Connection refused to my.plexapp.com after trying the addon

plex-for-kodi

I installed the addon to Kodi, but when I clicked the sign in button, I kept getting thrown back out to the Kodi interface.

So I checked the Kodi log and noticed this:
ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='my.plexapp.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /pins.xml (Caused by NewConnectionError('<requests.packages.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7fbf1e15a110>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 111] Connection refused',))

And when I browse to https://my.plexapp.com in Chrome, I get ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED errors. Browsing to the same address from my mobile network works fine.

So my questions are:
Could the addon contain a bug that flooded your site with requests, activating some sort of anti-DoS measure?
Or could this be caused by some other device running plex on my network?
Is anyone able to take a closer look? I'm a bit hesitant to post my IP here but I'd gladly provide it in a private message.

It shouldn't work any different for auth than PMP, Roku, etc clients do. It must be something else, but since chrome doesn't work anymore, its outside of this add-on specifically.

Might want to post in another section to get visibility by Plex support guys.

Fair enough. I just thought I should raise it here since it seemed like more than coincidence and since I haven't signed into Plex from any other devices recently.

Do any devices work? I would think if you're getting connection refused to my.plexapp.com that none of myplex works now.

Well, it appears that my Pi-hole is a bit overzealous with the ad filtering tonight. Changed my DNS to 8.8.8.8 and everything is peachy. Sorry for the bother but thanks for the assistance. :)

Glad you got it working and let us know what you think of the add-on! Also I hadn't seen pi-hole, that looks pretty neat. If I wasn't already running ad-blocking on my asusWRT router I would look into it further. :)

@Edisman said:
Well, it appears that my Pi-hole is a bit overzealous with the ad filtering tonight. Changed my DNS to 8.8.8.8 and everything is peachy. Sorry for the bother but thanks for the assistance. :)

I'm having the same issue but really don't want to give up my pi-hole (it's great at ad blocking). Is there any way around this?

Whitelist my.plexapp.com in the pi-hole?

@keithah Tried that; white-listed both my.plexapp.com and plexapp.com but still no go.

No idea, never used a pi-hole. You need to talk to them to see why they are blocking it.

I whitelisted my.plexapp.com, plexapp.com and plex.tv and it works for me now. Just make sure to update the filters after whitelisting since it's applied when the filters are generated.