Buffering all night to remote Plex app, sucking a ton of bandwidth

server-windows

A couple times now I've got up in the morning and noticed the machine my Plex server is running on bogged down. If I look at the Active connections, there is a file stuck in buffering mode. For over 7 hours. During this, my machine was spitting out almost 30 mbits per second of traffic to the remote player. This has put me over my bandwidth limit pretty quickly for the month :-)

It seems to get stuck in buffering mode - feeding the player data, continuously, without timing out eventually.

My girlfriend usually watches a movie when she's going to sleep, but I can't understand why it would be buffering for 7 solid hours. I could have transmitted the entire movie to her dozens of times at that traffic level.

Any ideas why a Roku stick and Plex app would be stuck buffering for 7 hours with this kind of traffic? It definitely seems like an issue either on the server or the player app.

Is there a timeout that can be set somewhere for buffering?

ouch i haven’t seen that before, have you looked in the plex logs to see if there is anything of note during the buffer? i’d be curious what they say is going on.

Just ran into this, i wonder if its related. Seems it very well could be.

I believe the client device has to acknowledge the stop of a stream, which it won’t do if it’s gone into sleep mode. I have this issue overnight as my daughter likes to fall asleep watching shows. To combat this and other things, I have a pc restart scheduled at 4:30am every day.

I’ve been able to reproduce it, and have logs (i’ll have to upload them tonight).

It’s happening on 2 different Roku sticks, both at home (LAN access) and remotely. Those don’t shut off, and AFAIK, don’t have a sleep mode, beyond a screensaver that appears when nothing is playing/streaming.

@AmazingRando24 said:

I believe the client device has to acknowledge the stop of a stream, which it won’t do if it’s gone into sleep mode. I have this issue overnight as my daughter likes to fall asleep watching shows. To combat this and other things, I have a pc restart scheduled at 4:30am every day.

This is the exact solution I was going to take for now.

It was never an issue until December.

@jeramie72 said:
ouch i haven’t seen that before, have you looked in the plex logs to see if there is anything of note during the buffer? i’d be curious what they say is going on.

Just ran into this, i wonder if its related. Seems it very well could be.
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/282070/buffering-at-end-of-content-after-recent-1-8-server-update#latest

I ran across that, but the OP accepted the issue as “fixed” after an update.