[Bug] Roku app displays timed lyrics slightly behind audio

roku

I've noticed with several tracks that the Plex app highlights the current lyric slightly later than it should. I even created my own timed lyric for one track (probably won't be doing a lot of that. phew!). When I played the track and viewed lyrics using Plex Web, the transitions were well synchronized with the audio. But when I played the same track on the Roku app, the lyric transitions noticeably lagged behind the audio. It was only a fraction of a second, but it was noticeable enough to be annoying.

Can you provide a sample of the file with the perfectly timed lyrics? We can see what we can improve upon. There are a few caveats associated with the roku audio player. The time is not provided by the player itself, so we maintain the offsets internally. This has potential for the times be be slightly off, especially while seeking is involved. Either way, we can definitely take a look and see if there is anything we can do until Roku can provide the audio progress from their player.

edit: if you can supply a sample, please PM me.

Well, "perfectly timed" is a bit of a stretch, but I'll get you a sample this evening. :)

@ljunkie, just curious how you got on with this.

@beckfield said:
just curious how you got on with this.

I haven't been able to make any progress on this yet, sorry.

Just took a quick peek and it looks related to us having to keep track of the time since Roku does not provide the actual progress. I think we may be able to tune this a bit better. A couple quick tests with a possible fix has kept the lyrics on par with the web app. We'll tune this up and try to include the fix in the next release. Thanks again for the report and sample.

@ljunkie - This does not appear to have improved at all in official or preview channel. I added another sample to my Dropbox, if you still have the link I PMed to you.

I just took another run at this, and see that the Plex Roku app is still transitioning timed lyrics about a half-second late. Has there been any more work on this? @ljunkie