Fire Stick 1st gen no longer supported?

android-tv
fire-tv

I've been using Plex Media Server for years, but I only recently started using the client app on my 1st gen Fire TV Stick. As far as I can tell, the client update released around the beginning of September (6.4.2.1697?) basically broke local video playback. Everyone that I see posting on the forums had to manually revert back to 6.4.1.1644.

It's been almost a month and a half, and I haven't actually heard any official word from the developer. Does that mean the device is no longer supported? Is it normal for Plex employees to break something and refuse to talk about it? Does anyone expect them to fix it, or at least talk about it publicly?

I'm honestly at a loss here. I don't know if I should live with it, look for a new media extender device (all of them seem flawed, even the $200 Shield TV), or find a new media server and client. Emby? Kodi? Back to the old way where I plug an old laptop into my TV? At least the last method will just work, and I know Microsoft won't release any updates that will make Windows suddenly stop working.

What are others doing?

@davedave01 said:
I’ve been using Plex Media Server for years, but I only recently started using the client app on my 1st gen Fire TV Stick. As far as I can tell, the client update released around the beginning of September (6.4.2.1697?) basically broke local video playback. Everyone that I see posting on the forums had to manually revert back to 6.4.1.1644.

It’s been almost a month and a half, and I haven’t actually heard any official word from the developer.

There is no 'Developer for Fire Devices. Fire Devices get whatever crap is being developed for Android TV or Shield (panty liners).

Does that mean the device is no longer supported?

Plex hasn’t ‘supported’ Fire Devices for years.

Is it normal for Plex employees to break something and refuse to talk about it? Does anyone expect them to fix it, or at least talk about it publicly?

That is absolutely normal Plex behavior around here. Expect nothing else.

I’m honestly at a loss here. I don’t know if I should live with it, look for a new media extender device (all of them seem flawed, even the $200 Shield TV), or find a new media server and client. Emby? Kodi? Back to the old way where I plug an old laptop into my TV? At least the last method will just work, and I know Microsoft won’t release any updates that will make Windows suddenly stop working.

If Plex fixes this app on Fire Devices it will be by accident. They are ONLY working on Android TV and Shield (panty liners). They have no developers they’re willing to dedicate to Fire Devices.

What are others doing?

I don’t know about others, but I’ve been without a working Plex App on my AFTV for so long I’ve gotten used to there not being one. I don’t expect there will EVER be one. That way when another non-working app shows up I’m not surprised.

A LONG time ago I installed an HDMI cable from my server to the TV. I run Plex Media Player through that cable and control PMP with the app on my phone.

Here’s The ‘Panty Liner Server’ Forum: https://forums.plex.tv/categories/nvidia-shield
Pretty much explaining all the finer details of why you shouldn’t try to use one of those.

You’re here in this forum where you already know the same **** app on Panty Liners and Android TVs is what you have to look forward to if you make that foolish move.

Emby works - but looks and performs like hell - there’s a reason so many of us are here bitching about Plex… there’s nowhere to run to.

Basically if you want to use Plex Media Server - which is the best thing going by far - you have to find a work-around for actually accessing it because it’s absolutely a fact - except for the Roku App - Plex is unable to develop an app that’s worth one single **** - and they’ve been trying for years. They are incapable. It’s not something they can do. That skill eludes them. They don’t know how to make it happen. Everything they try fails. If there’s one constant in the universe - that’s it. Plex sucks at app development.

The Roku app is the best thing going - they have a developer that gives a **** and knows what he’s doing.
Unfortunately Roku Inc is currently in meltdown mode so if Roku ever recovers there could be some light at the end of that tunnel, but that remains to be seen. They are currently rolling out Windows 8 for Roku. I seem to recall that wasn’t exactly a bright point in the Microsoft History Books, but Roku is willing and able to destroy what’s left of their once great empire with an operating system they are actually calling OS 8 for Roku (that should pretty much explain in detail what brand of idiot is in charge over there) - so… stay tuned.