here?

Sorry, that was in a plexpass-only forum. Post repeated here

As for now, the only way to add extras to tv shows is the 'Specials' Season or 'Season 00'.

1. Browse to the thetvdb.com, look up your particular show into which you want to add the extra(s)
2. Browse to the view of the 'Specials'. Make sure, that the extra you are about to add is not already listed in there.
    If it is, make a note of its episode number.
3. name the file of your extra as if it were just a regular episode of the tv show, with the season being '00'
example:
Breaking Bad - s00e101 - some making of video.ext
Note that the episode number in my example is 101. Many folks number their own extras from 100 on up, to steer clear of the specials episodes that are actually registered in the thetvdb.com
If you wrote down an episode number in step 2, use it as episode number in the file name (instead of the '101' from my example).

4. Now add a folder 'Specials' OR 'Season 00' underneath the main folder of your tv show.
5. put your extra file(s) in there
6. refresh show

the full file path from my example:
/TV_shows/Breaking Bad/Specials/Breaking Bad - s00e101 - some making of video.ext
Official documentation regarding tv show specials

TV show extras not showing

Worked great! Thank you so much.

Is there anyway to name the bonus features so that I can see the title of the bonus feature itself?

Is there anyway to name the bonus features so that I can see the title of the bonus feature itself?

If the files do not contain internal metadata with the title, then all you can do is edit them in plex.

This applies only to tv show specials. Movie extras will be named after their file names.

@OttoKerner said:
primetime34 wrote on November 29 2014, 7:43 AM: »

If the files do not contain internal metadata with the title, then all you can do is edit them in plex.

This applies only to tv show specials. Movie extras will be named after their file names.

My PLEX keep renaming the file "Episode XXX" every time there is a refresh or a rescan of the library, even though I manually rename the file with the pencil icon. In other words, it doesn's stick.

When you have over 100 episodes of a TV show and each one has some form of featurette, if not more, then the use of a Season 00 or Specials gets really unwieldy. I can't understand why the local extras for TV shows can't work the same way as it does for movies. This would be SO MUCH BETTER. The Specials or Season 00 category is great for actual specials that aren't numbered episodes...like a Pilot or a recap episode. But, behind the scenes, deleted scenes, interviews, etc, need their own place within the episode just as Movies do. I certainly hope that this feature is coming soon. I'd think it would be very easy to port this code from movies to TV Shows. I'm not a coder and no expert on the subject though.

@trukidz said:
When you have over 100 episodes of a TV show and each one has some form of featurette, if not more, then the use of a Season 00 or Specials gets really unwieldy. I can't understand why the local extras for TV shows can't work the same way as it does for movies. This would be SO MUCH BETTER. The Specials or Season 00 category is great for actual specials that aren't numbered episodes...like a Pilot or a recap episode. But, behind the scenes, deleted scenes, interviews, etc, need their own place within the episode just as Movies do. I certainly hope that this feature is coming soon. I'd think it would be very easy to port this code from movies to TV Shows. I'm not a coder and no expert on the subject though.

Agreed!

@Marcus1571 said:

@OttoKerner said:
primetime34 wrote on November 29 2014, 7:43 AM: »

My PLEX keep renaming the file "Episode XXX" every time there is a refresh or a rescan of the library, even though I manually rename the file with the pencil icon. In other words, it doesn's stick.

Apparently you have a bunch of embedded metadata and have Local Media Assets higher in the list than you should. If Local Media Assets are in the top spot embedded metadata is given top priority. You can remove the embedded metadata, or move Local Media Assets further down the list:
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200241558-Agents
You can actually disable (uncheck) Local Media Assets for TV Shows to mitigate the problem entirely, but it's unknown to me what effect that will have on any Plex Pass Features you may be using for TV Shows. I'd just drag it to the bottom of the list and leave it on and see what happens.

@trukidz said:

Can't agree more. I just started trying to add extras to some TV shows and was surprised that it doesn't just work the same as it does with movies. This makes NO SENSE. You should be able to add extras to each season of a TV show in the same way that you add extras for movies. Each season of TV shows have their own extras, it is awful to try to mash them all together into a 'season 00'.

@trukidz said:
The Specials or Season 00 category is great for actual specials that aren't numbered episodes...like a Pilot or a recap episode. But, behind the scenes, deleted scenes, interviews, etc, need their own place within [their respective season] just as Movies do.

