I've been a long time user and fan of Plex. I even was a subscriber at one point, until the features I got the subscription for became available in the free version. I'm writing the post as a continued support for this great service.
Over the years I have gathered a sizable collection of short personal videos on my media server. I like keeping them neatly organized and using Plex is a way to do this. There are however, two issues (presumably bugs) that I would like to report.
ISSUE #1: 'Title' field in metadata sometimes gets reset
This happens with roughly 1% of the films. When I update it manually, it will appear fine for a little while, but it always reverts back to the original title Plex gave it (cleaned up version of the filename). I have locked the field, tried to 'Optimize Database' right after, and even directly changed the title in the database itself. None of fixes the title permanently. It always happens to the same videos.
ISSUE #2: Actors are removed when Plex refreshes metadata on a video
I wrote a few scripts that allow me to add 'actors' to the Plex database and then associate them with videos [SIDEBAR: I am not sure why this is not already a feature in Plex. I have seen requests for it dating back years, and it frankly doesn't seem like such a difficult thing to achieve; add an 'Actor' editor (perhaps under 'Online Content') which allows you to add/ edit names and photos of actors, and then use the established tagging system in the current content manager to add/ edit/ remove them from movies...]. This works really well and grants me access to features that link films through actors, etc.
However, when I click on a title to load a film's page which I haven't visited recently, it 'refreshes' the metadata and as a result removes the reference. It doesn't remove the actor, it just disassociates it from the film (i.e. removes the rows from the 'taggings' table in the database). When I then add the actors again and refresh the page, the actors show up, so it appears to me that this automated metadata refresher only runs when the system deems it outdated. So far, this is the only instance I found where it disassociates the actors.
Both of these issues, it appears to me, would be fixed if the 'Scanner'/ 'Agent' could be disabled past the initial scan when new media is added to the library.
The library I am having these issues with has the following settings;
Library Type: Other Videos
I have all of the checkboxes (3) unchecked
Scanner: Plex Video Files Scanner
Agent: Personal Media
If I need to provide additional info, let me know.