Fire TV - no subtitles?

android-tv
fire-tv

Anyone had problems with completely missing subtitles on Fire TV (recently)? Was watching an iPlayer download with external SRT last night, flipped subtitles on, nothing showed. Was fine on Plex Web and Android tablet.Will check version later on this evening when it's actually warm enough to go into the living room (not joking, UK having 'a bit of a cold snap' right now)

Maybe it's designed to work better under sub-zero conditions... better layer up and go check it out.

Gather the family around the blazing coffee table and enjoy....

B)

Experiencing this as well - subtitles simply don't show on my FireTV. My living room is toasty warm, too, so I think we can rule that out!

Well, got the log burner going the night after and the subtitles were fine. Weird. Now to find out with the AFTV is the only Plex client that won't "forget" an old IP address for the server that I disabled weeks ago...

I have problems with the subtitles on the Fire TV as well, have a look here.

How is the subtitle named? Does it end with '.eng'?

@steved424 @greentrancer @JOJOFACE I got it working on my setup again. I was using Optimized versions for some of my episodes and those all failed to show subtitles. Removing the optimized versions and letting Plex transcode when I'm playing the files fixed it for me.

AFTV problem with subtitles also. I normally add them (VOBSUB) as a default when ripping via Handbrake into an MKV container. With ROKU PLEX player, no problem. They can be turned on / off and will stay on or off. However, with AFTV (not my favorite) the subtitles will often start, but then you'll notice that they'll disappear after a few minutes. Sometimes you can stop the show, and get them back, but often PLEX will crash at that point and recover, or I've even seen AFTV itself crash. I bought the flagship player and have it connected to my server via Ethernet.

As an aside, the navigation (mostly backing out to previous level / screen) either takes 10 seconds or longer, or it does not work at all with PLEX in AFTV. Wondering if this is standard behavior with this device and PLEX? I'm a spoiled ROKU user where there is nary a problem.

Only using AFTV because there are no good viable IPTV solutions for playing M3U streams on ROKU, even with PLEX.....

@erlebc said:
AFTV problem with subtitles also. I normally add them (VOBSUB) as a default when ripping via Handbrake into an MKV container. With ROKU PLEX player, no problem. They can be turned on / off and will stay on or off. However, with AFTV (not my favorite) the subtitles will often start, but then you'll notice that they'll disappear after a few minutes. Sometimes you can stop the show, and get them back, but often PLEX will crash at that point and recover, or I've even seen AFTV itself crash. I bought the flagship player and have it connected to my server via Ethernet.

As an aside, the navigation (mostly backing out to previous level / screen) either takes 10 seconds or longer, or it does not work at all with PLEX in AFTV. Wondering if this is standard behavior with this device and PLEX? I'm a spoiled ROKU user where there is nary a problem.

Only using AFTV because there are no good viable IPTV solutions for playing M3U streams on ROKU, even with PLEX.....

I'm having this too and so are other people:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1649628#Comment_1649628
and: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/317605/vobsubs-stop-showing-then-plex-app-on-shield-tv-will-crash-if-you-rewind-or-fast-forward#latest

Same issue here except it's on the Shield TV and all my other android devices. .srt subtitles have been broken for me since the update to Exoplayer V2. The only way to get them to display is to burn them in, which sucks because the new Exoplayer can play all my files without transcoding otherwise. :(

Mine are now mostly working on AFTV - occasionally I have to stop and
start the video to get them to appear..

.. HOWEVER, the sizes are nonsense - "Large" is small, everything
smaller is unreadable, but "Huge" is still .. huge. Are people with
36" TVs not part of the target market? Also the font quality is pretty
low. If a file randomly decides to transcode (which they do,
increasingly) - the subtitles look great - sensible size and clear
font. Which is odd, because when the random transcodes happen, I
thought it was only remuxing ...

The bugginess of this product is such that I really feel devs should
freeze all feature development and spend 6-12 months fixing bugs. THEN
start adding features users actually want (little things like should
audio track titles, not just language and codec) - not just
buzzword-de-jour. I genuinely laugh out loud now at the period emails
asking my to by a lifetime Plex Pass - why in the hell would I? I
guess it's a good thing for Plex that they have an effective
monopoly..

S.

The vobsub issues have been going on for a long time. Try installing 6.13.7 on your device. I've found that to be the most recent release that is both stable overall and has the fewest issues with vobsubs.

This isn't VOBSUB, it's SRT. Pretty sure you can't change the size of
VOBSUB subtitles!

@FlashMasta said:
The vobsub issues have been going on for a long time. Try installing 6.13.7 on your device. I've found that to be the most recent release that is both stable overall and has the fewest issues with vobsubs.

Do feel free to post your logs etc to the two post I made specifically about two vobsub bugs:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/300988/all-embedded-subtitles-for-extras-do-not-show-when-direct-playing#latest
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/317605/vobsubs-stop-showing-then-plex-app-on-shield-tv-will-crash-if-you-rewind-or-fast-forward#latest

Honestly, I'm pretty much over it at this point. I spent so much time trying to get it working prior to 6.13.x that I'm not shocked that it is broken again. I've posted recent troubleshooting on 2 separate threads with logs recently and haven't heard anything in quite a while. They seem to have their own priorities and I don't think subtitles are on that list.

@erlebc said:
AFTV problem with subtitles also. I normally add them (VOBSUB) as a default when ripping via Handbrake into an MKV container. With ROKU PLEX player, no problem. They can be turned on / off and will stay on or off.

The reason why it works with Roku is because it doesn't support vobsubs so it is being transcoded by your media server. The issues with the Fire TV is because it does support vobsubs and it up to the client to handle it, which is where the bug(s) are. For those of us that have a lot of content with vobsubs and a Fire TV we're in a pickle...if we choose to burn all subtitles it will work 100% of the time because the video will be transcoded by the media server and subtitles encoded onto the video (making the the Fire TV's vobsub support pointless and negatively impacting the video quality), or we deal with bugs...or do what I did and just say f**k it and stick with 6.13.7 until it gets fixed.

Honestly, you have the least issues with the Roku because it is probably the least capable device so the media server is doing most of the work. That's nice for an ease-of-use standpoint I suppose, but you have a better chance of it negatively impacting the video and/or audio quality unless you rip your content with the limitations in mind.

@FlashMasta said:
Honestly, I'm pretty much over it at this point. I spent so much time trying to get it working prior to 6.13.x that I'm not shocked that it is broken again. I've posted recent troubleshooting on 2 separate threads with logs recently and haven't heard anything in quite a while. They seem to have their own priorities and I don't think subtitles are on that list.

Yep, i consider subtitles a basic feature that should work perfectly. Seem that subtitles are not a priority, development wise. Having to set subtitles to burn in on the shield TV – which, along with exoplayer, should play them perfectly and Direct played – is annoying. @"MovieFan.Plex" has helped but I feel he is quite overwhelmed with the amount of issue he has to follow in the forum; a GitHub or similar bug tracker would make everyones life so much better.

@mtappert said:
Same issue here except it's on the Shield TV and all my other android devices. .srt subtitles have been broken for me since the update to Exoplayer V2. The only way to get them to display is to burn them in, which sucks because the new Exoplayer can play all my files without transcoding otherwise. :(

Same here. Srt subs won't display on my shield TV or Android phone, been broken for months. The only workaround I've found for shield is installing Kodi then using the Plex add-on.

Everyone here should post their complaint to @plex with the hashtag #plex on Twitter. It's ridiculous that no Android platform can play external .srt files without having to burn them in. I don't think Plex reads these forums but Tweets may work.