Dumping Roku, Plex on the Roku support has just been terrible

roku

I have had nothing but issues with Roku/Plex. Constant crashes, still no live record. Now only Plex on roku will not allow live tv to play just happened last night while watching a show. Midway through the show it crashed as it does all the time, now live tv cannot be played on just roku devices (works fine on all other players tested). rebooted the plex server, rebooted roku, said a prayer, still live tv cannot be started. Roku plays all recorded shows and movies just not live TV. I'm done with it and very upset that I paid for a lifetime plex pass for such piss poor development. Stop saying Roku is compatible with plex until it is

I have 2 Roku TV’s and 3 Roku Externals 2 sticks and 1 Express all work fine. I think you need to take a look at your wifi Network

same here i have a Roku Stick Express and i have no problem, try to update your PMS or try to update plex app on roku or use the beta one

do you have that problem with live tv only or with other media ?

@DDimit said:
I have 2 Roku TV’s and 3 Roku Externals 2 sticks and 1 Express all work fine. I think you need to take a look at your wifi Network

Its connected wired. Also all content on the plex media server works fine. even recorded shows. just Live tv is borked and only on roku/plex

@Seven_ said:
same here i have a Roku Stick Express and i have no problem, try to update your PMS or try to update plex app on roku or use the beta one

only live tv and on roku ultra and roku stick. even on firestick live tv works fine.

@Seven_ said:

tried to update roku first last night and tried the beta one. both fail just live tv playback

Here’s what I just found on my setup. After the last PLEX upgrade my PMS would crash on any request from an AppleTV, a ROKU, or the web interface. This happened both BEFORE and AFTER the 1803 update that got applied to my PMS host today.

I started looking through a lot of the threads and it seems there are many issues which PLEX is not addressing.

I determined if I turned off transcoding hardware acceleration the crashes stopped. I’ve got a 4th gen i7-4770 as my host machine. Its graphics driver hadn’t changed since November of 2017. I reinstalled the driver, turned hardware acceleration back on and it’s now working again. I suspect PLEX corrupted something. Since the release in late March I’ve had to manually download and install all PLEX updates as the web option would fail.

Anyway, reinstalling the graphics driver for my 4th gen seems to have fixed the crashes. Glad I got to have the privilege to pay for this lack of support from PLEX.

@Smokindog said:
Here’s what I just found on my setup. After the last PLEX upgrade my PMS would crash on any request from an AppleTV, a ROKU, or the web interface. This happened both BEFORE and AFTER the 1803 update that got applied to my PMS host today.

I started looking through a lot of the threads and it seems there are many issues which PLEX is not addressing.

I determined if I turned off transcoding hardware acceleration the crashes stopped. I’ve got a 4th gen i7-4770 as my host machine. Its graphics driver hadn’t changed since November of 2017. I reinstalled the driver, turned hardware acceleration back on and it’s now working again. I suspect PLEX corrupted something. Since the release in late March I’ve had to manually download and install all PLEX updates as the web option would fail.

Anyway, reinstalling the graphics driver for my 4th gen seems to have fixed the crashes. Glad I got to have the privilege to pay for this lack of support from PLEX.

I really don’t know what happened to plex and its development. I’m assuming its all going towards VR? They are going to lose me as a customer soon. Too bad I bought the lifetime plex pass. Maybe in 5 years they will have finished the VR garbage and start to fixing things

I agree. Lots of bugs in Plex client software. Quality has deteriorated from 1 to 2 years ago.

This thread intrigues me. I have zero problems playing any of my media on my Rokus. My Ultra and my Roku 3 are about as close to flawless as any client I have and I have a Shield TV, Fire TV and a Raspberry PI as well as the Rokus. The only one of those that has a consistent picture as good as or better than my Rokus is the Shield and I detest the interface on the Shield.

I also do not really like the interface on the Roku either as the direction it has taken makes it harder to use than it should be BUT it is WAY better than any others I use regularly.

I have heard that there may be a major rewrite in the works for the Roku but I do not have high hopes anything will improve as Plex has never listened much to users and they have pretty much neutered the development team on the Roku.

