Direct Play HEVC on LG Smart TV with WEB OS 3 using the Plex App

smart-tv

#1

I`m trying to direct play HEVC coded MKV files on my LG Smart TV with Web OS 3 with the Plex App. But it seems that the Plex Server is always transcoding them to H264. The Problem is that the server itself is to slow for transcoding them without lags. The files were played smoothly on the TV if I tried them on a Flash Drive directly plugged into the TV. So the TV is capable of playing HEVC.

Minor Detail: In Transcoding on the Server the video stream is marked as h264 (...Like H265 isnt recognized...) transcoding to h264, the audio is marked as direct play. Its definitely a H265 and not a H264.

Also: Plex Server is running as a service.


#2

I haven't found a way to do this through plex yet, but you can use the LG's DLNA client to direct play.


#3

DLNA won't do it for me because I really like the comfort and organisation of the Plex app.

Isn't there any way stop the server from transcoding.


#4

Needs to be MP4 .. won't work with MKV:
support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/203810286-What-media-formats-are-supported-

4K (UHD) Direct Play Video Support
Some 4K (ultra high definition) devices are recognized by the Plex app. We're working to bring 4K playback support to other devices, too. 4K/UHD content matching the following will Direct Play on supported devices:

  • Container: MP4
  • Resolution: 3840x2160 or smaller
  • Video Encoding: HEVC (H.265)
  • Video Frame Rate: 30fps
  • Video Bit Depth: 8

4K content not matching the above properties will be transcoded to 1080p. Transcoding 4K content is a very intensive process and will require a powerful computer running Plex Media Server.


#5

It's not 4k only 1080. But if MKV Containers are not supported yet, that might be the problem.

In the other hand I tried XPlay on my LG and the app direct played the hvec, so I guess it's the app that has the problem.


#6

I've been struggling with this. So my LG Super UHD tv can support MKV, x265, HevC etc, and can direct play from my Plex Server using the TV's build in Video app, but I can't Direct Play form the Web OS Plex App? Can you confirm that this is correct? It's certainly what I'm experiencing. Any news on when this will be fixed?


#7

@gordonrobb said:
I've been struggling with this. So my LG Super UHD tv can support MKV, x265, HevC etc, and can direct play from my Plex Server using the TV's build in Video app, but I can't Direct Play form the Web OS Plex App? Can you confirm that this is correct? It's certainly what I'm experiencing. Any news on when this will be fixed?

It's confirmed. It's also confirmed that they do not care. Just give up and use the Photo/Video player for direct play of 4k / any HEVC.


#8

Yeah may aswell give up with the lg Plex app. The Plex devs working on the lg app just ignore us. Not even a simple, were aware of the issues. The official lg Plex app cannot direct play anything it seems. Just purchase X-Play and be done with it. You'll be waiting years for even a response otherwise.


#9

@l3uddz said:
Yeah may aswell give up with the lg Plex app. The Plex devs working on the lg app just ignore us. Not even a simple, were aware of the issues. The official lg Plex app cannot direct play anything it seems. Just purchase X-Play and be done with it. You'll be waiting years for even a response otherwise.

What's x-play?


#10

This sucks big time. You can play everything but, it will not work. Local media player on WebOS works better than this.


#11

I was trying to figure out why my media kept skipping while trying to watch a movie today. Turns out it was because Plex was insisting on needlessly transcoding my HEVC file :(


#12

Gotta try emby today, supposed to have direct play for HEVC, if it works i think its time to move on from Plex as they have zero love for LG users


#13

tested out 4k HEVC HDR10 movies today. i tested all the videos and movies i had which was 70 of them. all played back smoothly with the hdr metadata and in an mkv file with the plex DLNA option on an lg uh850v.

but when it comes to playing it back on the plex app it just fails cause it needs to transcode it and when it does so it also fails moving over the hdr metadata correct aswell.

this really should be fixed in this day and age as this will be more common as the time goes on.
so if this is an issue with the player in the plex app, why cant we atleast have an option to use the native player?
unsure if it was directly playing or if it was direct streaming. in either case the playback was smooth, can come back with a reply on that one.

then again, the tv supports mkv out of the box while plex is listed to not. i really find it weird and sad cause of the limits mp4 has when it comes to the audio codecs you can use.


#14

I tried to configure a custom profile to support the TV [it uses the 'HTML TV App' profile], unfortunately my understanding of how the files work meant I did not get very far!
Anyone here any good with custom profiles?


#15

I tend to use the XPLAY app instead - I have tried modifying the HTML TV App profile, but it seems that the app itself sends queues as to what it can and cannot play... ridiculous!


#16

That's embarrassing. If XPLAY can do it why not Plex?? It's high time that PLEX addresses DIRECT PLAY of x265 HEVC in whatever container, mp4, mkv or otherwise. XPLAY on LG's WebOS flawlessly Direct Plays 10bit x265 HEVC (H.265) in mkv container without the need for the Plex server to transcode anything. That's just embarrassing.


#17

really hate that this thread is accepted when its not acceptable when a 3rd party client handles it better in so many ways than the official LG client.


#18

@CuddleBear92 said:
really hate that this thread is accepted when its not acceptable when a 3rd party client handles it better in so many ways than the official LG client.

Have you tried the latest version? Plex now plays properly without transcoding.


#19

@Ockingshay said:

@CuddleBear92 said:
really hate that this thread is accepted when its not acceptable when a 3rd party client handles it better in so many ways than the official LG client.

Have you tried the latest version? Plex now plays properly without transcoding.

You are correct @Ockingshay . Looks like most of what I said below is now addressed. Just re-started my PMS - not sure if they updated it, or did they update LG app?

It's now DIRECT PLAYING 10bit HEVC in mkv container nicely. Haven't tried any UHD 4k files yet but 1080p 10bit HEVC x265 (H.265) is working as direct play!!! Plex + LG OLED = lovely.


#20

I noticed a change too. But my server only seems to direct stream all hvec files. But also Direct stream doesnt work at all. I Always get a time out.