FireTV Gen 3 - Plex Issues Still Exist

android-tv
fire-tv

I'm guessing others are still seeing issues with FireTV and Plex? Either it's spontaneously saying that it's lost connection to the server, or the server is not fast enough, or it just simply refuses to show anything on the main screen except a swirling circle.

Any idea what is behind these issues, and if so, is there an ETA on resolving them?

I'd have to have to go back to Chromecast from FireTV due to this Plex problem.

I have even manually installed the APK for the last June 1 Plex client, but I'm seeing the same problems.

So is the prevailing thought that it's a server-side issue, or is it a client-side problem?

It's a client problem. The solution is to downgrade to 6.12 by sideloading it and then disable updates until they resolve all of the issues.

I was having this problem it has mostly stopped since I moved to synology. I have had it happen once since where before it was constant. One thing I do notice is audio drop outs here and there with ac3 codec, super annoying

@rwoffice said:
It's a client problem. The solution is to downgrade to 6.12 by sideloading it and then disable updates until they resolve all of the issues.

I guess he is having transcoding issues and server is not fast enough to do it on the fly or wrong settings on the server and client.

@DGCupit make sure you have set everything on Maximum in Plex client and try it again. Seems like your are forcing transcoding and your server is not powerful enough. But next time please post logs. Without them nobody can tell you what issues you are exactly having.

The server’s power is definitely not the issue: I can have multiple viewers and the CPU load is nowhere near saturated:

In this screenshot, I have 3 video streams going to remote viewers:

I find that when the FireTV spontaneously reports that its lost connection to the server (on a local 1GB LAN) or that the server isn’t fast enough I usually can’t get playback to resume until I fully reboot the FireTV.

My girlfriend has two FireTVs and has the same issues constantly using my server.

Again, it has nothing to do with the server, it's the client. Downgrade to 6.12 and save yourself from the frustration.

I only have "kepler-armv7a-googlePlay-stdExo-6.12.0.3239-5ffd4f.apk"

does anyone have the FireTV version called "kepler-armv7a-amazon-fireExo-..."?

@rwoffice said:
Again, it has nothing to do with the server, it's the client. Downgrade to 6.12 and save yourself from the frustration.

If you want to help folks - and Android Folks on AFTVs need some help, for sure - don't just suggest they downgrade, also include all the links/instructions for downgrading - because MOST regular Joes (Most Plex Users) don't have any idea how to do that (I don't, for instance, and I'm one of Plex's Power Users, so they say).

Make a few browser bookmarks to the appropriate threads/instructions/materials - then just copy and paste those helpful links so Plex Users In Crisis (Plex Android Victims) can help themselves...

The easier you make it for Victims to help themselves, the higher your standing on the Plex Heroes List. If you're going to be Plex's Volunteer Support Staff (Plex's only reliable support) - be a good one...

I didn't get all those 'Answers' by suggesting people do things - without telling them exactly how to do it... I have tons of Plex Related Emergency Work-Arounds and Solutions Bookmarks ready to go at all times - and as soon as you provide all the info... I'll set a few more Bookmarks, so I can help you, help them/us.

It's easy to suggest Wars kill a lot people, so we should stop them.
It's a lot harder to actually stop them - without specific instructions.

B)

At this point, I'm not even sure I'm doing it to help people, so much out of total frustration that there isn't a staff post with those instructions stickied at the top of the forum explaining to everyone how to fix their broken clients until they resolve all of these issues.

You're right though, if I'm going to bother, I probably should probably make the post more useful.

This isn't very detailed, but here goes:

You can download an App for your FireTV from the FireTV App Store called "Downloader". It's basically a web browser. You can enter a URL, which is clumsy, with the on-screen keyboard.

It's best to do the searching and whatnot on your desktop PC or phone, and once you've found what appears to be the valid APK you want to download, then open Downloader on FireTV and enter the URL that is at the top of the page on your PC's browser. Once the APK downloads, Downloader will automatically ask you if you wish to install the APK.

Be aware you must first remove the existing Plex app from your FireTV before you can load an older release of Plex. Also, disable auto-update on your FireTV or it will replace the older build with a newer one automatically.

The best fix would just be for the Plex guys to get a fixed release on the official FireTV Plex store.

@"nadbohr25@gmail.com" said:

I'd like to know a working URL for this, too. If I install the standard Android build, it works but then it does not appear on any of the Menu on FireTV. I have to go to Manage Applications to launch it each time.

@DGCupit said:

I'd like to know a working URL for this, too. If I install the standard Android build, it works but then it does not appear on any of the Menu on FireTV. I have to go to Manage Applications to launch it each time.

Give this one a try, it seems to work for AFTV people:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/plex-inc/plex/plex-6-12-0-3239-release/plex-6-12-0-3239-2-android-apk-download/

@rwoffice said:

@DGCupit said:

Give this one a try, it seems to work for AFTV people:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/plex-inc/plex/plex-6-12-0-3239-release/plex-6-12-0-3239-2-android-apk-download/

I can confirm that this works for a 2nd gen firestick. I don't have a FireTV though.

I would add to @DGCupit 's instructions and say that to uninstall the existing version you should use the uninstall option available from the firestick applications sub-menu rather than a third-party app. I've tried a third-party app adbLink to uninstall/reinstall but I don't think it cleanly removes the existing client and so new installs from adbLink and Downloader don't work. Only uninstalling the app from the firestick's menu would consistently allow me to install any plex client version

If you've already upgraded your server and client to the latest available and believe you should have the cpu power and network bandwidth to handle it then I would agree with @rwoffice that its worth trying to downgrade the client and see whether you see the same problems with that. I had tried many different client and server config tweaks to fix the issues that I was seeing even with the latest client and server (e.g. media playback would just stop every 10 minutes) and it wasn't until @rwoffice suggested downgrading and I finally got that version side-loaded that all of the problems were resolved. I nearly gave up on Plex altogether.

@rwoffice said:
At this point, I'm not even sure I'm doing it to help people, so much out of total frustration that there isn't a staff post with those instructions stickied at the top of the forum explaining to everyone how to fix their broken clients until they resolve all of these issues.

I don't think that the staff even watch the forums as these problems have been cropping up for some time now and when I PM'd one of the staff that has released the android client he didn't seem to know anything about these issues which seem to have been introduced with the 6.13 client and above. We're at client version 6.17 now :neutral:

@ElWig said:

I don't think that the staff even watch the forums as these problems have been cropping up for some time now and when I PM'd one of the staff that has released the android client he didn't seem to know anything about these issues which seem to have been introduced with the 6.13 client and above. We're at client version 6.17 now :neutral:

Hah, it's worse than you think... the Amazon version of the client is only up to 6.17, but the actual Android client is already at 7.0.3 and it still has all of the same issues, so you get to look forward to potentially several AFTV updates not fixing anything either ;)

@rwoffice said:
the Amazon version of the client is only up to 6.17...

FYI, Amazon app store is now at version 7.0.3. It updated on June 12, at least in US.

@FordGuy61 said:

@rwoffice said:

FYI, Amazon app store is now at version 7.0.3. It updated on June 12, at least in US.

Ah, okay, I don't have an Amazon device, I was just basing that on ElWig saying it was on 6.17 :)

@DGCupit said:

@"nadbohr25@gmail.com" said:

so they are different! I have never seen an apk of the 6.12 fireOS version, unfortunately. at the moment "v6.12 googleplay" is the least buggy version to gowith :neutral:

@FordGuy61 said:

@rwoffice said:

stay away from that if you are on 6.12.