Couldn't Retrieve the Play Queue for This Item Error on Apple TV

apple-tv

My Plex server running off a Synology NAS has been running flawlessly for the past few months, but as of yesterday evening, I can no longer play any of my files (which are TV / Movies) from my Apple TV.

Playback still works on my PC, Amazon Fire Stick, and phone - I'm even able to airplay my iPhone to the TV in question - but trying to initiate playback from the Apple TV is a bust.

I've tried restarting the NAS, updating Plex Media Server on the NAS, re-installing the app on the TV (and restarting the TV), all of which have had no affect.

Any ideas?

I’m also having this problem since the most recent update to my Plex server (1.12.3.4973). Works from anywhere other than the AppleTV. I toggled Secure Connections on the server from Preferred to Disabled (based on an old thread on this) and it started working again.

@tumbleweed512 said:
I’m also having this problem since the most recent update to my Plex server (1.12.3.4973). Works from anywhere other than the AppleTV. I toggled Secure Connections on the server from Preferred to Disabled (based on an old thread on this) and it started working again.

Thank you! This fixed my problem as well.

For further info on the original problem, I eventually noticed that media would sometimes play after multiple attempts - which was odd.

When toggling Secure Connections to disabled, my Apple TV was unable to connect to the NAS at all. I restarted the server with no change, then restarted the Apple TV. At that point it reconnected and everything seems to be working normally again after a few tests.

I didn’t reboot anything but your experience does remind me that I killed the Plex app on the AppleTV while troubleshooting (double tab the screen button on the AppleTV remote to do that).