[BUGS] iOS Camera Upload Issues

ios

I've seen a few posts about some of these bugs, but I'm making a post to document all of the ones I'm seeing, and a few I haven't seen posts on.

The Camera Upload switch turns off when you kill the app, so every time you open the app after it has been closed you have to go back in and turn on the camera upload, even when you have it set up automatically upload.

If you leave the app while it's backing up photos it will finish backing up the one it's currently on but won't move onto the next photo. Once you open the app up again it will start uploading the next photo.

Live Photo video clips do not get uploaded. I believe the actual bug is that it won't upload two files with the same name but different extension, since Live Photos are comprised of one JPG and one MOV file that have the same file name. Needless to say, if you are trying to backup Live Photos so you can delete them, don't. You'll lose the video portion.

Idk, if this is a software limitation, but automatic backups never triggered. I was hoping that it would eventually figure out that it's on wifi and start backing up the photos (either when the app is open in the background or the app was never started). If it's possible to make it so the app will start running in the background, even if the app hasn't been opened, and kick off an upload then that would be awesome, but it should at least do it while the app is an active background process. And yes, background app refresh is on for my device.

Native support for Live Photos would be nice!

Supporting Live Photos should be a top priority, without it I can't just rely on plex to back up my Photos, I still have to import them directly. Hope they can fix this soon.

Bumping this thread. I have not seen any indication on any threads that the issue Baldwin90 is referring to in his initial post is being addressed. Specifically, the part about camera uploads running in the background and that the automatic backup never being triggered. I recently switched from android to iphone and this is a major disappointment to me. I'm an avid user of PMS, but this is something that seems like it would be given a pretty high priority. There are many blogs that show development workarounds to the iOS feature that kills apps running in the background after 3 minutes, so I'm not sure why the Plex team is dragging it's feet on this one.

I'm having the same issue.

Just did my first camera upload with the latest plex ios client and noticed the movie portion of live photos isn't getting uploaded. Please fix! I'm pretty dependent on live photos, and was hoping plex would be a single solution for smartphone camera backup needs. It does look like other videos (that were intentionally recorded under the 'video' mode, or hyperlapses) are getting uploaded.

Ideally would also like to view live photos within the plex clients.

@raingham1008 said:
Bumping this thread. I have not seen any indication on any threads that the issue Baldwin90 is referring to in his initial post is being addressed. Specifically, the part about camera uploads running in the background and that the automatic backup never being triggered. I recently switched from android to iphone and this is a major disappointment to me. I'm an avid user of PMS, but this is something that seems like it would be given a pretty high priority. There are many blogs that show development workarounds to the iOS feature that kills apps running in the background after 3 minutes, so I'm not sure why the Plex team is dragging it's feet on this one.

A lot of work went in to address these issues. Background uploading does work but is slow if there are thousands of images / videos on the phone. It does currently process every item and ask the server if it has been uploaded - this is expected to change in a future release which should speed it up.

If you are getting problem where it is not uploading, please provide Plex for iOS logs and Plex Media Server logs

See https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files

@vivekgani said:
I'm having the same issue.

Just did my first camera upload with the latest plex ios client and noticed the movie portion of live photos isn't getting uploaded. Please fix! I'm pretty dependent on live photos, and was hoping plex would be a single solution for smartphone camera backup needs. It does look like other videos (that were intentionally recorded under the 'video' mode, or hyperlapses) are getting uploaded.

Ideally would also like to view live photos within the plex clients.

Photos and Videos are uploaded - however for iOS Live Photos, only the photo element is uploaded

@sa2000 Thanks for the reply! Are there any plans to enable uploading of the video element for iOS live photos? Is this the appropriate place to make/vote on such a feature request?

(I'm a bit new to the plex community, did just read "How to Report an Issue") - but have some concern that this particular forum thread is covering multiple issues from different people. My biggest concern at the moment is just having the video element of live photos backed up, since it's leading me to look into manual non-plex backups/other workarounds for now.

