Direct play of 4K content with subtitles - Buffering

smart-tv

Hi all,

I currently have DeUHD to enable me to backup my 4K HDR10 movies which, when I play through my Samsung Smart TV plays flawlessly, the content plays through Direct Play and despite the files being circa 50Gb the playback is uninterrupted and flawless.

Unless, they have a subtitle track. For instance, I have Spider-Man Homecoming which has some very brief subtitles near the beginning so I extracted them and added them to the MKV file (I tried both SRT and SUP) and when playing the file on the TV it acts like its buffering the content.

PMS states that the video stream is playing via Direct Stream as does the audio but above it says "Converting (Throttled)".

I was under the impression that the subtitles would be handled by my TV? Have I just reached a limitation of what my TV can do or is this the PMS itself?

I squeezed the file down to a ridiculously low bitrate/file size and the problem still occurs.

The only way i've managed to get around it is to recode the movie and burn the subtitles directly into the video stream.

Thanks

Paul.

Subtitles are being burnt in, so it’s transcoding. Not sure if that’s as heavy as a regular transcode or not.

@“Dr Tone” said:
Subtitles are being burnt in, so it’s transcoding. Not sure if that’s as heavy as a regular transcode or not.

Thanks, I guess I kinda answered my own question to some extent, I figured if it was showing “Direct Stream” for both video and audio streams then it would be the player displaying the subtitles not the PMS.