External HDD not working with Linux Distros (Tried with Ubuntu and CentOS so far)

server-linux

I went through this guide to install Plex on a CentOS, it worked perfectly fine. I have a Plex Server up and running.

However, I am having issues with my external drive folders not shown while choosing the folders to add in a library.

I saw plenty (many many many) of articles describing the issue and providing the solutions, however, none of them worked in my case. I was having the same issue on Ubuntu as well where I have tried with fresh installation 3 times.

It looks like the Linux distros are having the same issues. Can anyone here help me with troubleshooting the issue? I am pretty sure I have made all the proper changes but I know I am missing something because of which, I can't add my media using my external drive.

Help :'(

Look at the top of this forum and find my Linux Tips.

Mounting your drives, whether internal or external, NTFS or Ext, is there in the how-to

@ChuckPA said:
Look at the top of this forum and find my Linux Tips.

Mounting your drives, whether internal or external, NTFS or Ext, is there in the how-to

Already went through it. As I mentioned, I have gone through many articles, I am looking for rather a troubleshooting help than a 'how-to' article llinks.

Ok, let's go through the basics about your HDs.

1. EXT4 or NTFS, Internal or External
  2. Where is Linux putting them now? (the File Manager normally automounts them... and is the root of the problem).

Where is Linux putting them now? (the File Manager normally automounts them... and is the root of the problem).

Thank You :)

The answer is in your second question. My biggest mistake in all the linux distros was, I was mounting my HDD in my home directory (which is encrypted as well). I changed it to /root/media and it showed up.

Any time. That's why my how-to puts them in a neutral location. /root is root's home directory and not generally a good idea but anywhere away from /media or /run is good.

The problem was, none of the how-to's mentioned about not putting it in root directory. May be common for everyday Linuxers I guess, rookie mistake ;)