@vivekgani said:
@sa2000 Thanks for the reply! Are there any plans to enable uploading of the video element for iOS live photos? Is this the appropriate place to make/vote on such a feature request?

(I'm a bit new to the plex community, did just read "How to Report an Issue") - but have some concern that this particular forum thread is covering multiple issues from different people. My biggest concern at the moment is just having the video element of live photos backed up, since it's leading me to look into manual non-plex backups/other workarounds for now.

Just to clarify - the Camera Upload Plex feature I do not believe was added so that it gives users a backup function.
Camera Uploads is there to get your images and videos into your Plex libraries

Having the tiny short video elements of Live Photos in plex would not be right - whilst there is no support for Live photos.

I have an iPhone and I backup to iCloud - and that is separate from the camera uploads to Plex Media Server

Interesting, I feel like a number of users are going to perceive plex camera upload as a backup & alternative to using cloud solutions like iCloud.

I just looked at the plex camera upload overview page (https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/202130466-Camera-Upload-Overview ) and the video commercial pitches plex camera upload as a solution enabling one to be able to delete photos without worrying. I highly advise that overview page be changed if that isn't the case.

@sa2000 said:

Having the tiny short video elements of Live Photos in plex would not be right - whilst there is no support for Live photos.

... and you would be wrong. I have cancelled Flickr after 10+ years and moved to Google photos for this very reason. One drawback of the Google app is that is does not do background upload. I was hoping to slide over to Plex for photo backup and have it saved to Google from my Plex server. I love the ability to have every family member upload to the same Plex server. The only thing missing now is LIve photos. Where do I make a formal request?

@joesroom said:
@sa2000 said:

... and you would be wrong. I have cancelled Flickr after 10+ years and moved to Google photos for this very reason. One drawback of the Google app is that is does not do background upload. I was hoping to slide over to Plex for photo backup and have it saved to Google from my Plex server. I love the ability to have every family member upload to the same Plex server. The only thing missing now is LIve photos. Where do I make a formal request?

@vivekgani said:
Interesting, I feel like a number of users are going to perceive plex camera upload as a backup & alternative to using cloud solutions like iCloud.

I just looked at the plex camera upload overview page (https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/202130466-Camera-Upload-Overview ) and the video commercial pitches plex camera upload as a solution enabling one to be able to delete photos without worrying. I highly advise that overview page be changed if that isn't the case

Suggest you browse / search the Plex Pass Feature Requests forum and create a feature request if there is not one already. Please read the announcement topics within the forum

Thanks, couldn't find one so created one: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/267572/feature-request-support-camera-upload-for-ios-live-photos#latest . For anyone wanting this feature to happen, go to that feature request and click the "Like" button, the plex team counts those as votes.

Thank you. I have liked it as much as I can.

@vivekgani said:
Thanks, couldn't find one so created one: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/267572/feature-request-support-camera-upload-for-ios-live-photos#latest . For anyone wanting this feature to happen, go to that feature request and click the "Like" button, the plex team counts those as votes.

Here we are, 9-10 months later and there is neither an update nor a fix of their marketing lingo.

Ouch!

I'm the one that reported the lack of this functionality as a bug back in 2016. Plex has yet to even acknowledge that it's a bug or even a shortcoming. The majority of iPhones on the market have this feature, and there's only two OSs that camera upload is used for. Please don't alienate half of the customers.

The larger concern is for users that aren't tech savvy enough to realize that using this service does not make it safe to delete photos from their device. I am sure average users have used this feature and deleted a live photo without ever realizing they lost the video portion of their live photo forever. If this is not going to be implemented soon please at least put a warning in the app that Live Photos aren't supported and that data will be lost if a live photo is uploaded using this services and then subsequently delete it from the device.

I do share the disappointment, without this feature camera upload feels incomplete.

To do things properly Plex would also need to be able to play back those, I understand that it would require some time. Google was able to do it, and they are Apple biggest competitors