Do you prefer PLEX for iOS v4 or v5

ios

A little poll to see how many actually prefer the new UI with content first (v5) over the old way with browse posibility (v4)

Select your prefered version

I voted for the New UI because I figured that it was the minority. But in reality, I like them both about the same. I didn’t really mind the old one but in the new version, I like that I can easily reorganize how everything is displayed, get rid of (or at least hide) sections that I don’t use. It just kind of works the way my brain thinks it should. But it’s kind of like the difference between Windows & Mac. I prefer Mac…I’ve used them since the original Mac 128k all the way up to my current 27" iMac. The MacOS works the way my brain thinks it should. When I sit down at a Windows PC, I can generally use it but it just frustrates me to do so and everything takes me longer. There is nothing ‘wrong’ with Windows I guess…it’s just a hassle for me to use. I think that’s whats going on with this app right now.

@Agent_Cooper said:
I voted for the New UI because I figured that it was the minority. But in reality, I like them both about the same. I didn’t really mind the old one but in the new version, I like that I can easily reorganize how everything is displayed, get rid of (or at least hide) sections that I don’t use. It just kind of works the way my brain thinks it should. But it’s kind of like the difference between Windows & Mac. I prefer Mac…I’ve used them since the original Mac 128k all the way up to my current 27" iMac. The MacOS works the way my brain thinks it should. When I sit down at a Windows PC, I can generally use it but it just frustrates me to do so and everything takes me longer. There is nothing ‘wrong’ with Windows I guess…it’s just a hassle for me to use. I think that’s whats going on with this app right now.

Theres no right or wrong answer, and its not like the poll is going to change anything but its meant to see how people actually use PLEX.
Not that I want to go compare Windows with Mac nor *nix. And maybe not really relevant to this. However the problem for me is exactly like yours that the new version dont think like my brain, becouse its creating a totally different categorizing than my brain wants to. You cant merge my way of catagorizing with plex way of doing it appearently. I know what movies is in my collection i do not need plex to tell me whats top rated unseen, i just want to see my own categorization, as easy as posible, and that can plex v5 not deliver at the moment. :slight_smile:

I am not able to access all my libraries with the new UI.
For instance I have audio books and music.

The ONLY thing that shows up under music is audio books.

V5 …shall always be in favour of PLEX customisation what ever the app… more the better as far as I am concerned. Keep it coming PLEX Devs !

Hi everyone!
I’ ve occasionally updated to version 5.
and i can’t found where to select plex server (cloud, my server, or local content)

have anyone found where they moved this configuration?

@8karim said:
Hi everyone!
I’ ve occasionally updated to version 5.
and i can’t found where to select plex server (cloud, my server, or local content)

have anyone found where they moved this configuration?

You need to select that from inside every category top left.

Libraries all day. I have libraries for Movie, Adult, music videos, tv , stand up comedy , and so on. Basically however my brain splits content up is how I split up content among Libraries. The Adult section lets me restrict content that kids shouldn’t see pretty easily.

The new interface goes completely against this and makes finding anything a chore.

@TheeGooch said:
Libraries all day. I have libraries for Movie, Adult, music videos, tv , stand up comedy , and so on. Basically however my brain splits content up is how I split up content among Libraries. The Adult section lets me restrict content that kids shouldn’t see pretty easily.

The new interface goes completely against this and makes finding anything a chore.

+1 to everything you said

First, let me say I’m a huge Plex fan and evangelist. I’m always telling everyone about it and promoting its use.

But!, the new UI is awful! I don’t want to be too negative, but here are my main frustrations:

1. Seeing other people’s server contents in my search results is bad news. I don’t want that to happen unless I go back to the home screen and select a different server, like it used to be.

2. The weird “home”-style screens for each library type is frustrating when you have things separated. For example, I have two “music libraries,” one for actual music, and one for old-time radio. I also have various picture libraries for me, my wife, old family photos, etc. I would greatly prefer to go back to the old browse screen where you saw a library icon for each one, rather than these awkward drop downs within each media type.

I understand that as developers you can sometimes be too close to things and be really proud of new features, even when they’re not improvements. So I don’t want to be a jerk about it. But I really want the old UI back! Can you put a slider in the settings that switches between old and new UIs?

