Cannot get 5.1 surround sound via Chromecast

chromecast

I could not get my home theater AV receiver to play in 5.1 surround using Chromecast. After some investigation into the user manuals of my TV and audio receiver, I have come to the conclusion that it is simply impossible with my setup and Chromecast.

The Samsung LN55B640R3FXZA 55" TV will only output 2 channel stereo via the digital optical out when receiving from HDMI.

My Yamaha HTR-6130 AV receiver will only pass through audio from HDMI inputs to the HDMI output without intercepting the audio to supply the receiver itself. You have to connect a separate digital optical or SPDIF cable from the source unit to get 5.1 to work.

So, since the TV will not transmit the surround to the receiver and the ChromeCast has no independent digital audio out I simply cannot play back surround sound with my system. I thought this might help save some people some time from trying a dozen different transcoding schemes to get surround to work when there is a possibility that their system is not capable of doing it.

I think I will take the ChromeCast back and look for a Blu-Ray Player with Plex support instead. I'm looking at the Samsung BD-H6500. I found a device capable of stripping the audio from the HDMI cable, but it is $100 and the Blu-Ray player is $150 and can also play DVDs and Blu Discs, which ChromeCast cannot do.

I hope this helps someone because I spent quite a few hours transcoding with HandBrake with different setups thinking I was not doing it right when it was my AV setup that was the shortfall of accomplishing surround sound with my stream.

"Support for AC3 passthrough was added in the recent updated build 19084 for the Chromecast device." (Source: https://code.google.com/p/google-cast-sdk/issues/detail?id=192#c114)

Now we just have to wait for a Plex update to take advantage of this, then you will hopefully get surround.

If your source material has AC3 that is.

Will this support DTS as well, or it that a separate issue?

Will this support DTS as well, or it that a separate issue?

Separate.

I could not get my home theater AV receiver to play in 5.1 surround using Chromecast. After some investigation into the user manuals of my TV and audio receiver, I have come to the conclusion that it is simply impossible with my setup and Chromecast.

The Samsung LN55B640R3FXZA 55" TV will only output 2 channel stereo via the digital optical out when receiving from HDMI.

My Yamaha HTR-6130 AV receiver will only pass through audio from HDMI inputs to the HDMI output without intercepting the audio to supply the receiver itself. You have to connect a separate digital optical or SPDIF cable from the source unit to get 5.1 to work.

So, since the TV will not transmit the surround to the receiver and the ChromeCast has no independent digital audio out I simply cannot play back surround sound with my system. I thought this might help save some people some time from trying a dozen different transcoding schemes to get surround to work when there is a possibility that their system is not capable of doing it.

I think I will take the ChromeCast back and look for a Blu-Ray Player with Plex support instead. I'm looking at the Samsung BD-H6500. I found a device capable of stripping the audio from the HDMI cable, but it is $100 and the Blu-Ray player is $150 and can also play DVDs and Blu Discs, which ChromeCast cannot do.

I hope this helps someone because I spent quite a few hours transcoding with HandBrake with different setups thinking I was not doing it right when it was my AV setup that was the shortfall of accomplishing surround sound with my stream.

I'm probably missing the obvious here, but why don't you just plug the chromecast into your AVR if it has HDMI inputs?  Why do you need to put it in the TV and get the sound to passthrough?

I'm probably missing the obvious here, but why don't you just plug the chromecast into your AVR if it has HDMI inputs?  Why do you need to put it in the TV and get the sound to passthrough?

From http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-6130_black__u/4402/5816

To enjoy the sound from speakers connected to this unit:

– make an analog or digital connection besides the

HDMI connection.

– mute the volume of the connected video monitor.

Strange limitation to have in a receiver.

I got the same limitations on my old old ooooold setup, although using a Sony STR-DG700.

I use a box between my HDMI inputs (CC. rPi, PS3 etc) and split my surround to an optical cable. With the CC I do get sound, but it's only two of the five channels (I think I hear surround l+r, not any front channels) and my reciever recognize it as regular stereo PCM 48KHz.

Is this related to the referenced issue or is it the older 5.1/2.x-annoucement issue perhaps? All my other input sources shoots surround just fine so to speak.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Yup, it's me being a noob and didn't do my research before buying the CC :)

My setup doesn't do DD+ and I'll prolly just buy a more up-to-date reciever. Never mind me!

Hello Gents, I am finding that playing content through my Plex app within the Samsung BluRay player isnt working in 5.1. I only just switched from running Plex through my PS3 (which 5.1 was working great), now that I am using the BD-H6500 all I get is Stereo - any settings I should be tinkering with? Ta

@baxxo said:
KarlDag wrote on September 25 2014, 1:49 PM: »

From http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-6130_black__u/4402/5816

To enjoy the sound from speakers connected to this unit:

– make an analog or digital connection besides the

HDMI connection.

– mute the volume of the connected video monitor.

Strange limitation to have in a receiver.

Baxxo nailed it. Only the AV Receiver makes 5.1 surround sound, the TV only has 2 speakers. So, passing the 5.1 through the receiver via the HDMI port (which is not intercepted) to the TV doesn't make the AV Receiver make 5.1 audio for this specific receiver. Yes, it's a terrible design, and I don't know why they made it that way.

Ultimately, it's a moot point for me. I returned the ChromeCast and I use an XBox One now instead of my Samsung BD-H6500.

@tomtom77 said:
Hello Gents, I am finding that playing content through my Plex app within the Samsung BluRay player isnt working in 5.1. I only just switched from running Plex through my PS3 (which 5.1 was working great), now that I am using the BD-H6500 all I get is Stereo - any settings I should be tinkering with? Ta

I think it depends how you encoded the files. I originally encoded (and still do) all my movies with two soundtracks, an AAC stereo and a AC3 5.1 surround. The AAC stereo was encoded first because I had an iPhone 5S at the time and read somewhere that the stereo track needed to be first to work on iDevices at the time (don't know if still true). So, I always have to manually select the AC3 5.1 audio track prior to watching any of my movies. This is true for both my BD-H6500 and XBox One. Once selected, XBox One at least, appears to remember the selection for the next time we watch the same movie.