Close Captions not showing on ATV but works on iOS

apple-tv

On a lot of TV episodes there's hidden subtitles in the video file itself. I believe it's called "close captions" which are really handy for me when there's no external SRT-file available.

For some reason these captions doesn't show if i start playing the episode from my Apple TV 4. But I've found a workaround for the problem. If I grab my iPhone and start playing the same episode in the iOS Plex app and manually enable "show close captions" in the menu options, and then cast the show to my "Apple TV" from the Plex iOS app then the captions appear on the TV. The way it should have done in the ATV app.

I've doubled checked on the ATV when playing the episode that the "show close captions" is enabled there as well but that doesn't do anything.

I've had this problem for as long as I can remember. I'm always on the latest version of the public Plex server and the latest versions of the ATV and iOS apps.

Is it a bug? Well of course it is a bug but is there a fix so I don't have to do the iOS workaround every time?