@Elijah_Baley

@Elijah_Baley said:
This thread intrigues me. I have zero problems playing any of my media on my Rokus. My Ultra and my Roku 3 are about as close to flawless as any client I have and I have a Shield TV, Fire TV and a Raspberry PI as well as the Rokus. The only one of those that has a consistent picture as good as or better than my Rokus is the Shield and I detest the interface on the Shield.

I also do not really like the interface on the Roku either as the direction it has taken makes it harder to use than it should be BUT it is WAY better than any others I use regularly.

I have heard that there may be a major rewrite in the works for the Roku but I do not have high hopes anything will improve as Plex has never listened much to users and they have pretty much neutered the development team on the Roku.

I do agree with what is being stated here. My whole issue is with the updates that happen from time to time and don’t really offer anything useful for the client.

@wdelarme said:
I have had nothing but issues with Roku/Plex. Constant crashes, still no live record. Now only Plex on roku will not allow live tv to play just happened last night while watching a show. Midway through the show it crashed as it does all the time, now live tv cannot be played on just roku devices (works fine on all other players tested). rebooted the plex server, rebooted roku, said a prayer, still live tv cannot be started. Roku plays all recorded shows and movies just not live TV. I’m done with it and very upset that I paid for a lifetime plex pass for such piss poor development. Stop saying Roku is compatible with plex until it is

Since they finally fixed the tv recording bug introed in Jan release, I haven’t had much issues other than storms coming thru that mess up recordings and my Rokus work fine.

@Elijah_Baley said:

I really like the Roku Plex interface, as the FireTv/Android interfaces are terrible. Not sure about the AppleTv, I don’t have one. Note that I never watch live Tv using Plex, only use Plex for recording Tv and viewing movie/Tv collections. That said, it seems that Plex server updates sometimes breaks Tv recording, but so far so good for now (will not hop on any new updates until others try it). To me, getting the tv guide, fixing bugs, etc are more important to the other new stuff like News, VR, etc.

It’s really pitiful that the Roku still can’t record tv for one. The Roku also crashed about once a day. I switched to appletv and its much more stable

Was just about to get Ruko… but now don’t know!

Recording would be nice… what’s the best streamer to go for?

@drandy said:

Roku. Just setup recordings from the web interface.

The only other streamer that I have or have tested that I could recommend is the Shield TV and I detest the interface on that device but it does work pretty well.

@Elijah_Baley said:

@drandy said:

The only other streamer that I have or have tested that I could recommend is the Shield TV and I detest the interface on that device but it does work pretty well.

appletv works very well. Also allows recording

I have both the AppleTV and various ROKU’s (all 2017 from Ultra to Streaming Stick).

AppleTV has its fair share of issues too. Loses access to Program Guide and the remote is way too “touchy” for me. I prefer tactile buttons for a TV remote. ATV does NOT have a power button so you’re back in “two remote land”. ROKU has a tablet/smartphone/Windows remote app that works well. It’s a preference. True, ATV can set a recording and see recording schedules and other data.

However, even with the “enhanced features” I prefer the UI on my ROKUs and they’re 1/2 the price for a 4K device (Ultra vs ATV). BTW, I haven’t tested 4K on either.

Streaming stick+ is on sale in Sams Clubs for $55 right now!

@wdelarme said:

@Elijah_Baley said:

@drandy said:

appletv works very well. Also allows recording

I agree 100% on the price issue and the appltv’s stupid remote. I havent seen anything major with the program guide though

@wdelarme said:
I agree 100% on the price issue and the appltv’s stupid remote. I havent seen anything major with the program guide though

It’s shown up with the recent problems of PMS crashing every “ten minutes”. Seems you need to reboot the ATV to get it to “reconnect” with the program guide, not just restart the PLEX app on the ATV. Haven’t really chased it down though, I keep it right now as a side by side to the ROKU to help ID issues. Got the ATV for “free” with the 3 month subscription to DTV Now. “Canceling” both :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I agree with this! I have a Roku TV and I loved the combo before. Now I have a ton of issues with recorded shows from Plex. While I don’t watch live TV on the plex, I rely heavily it for recorded shows. I am very disappointed that this is a priority for the Plex Roku team. They keep adding new features when the current features are sub-par. Don’t get me wrong, I love everything else Plex has to offer but this is crippling for me.

I have another post to see if other are having similar issues. forums.plex.tv/discussion/320674/roku-issues-with-ts-dvr-files#latest