Delete After Watch

plex-classic-for-roku

I saw this question in another post about adding the feature of being able to delete tv shows from the roku box. It's a feature that would save me lots of time and effort trying to remember what shows I've watched and delete them off my server. I was just wondering if this is something in the works or is it possible and I just haven't found it yet? Thanks for the help.

A feature like that does not currently exist and is not in the works. Speaking personally, not any sort of official stance, I'm leery of automatically deleting files. After you watch something, it'll be marked as watched. So you can always browse by watched/unwatched.

I use windows media center to watch record shows and roku to watch them. So after I watch a show I don't really need it anymore. I just go onto the computer a try to remember which ones I've watched and delete them manually. It would be cool if it asked for a password pin or something so the kids can't delete it by mistake.

[quote name='schuyler' timestamp='1348704680' post='298666']

A feature like that does not currently exist and is not in the works. Speaking personally, not any sort of official stance, I'm leery of automatically deleting files. After you watch something, it'll be marked as watched. So you can always browse by watched/unwatched.

[/quote]

The best option would just be to have a delete show option like there is in the Windows, Mac & Samsung clients :)

I don't know about others' usage cases but I use my Plex server like a DVR, not like a media library. Most of the time when I am finished watching an episode or a movie I want to delete it (storage is cheap but not that cheap).

I would like to see an option that has to be enabled that will pop up a dialog with something like "Would you like to delete that episode/file? Yes. No."

If you are worried about inadvertently deleting someone's prized media files then how about moving the files to a trashcan that is out of the media library. I can choose when to empty the trash and it would sure beat the heck out of manually browsing my media library and deleting files I don't want anymore.

Thanks.

[quote name='gimpyestrada' timestamp='1351872006' post='307650']

I don't know about others' usage cases but I use my Plex server like a DVR, not like a media library. Most of the time when I am finished watching an episode or a movie I want to delete it (storage is cheap but not that cheap).

I would like to see an option that has to be enabled that will pop up a dialog with something like "Would you like to delete that episode/file? Yes. No."

If you are worried about inadvertently deleting someone's prized media files then how about moving the files to a trashcan that is out of the media library. I can choose when to empty the trash and it would sure beat the heck out of manually browsing my media library and deleting files I don't want anymore.

Thanks.

[/quote]

Exactly!!! Had to make a forum account just for this. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add this option.

How it should work: The delete option would Have to be enabled in the settings, then the delete show option would then be available to select, when selected, a dialog opens asking you to confirm it.

I have a headless Win 7 server/nas / HD Homerun Dual / SageTV / Plex Server setup, using Plex on the Roku to watch in the bedroom most of the time, and deleting a watch show requires, opening the VNC app on the iPhone, connecting to my server and deleting the show/s. Not a big deal, but a delete option within the Roku/Plex channel would be just wonderful. :P :P :P

By the way, since this is my first post, here's a big thanks to all involved in making this Plex channel possible and continuing to support it, We're really loving it!

If it is ever added, there should be an option to disable it in the client. While some use Plex as a DVR, many of us have extensive libraries of episodes and would not want to inadvertently lose one.

If there's enough demand for it, it should be disabled in settings by default.

[quote name='agregjones' timestamp='1352161465' post='308397']

If it is ever added, there should be an option to disable it in the client. While some use Plex as a DVR, many of us have extensive libraries of episodes and would not want to inadvertently lose one.

If there's enough demand for it, it should be disabled in settings by default.

[/quote]

There's a preference on the Plex Media Server for whether clients should be allowed to delete media. If you turn that off, none of the clients will show the delete option.

Here's another vote for some kind of 'Delete' function via the Roku client interface. Like @fredmarkle, we have no need to keep an archive for the bulk of the shows we watch regularly and it's becoming tedious to have to remember which shows we've watched and delete them manually through Windows Explorer. Pretty please?

[quote name='optikhog' timestamp='1352753505' post='309991']

Here's another vote for some kind of 'Delete' function via the Roku client interface. Like @fredmarkle, we have no need to keep an archive for the bulk of the shows we watch regularly and it's becoming tedious to have to remember which shows we've watched and delete them manually through Windows Explorer. Pretty please?

[/quote]

And another vote. I actually use PMS both ways. Some things I like to archive, others I just want to watch and delete.

Another vote! It's easy on my Roku to see which one's I've watched because they say "watched" which is nice. But when I go to my PC, I can't remember which one's I've watched, and it's much harder to determine.

Thanks for Plex though! It's awesome and it's making me much closer to being able to cut the cord!

I can't understand why a delete option is not standard. It doesn't exist for my GTV Plex, Roku, MediaLink. It's very inconvenient.

Philip

[quote name='pmcd' timestamp='1352924712' post='310457']

I can't understand why a delete option is not standard. It doesn't exist for my GTV Plex, Roku, MediaLink. It's very inconvenient.

Philip

[/quote]

It needs to be in every single client. One of the perks of Plex is its amazing Library system, and potential DVR functionality.

Plus one...the ability to delete from Roku would be very useful

[quote name='unisonruss' timestamp='1352932991' post='310476']

It needs to be in every single client. One of the perks of Plex is its amazing Library system, and potential DVR functionality.

[/quote]

Agreed it works on my samsung but not my roku in bedroom.

Looks like a Delete function was committed to the repository on December 4th so now we just need a client which uses the commits and this issue should be resolved.

Indeed, among lots of other goodies. :] Update is in review, but it's hard to come up with an ETA. I'll post more details when we get approved...

[quote name='schuyler' timestamp='1354900052' post='322263']
Indeed, among lots of other goodies. :] Update is in review, but it's hard to come up with an ETA. I'll post more details when we get approved...

[/quote]

Most excellent info, thanks!!! Have these commits been pushed to the 'plextest' private channel perhaps? :)

+1 for delete function from ALL clients. Roku, Android, all of them.

[quote name='trunzoc' timestamp='1358958152' post='344679']

+1 for delete function from ALL clients. Roku, Android, all of them.

[/quote]

The Roku has a delete function now. You may find someone more knowledgeable in the Android forums, but I think it's slated for an upcoming release.