[BUG] Android playback issue

android-mobile

Hi all,

I have an oddly specific issue with my server. I cannot play back videos from a specific source. I can play any of this media on any other platform, except for the android app.

When I try on android, I get the message "An error occurred while attempting to play this video. Please try restarting both the Plex Media Server and this app." I've restarted both, with no success, i've also tried multiple android phones, all running the latest plex android app.

The source of the videos is a raspberry pi, with a pi camera, it's running some software called motioneye, recording video any time motion is detected.
Twice a day, a script (written by myself) runs on the server, pulling the last 12 hours of footage and stitching it all together into one file using ffmpeg. This script only concatenates the files, and does not touch the encoding.

The video is mp4 format. I've gone through every single encoding option in motioneye and all of them have the same result.

I've got the logs, after reproducing the issue, I will attach the zip to this post.
I have had a look through them and narrowed down the issue, here is the part it's to failing:

com.plexapp.android 2018-04-10 19-31.log

04-10 19:31:02.528 e: An exception occurred: java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'int com.plexapp.plex.net.s.a(java.lang.String, int)' on a null object reference
04-10 19:31:02.533 i: [Boot] MobileVideoPlayerActivity took 9ms to run create behaviours.
04-10 19:31:02.544 e: Stacktrace: java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'int com.plexapp.plex.net.s.a(java.lang.String, int)' on a null object reference
at com.plexapp.plex.net.i.a(SourceFile:530)
at com.plexapp.plex.net.i.a(SourceFile:94)
at com.plexapp.plex.mediaselection.c.d(SourceFile:653)
at com.plexapp.plex.mediaselection.c.a(SourceFile:100)
at com.plexapp.plex.mediaselection.h.a(SourceFile:848)
at com.plexapp.plex.mediaselection.h.doInBackground(SourceFile:820)
at android.os.AsyncTask$2.call(AsyncTask.java:333)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1162)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:636)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:764)

04-10 19:31:02.583 i: Resuming MobileVideoPlayerActivity.
04-10 19:31:02.602 i: [PlayQueueBehaviour] Clearing audio PQ because video playback has started.
04-10 19:31:02.614 i: [SBB] MobileVideoPlayerActivity We're in landscape (1920 x 1080).
04-10 19:31:02.615 e: [video] Unable to decide on a video for playback: /library/metadata/29479
04-10 19:31:02.616 e: [Video Player] A non-recoverable error occurred while attempting to play: /library/metadata/29479.
04-10 19:31:02.616 e: [Video Player] An error occurred while attempting to play this video. Please try restarting both the Plex Media Server and this app.

I've tried all the troubleshooting steps I can think of (short of reinstalling the server)
I have been puzzling over this for about a week on and off, but after seeing this log i'm wondering if it's an application issue and not actually anything to do with my media or my setup!

Please help!
Sincerely,
Chrotek

@chrotek I have the same issue. DJI Mavic movies specifically for me.

Hey sdushane, thanks for updating the question!
Are you able to provide the logs so i can see if it’s the same error as mine?

I notice you are a plex pass user. do you think posting this in the plex pass forum might get somemore visibility?

@chrotek I will