FLAC

sonos

is Plex supporting the music FLAC encoding?

It does on the PlexAmp player!

my music is on a QNAP and encoding as FLAC -for the quality

I want to play the music via Sonos to my system? because Sonos take only 50000 titres therefore I take the choise of PLex
Must I change to another encoding system ? which encoding system for the best quality?

Transferred from QNAP forum.

Also, pls read today's announcement https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/311856/plex-for-sonos

Yes, the latest update to the Sonos app will direct play FLAC up to 16-bit. Above that it will be transcoded.

Hi John,
The playing of FLAC files directly now works well thanks. However I notice that higher bitrates/depths are transcoded, as expected of course, but transcoded to AAC. Is there any reason why they cannot be resampled and stay in FLAC rather than being transcoded to a lossy codec?

Also I notice that ALAC files get transcoded into AAC. Could they be transcoded into FLAC?

Cheers
Mark

@spiderlane said:
Hi John,
The playing of FLAC files directly now works well thanks. However I notice that higher bitrates/depths are transcoded, as expected of course, but transcoded to AAC. Is there any reason why they cannot be resampled and stay in FLAC rather than being transcoded to a lossy codec?

Also I notice that ALAC files get transcoded into AAC. Could they be transcoded into FLAC?

Cheers
Mark

I just noticed that too. The new update is amazing but is converting my ALAC to AAC even though Sonos claims to support ALAC. Can this be fixed?

@jjross Can you please DM me the media info XML from the ALAC track that's being converted? To find the XML use Plex Web to browse to the track, and from the track's menu (...) choose Get Info. At the bottom of the dialog that pops up should be a View XML link.