I don't suppose there's a response from the team about this? Is this a feature that is actually on it's way (or not)? Is there a particular reason individual seasons of a show can't or don't support their own additional content like this? Is this just not really on anybodies radar enough to be worked on or cared about?

It's often requested and just as often ignored. The community came up with the current 'work around' and to date that's the way we have to do it.

It could have something to do with the restrictive way TVDB allows access to their database, but whatever the reason is there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest by Plex in doing anything different.

Here's the 'How-To' upthread by @OttoKerner from November of 2014:
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/779113/#Comment_779113 (in case you had trouble finding it)
So that should give you an idea of how fast Plex intends to move forward on the issue ('not very' would be my guess). Just do it like the rest of us are doing it until something changes.

@JuiceWSA I saw the "work-around" first time through and haven't implemented it because it's not a really a work around at all. It's a way of shoehorning the content in so it simply exists from within Plex, losing all semblance of organization or identifying features.

I came up with my own solution, which is only slightly better (imo)...

I moved the extra content into a new show folder with an altered name, sorted and named the content relative to the new show folder, manually added images and meta data after scanning, and finally edited the sort name to that they were listed alongside the show they belonged to. Sample file structure below...

Futurama/
    Season 00/
        Futurama - s00e01 - Christmas Special.mkv
    Season 01/
        Futurama - s01e01.mkv
        Futurama - s01e02.mkv
        [etc...]
    Season ## [etc...]
EXTRAS: Futurama/
    Season 01/
        EXTRAS: Futurama - s01e01 - Deleted Scenes from Season 1.mkv
        [etc...]
    Season 02/
        EXTRAS: Futurama - s02e01 - Featurette.avi
    Season ## [etc...]

A couple problems right away from this approach:

1) Plex is still trying to match the show to TVDB content, so if "Futurama Extras" matches too closely to the real show title "Futurama" then Plex will try and merge the extras content back into the original show anyway (and just create a bunch of dupe entries). So the fake show name needs to be different enough that Plex cannot identify it (Using something that changes the beginning of the name seems to work best).

2) Extras content is removed from the original show that it belongs to. So while you do gain a little bit of organization at the season level, you lose a little bit at the show level. Also, using a fake name with a different first letter than the original means the shows won't appear next to each other, but this can be fixed by editing the "sort name" back to the original.

3) You lose show metadata and have to manually add it for the "fake" instance.

My opinion is that having the season-level organization is a bit more important and useful than keeping them contained in the same show (of course having both would be far better, if the devs would actually fix this (FYI this is broken behavior)... but anyway...). Using the other "work-around" still doesn't get you show-names or episode-level meta so the loss of meta is relatively the same with either method.

@relic200 said:
...(FYI this is broken behavior)... Using the other "work-around" still doesn't get you show-names or episode-level meta so the loss of meta is relatively the same with either method.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the community has embraced the 'Official Unofficial Community Invented and Approved' S00 Solution (work around) because the community feels having TV Series Extras in the same place as the TV Series makes the most sense... and as you pointed out it requires a manual edit no matter how you look at it. When S00 'Episodes' are named higher than the last 'official' Special at TVDB Plex doesn't try to match them to something else - it just doesn't match them to anything... and that's somehow better... at least the community feels it is.

The other 'benefit' of using the Specials Season 00 Hack is that sometimes (when the Planets align just right) a DVD/Blu-Ray Extra will be listed at TVDB. Looking at the Specials listing at TVDB will reveal this rare occurance and if you name your Extra correctly you can save a manual edit.

If the Official Unofficial Community Hack doesn't work for you, feel free to invent one of your own that makes more sense to you. The bottom line is that for years Plex hasn't wrapped their heads around the idea that this issue needs fixing and I don't expect that to change any time soon.

I'm sorry but having an "extra's" or "specials" folder listen to different rules is much appreciated, I stumbled here because somehow plex is unable to play the tv show episode instead of the 7min behind the scenes on my chromecast, it just switches over to the extra instead of the 50+min episode... this is REALLY annoying, and... just bullcrap in the first place.

so, plex should do something about it, have extra's take their proper spot along the actual episode (if relevant to the episode) which should be trivial to do (given an "extras" or "specials" folder name filter)

edit: the match isn't even correct: I can't watch season 1 because of season 2 extra's? naming being done similarly as the actual episode