Central European Subtitles issue on Plex Media Player

samsung-smart-hub

With Plex abandoning Home Theater I have installed Plex Media Player. It's fine but I have a problem that my serbian/croatian subtitles are not properly presented anymore , but have weird signs instead our specific letters. I could not find anywhere where to set CE code page or something similar neither in PMS setting nor in PMP settings. PHT worked just fine and had those settings.

How to set up proper CE language subtitle in PMP ?

SRT subtitles must use the UTF-8 character encoding.
Then they will work in all Plex clients on all supported platforms.
This allows for mixing all character sets within one file i.e. cyrilic and latin and special characters.

I recommend you to use the free Subtitle Edit,
It can convert all srt files on your hard disk in one run if necessary.

There is also a plex server plugin called srt2utf8 that will check whether your srt file is utf8 and convert it if necessary.

PLugin gets erased every time I restart Plex server … its not working. I do everything by the manual. Copy the srt2utf8.bundle into plugins folder … erase “-master” text. When I start Plex srver, it immediatelly erases the folder I just copied …

@OttoKerner said:
SRT subtitles must use the UTF-8 character encoding.
Then they will work in all Plex clients on all supported platforms.
This allows for mixing all character sets within one file i.e. cyrilic and latin and special characters.

I recommend you to use the free Subtitle Edit,
It can convert all srt files on your hard disk in one run if necessary.

How do I convert the files ? I didnt find that option in the program …

@dendza said:
PLugin gets erased every time I restart Plex server … its not working. I do everything by the manual. Copy the srt2utf8.bundle into plugins folder … erase “-master” text. When I start Plex srver, it immediatelly erases the folder I just copied …

You added it into the wrong Plug-Ins folder
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201187656-How-do-I-manually-install-a-channel-

How do I convert the files ? I didnt find that option in the program …

single subtitle:
load subtitle into SubtitleEdit
on the top there is a Dropdown selector labeled ‘Encoding’
switch it to UTF-8
Save
-done-

several subtitles files at once:
Tools
Batch Convert
Scan Folder
‘Overwrite Original files’
Encoding = Unicode (UTF-8)