Frame-stutter when playing h.265 files

apple-tv

I wonder if anybody also has this problem:

Whenever I play HEVC files on ATV4 (tvos 11.3; latest Plex server and app) there is some kind of stutter in the movie, which happens regularly every 8-10 seconds. When that happens a frame of the movie is displayed twice, so basically the video stops for a fraction of a second. Very irritating!

This happens only with h.265 files via direct play, choose a conversion option and it is gone.
It happens in both 24hz and 60hz output mode (the source is a movie @23.976 fps).
It happens only in Plex, the same file in Infuse 5 plays perfectly.
It also happens in the Plex iOS App on my iPhone7.

Can anybody replicate this error?
You can spot it best when the end credits are rolling.

I’m seeing this as well with HEVC videos. The video hangs for just a few frames and then jumps forward to catch up. Audio continues playing fine. The same video file plays fine on computers and iOS devices, and plays fine on the Apple TV via the “Computers” app playing from my PC, so I know the Apple TV is able to play it correctly.

Setup: Apple TV 4k (v11.3), Plex app (v1.26), Plex server (v1.12.2.4929), Gig ethernet connection.

Plex server reports that it is “converting”, but both audio and video are “Direct Stream”.

Can confirm the same on appletv 4 not 4k

HEVC that played fine and encoded properly with handbrake nightly in m4v containers seem to sometimes struggle more than before the tvOS update on frame mataching.

Thoughts are that they sometimes get out of sync usually closing plex player and reopening works. Sometimes a restart of appletv clears it up

Can confirm I’m seeing this as well. Videos have been encoded with the nightly build of Handbrake and _used _to work fine, without this occasional ‘hitching’.

Plex server reports that it is “converting”, but both audio and video are “Direct Stream”.

Same.

Me too, stutter with 4K MKV HEVC direct stream

How many are with mkv vs m4v containers…?

I use the ‘apple’ Format of m4v, foreign subs burned in, an the 2 audio tracks of 2 chan aac and 5.1 ac3… so fully Apple TV compatible

@dragonmel said:
How many are with mkv vs m4v containers…?

I use the ‘apple’ Format of m4v, foreign subs burned in, an the 2 audio tracks of 2 chan aac and 5.1 ac3… so fully Apple TV compatible

I’m using the Apple pre-defined formats as well - I tend to use the 30fps ones.

I’m seeing this with both m4v and mp4 containers, specifically encoded to be Apple compatible.

Update: When using the new Infuse 5.7 as a Plex Client, there is no issue (also the AAC sound works correctly, which in Plex still does not), so it’s probably a client, not a server problem.

Update: Has anyone had chance to check if this is still happening with the new AppleTV client released a day or so ago? I currently don’t have any h265 content to test with.

I’ve had this particular issue from day one, originally thought it was an encoding issue. After testing with multiple clients and multiple devices, I can firmly say that I believe this is a Plex issue with h265 encoded content on the Apple TV.

I have no issues whatsoever and havn’t had any from day one, switched to H.265 when it was announced the ATV4 could play the format. I Encode using Handbrake and add subtiles with FFMPEG into MP4. No problem at all. With the new IOS update it even switches refresh rate for true 24FPS playback.

Sadly all other platforms cannot read this file if subtitles is enabled. Then everything needs to be transcoded. But for Apple devices there are no issue.

I finally got around to checking with the latest client (1.27), exact same video stutter issues. Not too surprising, nothing in the release notes indicated changes to video playback. Anyone know the appropriate channel to report this issue?

Update: I realized that content framerate matching was not enabled on my Apple TV, and after turning it on, I think the stutter might be gone, or at least reduced, I haven’t done much testing yet. I’d be curious to see if the people having this problem also have framerate match turned off perhaps.

@jeremymcloaf said:
Update: I realized that content framerate matching was not enabled on my Apple TV, and after turning it on, I think the stutter might be gone, or at least reduced, I haven’t done much testing yet. I’d be curious to see if the people having this problem also have framerate match turned off perhaps.

As I stated in the OP, it affects both modes.

Sorry, I missed that. Also, I jumped the gun, I’m still seeing it in 24p playback mode, it just seems to manifest itself a little more subtly. I’m starting to think it might boil down to a subtle different in framerates, I’m going to do some experiments encoding with constant and variable framerates and see if I find anything.

Just wanted to jump on board and say that I’m seeing the same thing too and I’m glad to find out I’m not alone.

Yup, happening to me too on every HEVC file - on both the ATV4 client and iOS Plex app (iPhone X). Files play fine in VLC. Driving me nuts!

I finally got around to doing some testing - I re-encoded a movie at a bunch of different settings in Handbrake, including pretty much every combination of ways to pick framerate, and couldn’t make it go away.

Daninino, could you share what version of Handbrake you’re using, and what settings you have on your encodings that don’t stutter?

Bumping this because it’s still very much a thing that needs fixing.