Consistent problems with Plex on AppleTV

apple-tv

My AppleTV seems to have developed some consistent problems when using the Plex App. It will seem to randomly lose connection to my server while in the middle of playing a show or movie. Sometimes I will get a Unable to create a playback session error then it appears to be hung trying to re-connect to the Plex Server.

This seems to have picked frequency now, anyone seen this or have suggestions to help track it down? It only seems to affect my AppleTV my wife has not noticed any problems with our older Roku HD.

@glennbrown - sorry you are experiencing issues. Could it be connection issues? My Apple TV 4 is hard wired to the router and have never experienced any disconnects unless the Plex server is down.

I suppose it could be, I will try to keep a constant ping going from my iMac (my Server) to the AppleTV to see if I have any packet loss. Right now both the server and AppleTV are wireless, I cannot fix that right now due the corporate suite I am in having limited options for hardwiring. The comcast Router they provide has limited ethernet ports the one free one is used by my Synology at the moment.

However like I said the Roku which is also wireless does not have problems plus Netflix and Prime Video do not have problems on the AppleTV.

I am experiencing this too - can’t get through a movie without a transcoder error and playback stopping - seems to have been introduced in the lasted version. Please fix.

@glennbrown said:
Right now both the server and AppleTV are wireless, I cannot fix that right now due the corporate suite I am in having limited options for hardwiring. The comcast Router they provide has limited ethernet ports the one free one is used by my Synology at the moment.

Add a 5 port switch to the router and wire your Apple TV to test for connectivity loss. That would be the best way to rule out a wireless issue.