Galaxy S8 Gear VR Support

plex-vr

#1

Kudos to the Plex team for rolling this out. However a lot of us Galaxy S8 users actually got Gear VR headsets for FREE when purchasing our S8's. I also noticed that the S8 supports Daydream..but I will take a shot in the dark here and assume that if we had to choose between the two, that more S8 users own a Gear than a Daydream.

My point? Let's get this working on the Gear. The app runs fine up until you get to the Grant Permissions screen and then none of the Gear controllers work. Seems like it might be an easy fix? Just hoping you didn't put all your eggs in one basket with Daydream.


#2

Thanks for the feedback. We can't provide dates yet, but rest assured that we are actively looking into other popular VR platforms.


#3

@ManuelPG said:
Thanks for the feedback. We can't provide dates yet, but rest assured that we are actively looking into other popular VR platforms.

Would rolling out to the Oculus platform/store solve for Samsung Gear VRs?


#4

The two platforms are obviously related, but there are technical reasons why porting the existing Daydream app to Gear VR isn't trivial.


#5

defiantly waiting for the samsung gear vr the main reason for me is that I wear glasses and could not get the focus on the google headset but got it to great focus on samsung


#6

I am tottally in agreement with the OP. I have the S8+ and the Gear VR that came with it. I would much prefer the ablity to do playback on that then have to go buy another headset.


#7

i was excited to see plex VR out and finally get a VR headset. I was leaning on the samsung s8+ and now it seems i have to get a daydream headset too ?


#8

Install Daydream and Plex VR on your phone. Get the "Play Cardboard on Gear VR" app and a third party controller for the Daydream View and you'll be able to use Daydream on your Gear VR. It works great, I've been doing this for over a week now.


#9

I have note 8 and I'm waiting for plex VR update!


#10

@genosajd said:
I have note 8 and I'm waiting for plex VR update!

I'm using a Note 8 and it's working just fine.


#11

@jerseydevil62 said:
Install Daydream and Plex VR on your phone. Get the "Play Cardboard on Gear VR" app and a third party controller for the Daydream View and you'll be able to use Daydream on your Gear VR. It works great, I've been doing this for over a week now.

Any 3rd party controller brand to recommend ? Will the original daydream controller work with gear VR ? (I prefer the gear VR headset honestly)


#12

The original Daydream controller will work, and this is the 3rd party one I got from Amazon for $21.99: "VR Remote Controller, Virtoba Wireless Bluetooth 4.2 Daydream Controller Compatible with Universal VR Handle"


#13

@jerseydevil62 said:

@genosajd said:
I have note 8 and I'm waiting for plex VR update!

I'm using a Note 8 and it's working just fine.

Not with gear vr


#14

@genosajd said:

@jerseydevil62 said:

@genosajd said:
I have note 8 and I'm waiting for plex VR update!

I'm using a Note 8 and it's working just fine.

Not with gear vr
Yes with Gear VR running the Daydream App


#15

Why in all hell would they pick daydream over gear? There are far more Samsung users. Stone of these choices make zero sense.


#16

@jerseydevil62 said:

@genosajd said:

@jerseydevil62 said:

@genosajd said:
I have note 8 and I'm waiting for plex VR update!

I'm using a Note 8 and it's working just fine.

Not with gear vr
Yes with Gear VR running the Daydream App

how?


#17

You've got a few options:
1. Just buy a DayDream. Most Gear VR models also support Daydream so of course this should just work as well as being fully supported.
2. You can buy a cheaper third party remote and install Cardboard from the store as described in this comment.
3. There's also apparently a PhoneCast VR app which will allow you to run the standard Plex app in Gear VR.


#18

please do a app for the samsung vr gear


#19

Hi all! Looks like Plex VR for Gear came out today! Many thanks to the team! Any idea when we can download it as I can still only see the Daydream version in the Google Play store. It also isn't showing up in the Oculus app (Gear VR store). Where do we go about obtaining it?

https://www.plex.tv/blog/immerse-yourself-in-your-media-with-gear-vr-and-oculus/

Thanks!


#20

Dafreakzo, I installed from this link to Oculus Store
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/gear-vr/1779825005402730/