FM music, plex music trtaffic?

server-western-digital

I just noticed a huge query spike from network related to plex music. The music library says last updated 7 months back so nothing seems to be triggered from the front end.

Image attached from pihole showing the query spike.

Domain Hits Frequency
lastfm-z.plexapp.com 3184
music.plex.tv 2536
assets.fanart.tv 2358
reader.5eurousenet.com 2071
htbackdrops.plex.tv 1544
musicbrainz.plex.tv 1464
lastfm-img2.akamaized.net 764
meta.plex.tv 408
songkick.plex.tv 398

Seems very odd, it’s not even moving any data really. Just making the calls.
Lots and lots of network side logging showing, to the tune of 13872. three times the next closest client at around 4k (a rasbery pi that handles a lot of traffic)
2017-01-20T15:49:57 A plugins.plex.tv 192.168.1.90 OK Blacklist
2017-01-20T15:49:57 AAAA plugins.plex.tv 192.168.1.90 OK Blacklist
2017-01-20T15:49:24 A plex.tv 192.168.1.90 OK Blacklist
2017-01-20T15:49:24 AAAA plex.tv 192.168.1.90 OK Blacklist
2017-01-20T15:49:22 A plex.tv 192.168.1.90 OK Blacklist
2017-01-20T15:49:22 AAAA plex.tv 192.168.1.90 OK

Really just wondering if anyone else has seen anything similar? Any insight? It seems like a aberration.
Plex is running on WD PR2100 but I’m not sure that matters in this case.

This traffic, if truly PMS related, will show in your logs. One must remember when the butler (scheduled tasks) and Library updates run.

I don't see anything specific in the logs. but is a lot of calls. Today for example peak queries is around 250 across the entire network.

I noticed the same thing today on my Pihole and it’s definitely related to Plex

lastfm-z.plexapp.com 2469
htbackdrops.plex.tv 1175
musicbrainz.plex.tv 1064
meta.plex.tv 554

Any update on this topic?

I'm getting crazy spikes on my network from my plex server as shown below:

Since this was raised over a year ago , I've learned more.

1. Last.FM will continue to be queries as long as unmatched media remains in your library. A tool , such as Picard, can help resolve that.
  2. HTBackdrops is a dead site and all reference to the agent removed.
  3. meta.plex.tv is the primary metadata host.

So we now know what causes it, but the question becomes how do you stop it?

As I stated above:

Last.FM will continue to be queries as long as unmatched media remains in your library. A tool , such as Picard, can help resolve that.

Get a music naming & tagging tool.

Correct the naming, tags, and structure of your library (curate it)
Either "Plex Dance" the specific media (which normally happens when you use Picard and move results to a new location), recreate the music library, or force refresh.

That is not going to work.

Plex is not my main music library, iTunes is. Once a week I have a Chronosync task which copies across any changes to my Plex server so other family members can access it on their mobile devices.

Any edits made will just be overwritten each week.

Making over 10,000 DNS requests for unmatched songs is excessive. I don’t know how many unmatched songs there are because I don’t believe there is any way to actually check this info.

You say ‘HTBackdrops is a dead site and all reference to the agent removed‘, does that mean you will update Plex to remove this dead link?

If you are not going to use Plex for your music, Why do you have a music library trying to match everything?

so other family members can access it on their mobile devices.

Apple has a feature for music sharing with your family.

If you're going to use Plex, you need to match it. if it's unmatched as far as Plex is concerned, it will keep trying. Sorry but there is nothing we can do.

You can only share a library to an iOS device not on the same network if you subscribe to an Apple Music family membership.

Why does Plex make an excessive number of queries (over 10,000) for what I presume is a handful of unmatched songs (but I have no way to tell)?

Why is Plex accessing a dead site? Is this going to be fixed?

I am turning this thread over to someone who can help you better.

Apple Family Music is precisely what I'm referring to since iTunes is what's curating your music.