External Drive Files all found in libraries but not music?

server-mac

#1

Latest Plex server, El Capitan 10.11.6. My Movies, TV and Home Video Libraries all display correct content. The Music library reads "There are no items in this library". The last time I used Plex to any extent (2016) all music was listed as well. So...I did an Edit in the Music library, reselected the correct folder location from the external drive containing ALL media - including music. It appeared to be scanning a few files but in 15-20 seconds it completed and returned the same message. I then went back to Edit, removed the normal location and browsed to another music folder that resides on the Mac/Desktop. The scan process started again but ended up shortly with the same "no items" message. So I'm totally confused as to why the files disappeared and seemingly can't be added when they were correctly listed for years!


#2

Any thoughts on this? Did the usual rescan, empty trash, clean bundles but still zero in the library. All others are fully intact still.


#3

your original post confuses me a little bit.
do you have 1 main folder which contains ALL media files or do you have individual folders for each media type?
e.g.
* /Volumes/External Disk/My Media/ containing music, tv-shows, movies mixed together

or
* /Volumes/External Disk/Movies/ containing your movies
* /Volumes/External Disk/TV Shows/ containing your tv shows
* /Volumes/External Disk/Music/ containing your albums

???

If everything shows but music... what audio formats do you have in this folder?
sounds a little fishy... as you already tried a lot of things you might check out the Plex Media Scanner logs (Settings > Server > Help > Download Logs, search for Plex Media Scanner.log shortly after you attempted refreshing your library).


#4

Never changed a thing, it simply scanned my Mac Mini for albums in Itunes And got all the metadata.
Then scanned my photos, which never got them all.
It loaded somethings to my photo album which aren’t mine.
Bunch of flags and cartoon characters.
Didn’t load my whole photo library, so may have to do some organizing there.


#5

@Wiredforsound: you should look into how to setup your Plex server to manage your libraries. There's nothing that'll just show up without your doing...
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200288926-Creating-Libraries


#6

@tom80H said:
your original post confuses me a little bit.
do you have 1 main folder which contains ALL media files or do you have individual folders for each media type?
e.g.
* /Volumes/External Disk/My Media/ containing music, tv-shows, movies mixed together

or
* /Volumes/External Disk/Movies/ containing your movies
* /Volumes/External Disk/TV Shows/ containing your tv shows
* /Volumes/External Disk/Music/ containing your albums

???

If everything shows but music... what audio formats do you have in this folder?
sounds a little fishy... as you already tried a lot of things you might check out the Plex Media Scanner logs (Settings > Server > Help > Download Logs, search for Plex Media Scanner.log shortly after you attempted refreshing your library).

Sorry for the confusion. And thanks for helping!

My setup (for years!) is individual folders for each media type just like your example. Been flawless for years.

Audio format is .mp3.

EDIT: I have the scanner log downloaded. In 1 of the logs I can see it finding all of my music but I have no idea what that means or what to do next?


#7

@Wiredforsound said:
Never changed a thing, it simply scanned my Mac Mini for albums in Itunes And got all the metadata.
Then scanned my photos, which never got them all.
It loaded somethings to my photo album which aren’t mine.
Bunch of flags and cartoon characters.
Didn’t load my whole photo library, so may have to do some organizing there.

This a reply to another post? Seems out of place here.


#8

Sorry it arrived on an email.
So clicked the link answering my initial conversation.
Didn’t expect it to post here.


#9

@Hotkey said:
Latest Plex server, El Capitan 10.11.6. My Movies, TV and Home Video Libraries all display correct content. The Music library reads “There are no items in this library”. The last time I used Plex to any extent (2016) all music was listed as well. So…I did an Edit in the Music library, reselected the correct folder location from the external drive containing ALL media - including music. It appeared to be scanning a few files but in 15-20 seconds it completed and returned the same message. I then went back to Edit, removed the normal location and browsed to another music folder that resides on the Mac/Desktop. The scan process started again but ended up shortly with the same “no items” message. So I’m totally confused as to why the files disappeared and seemingly can’t be added when they were correctly listed for years!

I’m still searching for a solution as to why my Music library doesn’t show up anymore!? Help please.


#10

Bump. I’m surprised no solutions have been put forth! How does the MUSIC library detail disappear from Plex Media Server? All other Library content is still intact.