DSM 6.2 Beta and Hardware Transcoding

server-synology

I updated my DS416play to DSM 6.2-22259 and it appears to have broken hardware transcoding. The option is still in the plex server settings as "checked" but is not utilizing hardware transcoding (checked in now playing and seeing CPU utilization at 99%). Prior to updating, hardware transcoding was working well, for the exception of some quality issues. Wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior?

Can you revert back to DSM 6.1 ? If so, I strongly advise it.

No testing is done for OS distributions while in Beta because of the potential for false errors and/or moving specifications.

Chuck - first just wanted to say you are always extremely helpful and appreciate all the support and insight you give on the forums!

I 100% didn’t think through this before updating to 6.2 and also just realized that Synology doesn’t make it easy to downgrade either … bonehead move on my part. Going to do some research online to see if I can find a workaround to downgrade. Will definitely remember this in the future before upgrading my OS.

Thanks again! - Tyler

Tyler,

Synology should let you reload the .PAT file for your DSM version on top of the Beta. This WILL reinstall DSM effectively.

I would call them and get help. They can back it down for you.

That said, Backup your config before you put it into DSM-reset mode

Then use the Synology Assistant to bring it back up where you can reload your config.

Just don't sit on that reset button too long!!! :)

Looks like it is still requiring 6.2 … tried migration and tried clean install. Might have found an SSH workaround but still researching.

In the past, we could edit the Versions file and fool it into thinking it had a lower version OS installed. I don't know if that's still viable.

Back to the original problem .... I have the same/similar issue. If I transcode MKV FHD with DTS from my DSM 6.2 beta with the actual PSM version I have also issues in quality. I'm using the Plex app on a Samsung TV. If I stream only, everything is fine.
If I start a movie with transcoding it is working well, but sometimes quality goes really poor. I was also checking the CPU load and there is a high load but not more then 80-90% .... and this is only in the beginning of transcoding. I think not that DSM ist responsible for that, maybe the transcoding got wrong values from system and is going down with the load and also the quality.

Initially, the CPU will be high as it fills the buffers.
The quality concerns you have are because of the GPU and libvaapi 1.7. Nothing can be done about this until Intel releases 2.0 sometime later this year (we hope before Christmas). If you read the comments on 01.org, you'll see the comments.

@ChuckPA said:
The quality concerns you have are because of the GPU and libvaapi 1.7. Nothing can be done about this until Intel releases 2.0 sometime later this year (we hope before Christmas). If you read the comments on 01.org, you'll see the comments.

So this issue quality are definitely resolved in 2.0?

Would you be able to provide a link to the comments you referred to?

Thanks

2.0 is still in beta / pre-release by Intel.

We have no idea what actually has been changed.

Here's a starting point. Feel free to look around . https://github.com/01org/libva