Chromecast and Subtitles

chromecast

Hello, I'm having issues playing some files with Chromecast Ultra. The issue is with subtitles, if I play some files WITH subtitles it keeps waiting to cast and after a while the error says it can't cast it.
If I play the same file without the subtitles it plays without a problem.

What can I do? I've already changed settings for subtitles (burn always, auto and as picture) on my mobile app before casting to chromecast...

I'm currently using:
Nvidia shield as server with version: 6.17.0.4824 (b2e10411)
OnePlus Phone running Android 8.0 with Plex version 6.17.0.4824

Attached the logs. The subtitle file is the one downloaded from Agent automatically. It's an SRT file.

I’m having the same exact problem. I’ve also noticed that Plex is now transcoding all of my SRT files over to ASS subtitle format. Why?? I can play ALL of my files without subtitles so something was updated and broke the subtitles code.

Please fix! I have to use subtitles to watch everything and now half my library won’t play.

I’ve searched through the forum but could not find anything recent on this topic.
Any moderator that can provide some informatiin? Or workaround?

WHY? SRT’s work just fine! Fix it.

I even used “Subtitle Edit” to convert a sub to .ass format to test and it still wouldn’t play. Got this instead.

Playback Error
Conversion failed. The transcoder process crashed.

Any answers, please?

Is no one else having this issue?

No one’s even responding in the Plex Pass forums either on this topic.

@Zer0Squared

The library we use for soft subtitle display, libjass consumes ASS subtitles, so SRT subtitles are transcoded to ASS.

It would be helpful if you could supply a subtitle file that causes playback to fail. With a specimen that reproduces the issue, we may be able to zero-in on what exactly is going wrong.

I’d like to. When I try to drag and drop the srt file that causes me problem, it says : the format is not allowed.