Client Ignores Local Server In Favor of Cloud

apple-tv

I do not have Plex Cloud. I have checked it is not listed in my device list. In fact, Plex Web just says “Set Up .....”

Now the Apple TV app loses my selection of my local server and defaults to the cloud server (and plasters News on the screen) on every app launch.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm having this same problem. As if the "News" update wasn't annoying enough on its own, now I have to manually switch servers every day. Have you found a fix?

Click the Cloud setup link. There should be an option to cancel it or opt out once you're in there.
I can't walk you through this because it no longer appears in my dropdown as an option as a result of whatever I did.
That might help remove it as an option for your clients.

@AmazingRando24 said:
Click the Cloud setup link. There should be an option to cancel it or opt out once you're in there.
I can't walk you through this because it no longer appears in my dropdown as an option as a result of whatever I did.

Not sure it worked but I did follow your steps. Seems promising.

Thanks.

@AmazingRando24 said:

So it still does this. I have a separate account I set up and added to my home for the living room tv. I assume that this account might have an associated "set up plex cloud", but I cannot access it. Everytime I go to launch plex online, it takes me into plex home.

Anybody know how to delete that one?

You are not the only one -- it is insanely annoying, and I cannot stop it from doing it. I have also never set-up a "Cloud" account, don't want one, and am getting increasingly irritated that the AppleTV client app insists on connecting to this goddamn thing that I have never used every time it updates, restarts, etc :(

Should just remember the last thing I was connected to (my local server) an reconnect to that...

Same situation. And very usual crushes app when start watch movie.

Unstable network... as i understand when plex lost connection to server it begin looking for servers in alphabetical order, but place local server first.

@partizan76 said:
Unstable network... as i understand when plex lost connection to server it begin looking for servers in alphabetical order, but place local server first.

It is true it does not do it all the time, but I’m not sure my network is unstable. Everything gets powercycled around here often enough. It could be a native Apple TV thing. Where would you start troubleshooting?

But you are right prefer local first or at least make a setting that requires one to check the box on enabling the cloud server.

@elan this is your platform of choice, are you not experiencing this?

hatflix, can you describe your network? i mean equipment. i use different models of ATV with Plex and never see problems like you.

This is so frustrating. Is anyone at Plex planning on fixing this? I shouldn't have to switch servers from cloud, which is entirely empty, to my local server every day.

@partizan76 said:
hatflix, can you describe your network? i mean equipment. i use different models of ATV with Plex and never see problems like you.

I have an ATV4 hardwired to an AirPortExtreme hardwired to a switch in my server room. Then I have a pfsense router doing the main routing. Given I do not see drops or in ability to access the net/network, I do not believe this is my system, but rather something implemented incorrectly.

My main TV has a home user permanently signed in. So, based on another suggesting, I removed the plex cloud setup, that was on my server account. I have not found a way to get my home user (even when signed in with that email and password) to be able to make the plex cloud server disappear. I am continuously prompted to the Home user login.

connection with ISP are stable? Did you use some tuning's in router? packet or window size for TCP ? type of connection, last mile?
pfsense router? why?

No issues with 300/30 from Comcast. No custom tuning. Only using Pfsense because it’s rack mountable. I’m not smart enough to do anything of that other stuff.

really strange... may be you can try for ex. ubiquiti products? i am using 3 different gen of ATV some locally, some remotely - all is fine.

This problem is happening in my home as well. Has anyone found a solution?

I also have this issue and it is really ticking me off! If I select local server it should maintain that and stop going to the cloud. Someone for god sake provide a fix or work around.

Anyone know if Plex fixed this in the updated AppleTV release? I stopped using my Apple TV as a Plex client a few months ago because of how frustrating it is and how confusing my family finds it when "Plex is broken again".

@definition said:
Anyone know if Plex fixed this in the updated AppleTV release? I stopped using my Apple TV as a Plex client a few months ago because of how frustrating it is and how confusing my family finds it when "Plex is broken again".

Haven’t checked yet, but will.

Ok everyone, so I cross posted to the Home discussion group. And this has finally made it to the developers. Maybe we will get if fixed. Check out the thread:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1611123#Comment_1611123