DS718+ Memory Upgrade

server-synology

Is it better to get memory that has a higher MHZ rating or a lower CAS latency value? I am looking at DDR3L-1866 memory that has a CAS value of 11, but I could buy DDR3L-1600 memory that has a CAS value of 9. My gut is telling me the latency number is more important but I would like to hear what others have done.

Steve,
Go by the spec first and foremost.

Synology tells us it’s configured for:

DS718+ Intel Celeron J3455 Quad Core 4 Yes Apollolake DDR3L SO-DIMM

Looking up the CPU at Intel https://ark.intel.com/products/95594/Intel-Celeron-Processor-J3455-2M-Cache-up-to-2_3-GHz

Intel shows us the CPU has two compatible types.

Memory Types 
DDR3L/LPDDR3 up to 1866 MT/s; LPDDR4 up to 2400 MT/s

The common element here is DDR3L up to 1866 MT. The difference between the two is not detectable unless you’re doing extreme overclocking but otherwise 1866 with 2 extra memory clocks to wait brings you back closer to 1600. Why have the CPU spin and wait? Let the memory be ready for it at CL9.

Therefore, DDR3L, PC1600 (1600 Mhz), CL9 with a dual channel “kit”

Thanks Chuck! Like yourself I am an old dog who’s best days are behind him, but I still love my technology! Thank you for helping me make my DS718+ more than a simple DNS/DHCP server. I am breathing new life into this device, and so far I like what I see. I am also impressed by the J3455 proc. Its a workhorse!

Who are you talking about? My best days are still to come! :smiley:

My DS1815+ is my Synology development system. (definitely tongue-in-cheek on that one) HAHA