I tried to like the new version, I really did, but I just don’t.

I am not adverse to change if it make things better, but for my usage, this change did not…

It might be fine if you have a couple of libraries, but once you have multiple servers, loads of libraries and friends servers as well it becomes pretty horrible very quickly.

And the fact that the search function now searches all the servers was the last straw.

I have quite a few different servers (with different capabilities for things like transcoding abilities), some of which are just used for testing stuff, so i really don’t need or want to see content from these servers in search results unless I explicitly selected them.

In the end I have gone through the slightly painful process to get the old version, which included installing a version of iTunes that still supports apps, then using CharlesProxy to find and force a download of the old version.

Finally got it and will be sticking with that version for as long as it keeps working. After that I might have to look at infuse.

But based on previous experience, I expect they will just ignore the negative feedback and carry on regardless.
(of course I would love to be wrong, and they will bring back or add some way of selecting servers in the new version, but I am not holding my breath…)

I don’t mind the new UI, but I need an option to display the server name (not Username) next to a library section. I have two servers under the same user, both named TV Shows, and now you can’t tell them apart without trial and error.

i can’t think of a single reason why you would not want to pick the server your IOS content is being shown from. i keep an entirely different server as a full backup in case my primary server fails or is being maintenanced. Now the entire home screen for the IOS app is says everything is offline and not watchable because it’s looking at the backup server that is not turned on. WHY would i not want to pick where the media is coming from? That makes no sense at all and now the home screen is useless. it should at the very least be an option to pick the source of the media.

@timnhill said:
Now the entire home screen for the IOS app is says everything is offline and not watchable because it’s looking at the backup server that is not turned on. WHY would i not want to pick where the media is coming from? That makes no sense at all and now the home screen is useless. it should at the very least be an option to pick the source of the media.

It may depends on how you have your home screen set up and what you have it showing…but for me, what worked was to change the order of the servers I have available. You go into a library, hit the “Sources” button in my upper left corner (iOS), hit “edit” and then put them in the order you want. For me, it only seems to pull info from the first server in the list.

@TheeGooch said:

This sums it up. The new version corrals you into a way of organising content that to me makes no sense at all. I’d have loved to see a way added to the client for individual users to put titles in their own favourite categories locally, like their personal favourites or a list of what they’ll watch next. The wholesale changes enacted seem inflexible and make no reference to how users organise their own libraries. Basically awful.

There are some nice new features but overall I like the ‘old way’ better. I too have multiple libraries with different types of content and the old way was faster, easier, and more intuitive to use. The fact that there are issues with content appearing in my child’s managed account that are not age appropriate and they have never been granted access to doesn’t help either.

I would have voted new if they fixed any of the bugs that were present in V4 that are still on V5. They just slapped lipstick on a pig.

Definitely old, new one seems to be focused on “advertising” what’s in my library to me, I know what’s in there, I put it there! I just want a quick and simple way to get to it and this update version makes that harder.

While I’m all for telling Plex that the new GUI is not what most wanted ( we wanted customization of home screen ) it won’t change a bit. Look at PMP thread where there’s almost 400 votes and roughly 60 % hate the UI while only 30 % Love it.

They still rolled GUI to Xbox, Android and now iOS.

Do you really think they listen to any of us ?

With Facebook, Google and similar, you’re not paying for anything so it’s expected that you’re the product and whole experience is steered by marketing. With Plex, it’s starting to feel like experience is driven by someone whos only interest is emailing various blogs with new marketing screenshots so that they write up Plex stories to get the number of users up.

I think we’d all be fine with Content first changes if the browse option was still available as a default view. Many of us have multiple sub-libraries for various reasons, and not having the option to view them easily makes this app less functional and user-friendly. Here’s a tip — the Netflix interface sucks because you can’t browse the complete library. Adopting that does Plex no favors. I’d rather see time spent in making all of your platforms more consistent, such as Collection settings being recognized across all of your apps. The new and suggested content is nice (and updates to that look impressive), but I think you now realize how important a complete library view is to your users. Please at least allow us that option.