Direct Streaming or Transcoding always buffering - Samsung UE46D6500

samsung-smart-hub

Hi everybody,
Here my configuration :
Synology NAS DS916+ (8Gb) => Plex Server
My TV is a Samsung UE46D6500

I try to enjoy the plex app but I always have a problem with english video subtitles enabled.
If I Direct play this video I have no subtitles so It's necessary for me to play it with direct stream or transcoding to enable my subtitles.
I try to change different options on the player preferences on my tv like this :
Preferences -> Player and set them to:
Initial Buffer: 5MB
Pending Buffer: 10MB or 15MB
Total Buffer: 15MB or 20MB

But results are the same.
So I try to change options on my plex server

Configuration on my plex server is
Streaming quality
Local quality : original
Remote quality : 4mbps 720p (works well on my stepfather tv : UE55HU6900)
Online quality : original

If I change local quality to any option It does not fix my problem.
The only way for me is to play it directly on my Freebox Player so I need to transfer my video from my NAS to my Freebox HDD.

Do you have any idea ?
Thanks for everything !

The problem is your server. Since that is a NAS it's just not powerful enough to do transcoding (which is needed to view internal subtitles on your model TV). When using a NAS as server the only option is to use Direct Play. If you want subtitles with that you need to have a .srt file with the same name as the video file next to it on your PMS.

If the video is in the mkv format, you could use this tool I made to extract the subtitles from it.

Thanks orca for your answer.
But synology tell that my model can transcode or stream 4K content or full HD 1080 without problem for my smarttv. And It works very well on my stepfather's TV.

Specs are below :
https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS916+
CPU
CPU Model Intel Pentium N3710
CPU Architecture 64-bit
CPU Frequency Quad Core 1.6 burst up to 2.56 GHz
Hardware Encryption Engine (AES-NI)
Hardware Transcoding Engine H.264 (AVC), H.265 (HEVC), MPEG-2 and VC-1; maximum resolution: 4K (4096 x 2160); maximum frame rate per second (FPS): 30
Memory
System Memory 8 GB DDR3

I'm not sure that Plex if the PMS is using any of the Synology hardware to enhance the playback.
You would have to ask around in the server forum.

I'm experiencing the same issue with Direct Play working but Direct Stream constantly buffering even with an overly beefy 6-core i7 in the server and when no video transcoding is being performed.

Server: 1.7.2.3878
Client: Samsung Tizen 3.0 and Web Client
Video: anything 4K or high bitrate 1080p

If playing without subtitles, Direct Play is enabled and all is fine and smooth. However, if srt subtitles are requested (no transcoding still!!) both the web and Tizen clients fall back to direct stream and the link speed drops to 30mbps and buffers constantly. The same happens when selecting an audio stream that had to be transcoded: mode falls back to direct stream, and the link speed never gets above 30mbps and buffers constantly. In neither of these cases is the video transcoded or the server CPU is put under any appreciable load. Just seems to be a problem with the way Direct Stream is implemented.

Result: Video that is perfectly playable in Direct Play mode is rendered unplayable when enabling an srt subtitle even though no transcoding is being done.

@jamezracer said:
I'm experiencing the same issue with Direct Play working but Direct Stream constantly buffering even with an overly beefy 6-core i7 in the server and when no video transcoding is being performed.

Server: 1.7.2.3878
Client: Samsung Tizen 3.0 and Web Client
Video: anything 4K or high bitrate 1080p

You are in the wrong forum, the Tizen app forum is here.

Hello la communauté.
Alors voici ma solution au final:

• Si je cherche à faire du transcodage avec des sous titres je passe par une Google ChromeCast et cela fonctionne très bien sans lags ou mise en buffer....

• Pour tout le reste je continue d'utiliser le client plex intégré à ma télévision...

C'est un peu exotique je vous l'accorde mais cela fera l'affaire jusqu'au changement de la télévision pour un autre modèle.