Embedded SRT subtitles not displaying when selected

roku

#1

Hello, I'm having a new issue with certain files that have embedded SRT subs.

Subtitle options show up properly in the Plex UI, and appear properly selected, but do not display on the screen while playing the file.

The subtitles display fine in the Plex web app, as well as other 3rd party PC software.

If I obtain an external subtitle file (also SRT) and select it, THOSE subtitles will display properly on the Roku plex app.

I am using direct streaming (no video transcode) from a server on my LAN, and have the Roku global caption settings set to "always on".

Any tips/tricks for solving this, short of always using external subs?

Related info -
Media XML file for one of the affected files is attached
Using Plex app v. 5.0.7
Roku 2 (model 4210X), software v. 8.0.0
Plex media server v. 3.27.1 on Windows 10


#2

@LackThereof said:
Hello, I’m having a new issue with certain files that have embedded SRT subs.

Subtitle options show up properly in the Plex UI, and appear properly selected, but do not display on the screen while playing the file.

The subtitles display fine in the Plex web app, as well as other 3rd party PC software.

If I obtain an external subtitle file (also SRT) and select it, THOSE subtitles will display properly on the Roku plex app.

I am using direct streaming (no video transcode) from a server on my LAN, and have the Roku global caption settings set to “always on”.

Any tips/tricks for solving this, short of always using external subs?

Related info -
Media XML file for one of the affected files is attached
Using Plex app v. 5.0.7
Roku 2 (model 4210X), software v. 8.0.0
Plex media server v. 3.27.1 on Windows 10

Turn in on in the Plex App?

setting - video - roku caption mode - on ?


#3

@Dystaxia said:

@LackThereof said:
Hello, I’m having a new issue with certain files that have embedded SRT subs.

Subtitle options show up properly in the Plex UI, and appear properly selected, but do not display on the screen while playing the file.

The subtitles display fine in the Plex web app, as well as other 3rd party PC software.

If I obtain an external subtitle file (also SRT) and select it, THOSE subtitles will display properly on the Roku plex app.

I am using direct streaming (no video transcode) from a server on my LAN, and have the Roku global caption settings set to “always on”.

Any tips/tricks for solving this, short of always using external subs?

Related info -
Media XML file for one of the affected files is attached
Using Plex app v. 5.0.7
Roku 2 (model 4210X), software v. 8.0.0
Plex media server v. 3.27.1 on Windows 10

Turn in on in the Plex App?

setting - video - roku caption mode - on ?

Yes.


#4

To clarify, roku caption mode is and always was on, both in Plex setting - video - roku caption mode, and in the base Roku settings menu. Issue persists.


#5

Just got a Roku Premiere+ same issue as OP. MKV files direct play adn SRT files. No subtitles are displayed. I tried both Embedded SRT and external SRT (i.e. Local .srt files) Plex sees them and despite it being selected, Roku does not show the subtitles. Plex web player works fine with the same .srt files.

Searching the forums, this issue has gone back several years, why is it so hard to get SRT to work?


#6

i have had the same issue for subtitles, BUT this is what i have done to fix it…

MKVMERGE > set language to ENGLISH ( or what aver language you want ) > default flag ( YES ) > forced track flag ( YES )
then I merge the srt with the MKV… done
go out of plex then back in… subtitles appear… BUT… here is the BUT… if I watch a movie with subtitles and go to the next movie with subtitles, the subtitles dont appear… i have to go all the way out of the plex; back to roku home screen and back into plex, then the subtitles appear… its a bug i have found in the roku/plex for almost a year, but i have dealt with it


#7

@Chris_Robbins said:
i have had the same issue for subtitles, BUT this is what i have done to fix it…

MKVMERGE > set language to ENGLISH ( or what aver language you want ) > default flag ( YES ) > forced track flag ( YES )
then I merge the srt with the MKV… done
go out of plex then back in… subtitles appear… BUT… here is the BUT… if I watch a movie with subtitles and go to the next movie with subtitles, the subtitles dont appear… i have to go all the way out of the plex; back to roku home screen and back into plex, then the subtitles appear… its a bug i have found in the roku/plex for almost a year, but i have dealt with it

This doesn’t sound like the same problem I am trying to solve at all. In fact, it sounds like the exact OPPOSITE problem.

External subtitle files display correctly 100% of the time. My issue only ever happens with EMBEDDED subtitles, on certain files, when the subtitles are in Subrip format.

@hackbot said:
Just got a Roku Premiere+ same issue as OP. MKV files direct play adn SRT files. No subtitles are displayed. I tried both Embedded SRT and external SRT (i.e. Local .srt files) Plex sees them and despite it being selected, Roku does not show the subtitles. Plex web player works fine with the same .srt files.

Searching the forums, this issue has gone back several years, why is it so hard to get SRT to work?

This also may be an unrelated issue to mine. Most subtitles, including all external .srt subtitles I have tried, are working perfectly. Perhaps attach an external .srt file you can’t get to work, and I can see if it works on my setup?