Getting Cinavia error on Samsung BD-D8200n

samsung-smart-hub

[quote name='Scouzer' timestamp='1335262482' post='258451']

DVDFab apparently deliver a solution to rip Blurays without cinavia protection.

http://www.dvdfab.com/cinavia.htm

[/quote]

Their solution only works for the PS3 though and it's a hack at that, doesn't really remove the protection.

[quote name='freerunner' timestamp='1335248948' post='258419']

Yep, same error for me when I watched "a new movie" with DTS and Ciniavia protection.

All current bluray players are required to support the Cinavia protection, and that affects playback of all kinds of media that can contain it, not just bluray. I don't think there's anything Plex can do about this without reencoding the sound to DD/AC3.

This is why I think I have to drop the samsung player and move over to a simple media player without bluray or go back to HTCP/Plex.

[/quote]

That won't work either. I convert my Blu-Ray's audio to stereo AAC and it still persists. According to the Cinavia article on Wikipedia, an external mic recording the audio from a movie theater showing would still capture the watermark.

[quote name='Blaquespell' timestamp='1335271343' post='258473']

Their solution only works for the PS3 though and it's a hack at that, doesn't really remove the protection.

[/quote]

So the more films that get the protection the more useless is Plex?

[quote name='Scouzer' timestamp='1335335363' post='258748']

So the more films that get the protection the more useless is Plex?

[/quote]

It's not Plex that is the limit, it's the bluray player. It doesn't matter if you try the movie through Plex, DLNA, or even through USB, the limitation/DRM checker is built into the software player of the bluray player. I think I've read somewhere that you can remove DRM protection if you root the bluray player, but that's way beyond Plex.

Samsung Smart TV's doesn't have this protection.

[quote name='freerunner' timestamp='1335338269' post='258753']

It's not Plex that is the limit, it's the bluray player. It doesn't matter if you try the movie through Plex, DLNA, or even through USB, the limitation/DRM checker is built into the software player of the bluray player. I think I've read somewhere that you can remove DRM protection if you root the bluray player, but that's way beyond Plex.

Samsung Smart TV's doesn't have this protection.

[/quote]

I known it's not Plex that is the limit, but I still can't use Plex because of the protection, and I can't afford to buy a Smart tv

[quote name='Scouzer' timestamp='1335338802' post='258754']

I known it's not Plex that is the limit, but I still can't use Plex because of the protection, and I can't afford to buy a Smart tv

[/quote]

I read that a workaround for those who rip bluray movies is to rip the dts/ac3 audio from the dvd version of the same movie and then mux it into the hd-rip. Apparently the DRM protection would not be put on the DVD version.

This might be useable if the movie is shipped with two versions in the box, it'll take some more time if you have to buy two versions of the movie, and it also requires some skills in muxing and syncing.

Samsung should have made a media player only, without the bluray player, like LG's ST600, it would also be a nice addon for people not owning a new Samsung Smart TV.

Here's a good overview of Cinavia with a list of movies that are currently known to have it. Getting the DVD audio track can bypass it in some cases, but there are movies that have the protection on both the Blu-Ray and DVD version of the film, like "The Roommate".

DVD Fab Cinavia Blog

Only devices that have a bluray player built into them have Cinavia protection (as this is a requirement for the hardware licensing from the BluRay association). My Samsung BD players and my PS3s kick cinavia on a lot with the newer BD rips but the Samsung TVs and AppleTVs do NOT have the software to enable Cinavia so all is good. I am noticing that a LOT of newer BDs have this protection so it seems going forward streaming will need to be done to non-BD licensed streamers. Also, be wary of firmware updates on these devices until you have confirmed that they do not enable Cinavia protection.

So this crap can be introduced to sammys tvs through sw updates?

[quote name='RockStar' timestamp='1335718869' post='259749']

So this crap can be introduced to sammys tvs through sw updates?

[/quote]

No, from what I've read only BD-Players.

[quote name='hd1080' timestamp='1335721130' post='259758']

No, from what I've read only BD-Players.

[/quote]

Correct... but with the onslaught of non-BD disc streaming devices one can only be led to believe they will eventually infest these too...

I just bought the (NON-BD) DVD version of "Wrath Of Titans" from my local Walmart. CINAVIA was on it and reared its ugly head using the latest version of DVDFAB which I also own. In fact a Cinavia message popped up at the very beginning of the conversion to MP4. The MP4 file plays absolutely fine with VLC on my computer. I own a Samsung BD-D5500 Blu-Ray Player with a SONY TV. I have only run accross 2 movies, so far, that don't play sound with Plex. "Wrath Of Titans" and "Project X" both converted from the original DVD not the BD. For these movies I watch only on my computer. I hope this issue doesn't get to out of hand. Do you think buying a Samsung Smart TV will or should resolve this issue?

[quote name='Timewarpone' timestamp='1345763706' post='288773']

I just bought the (NON-BD) DVD version of "Wrath Of Titans" from my local Walmart. CINAVIA was on it and reared its ugly head using the latest version of DVDFAB which I also own. In fact a Cinavia message popped up at the very beginning of the conversion to MP4. The MP4 file plays absolutely fine with VLC on my computer. I own a Samsung BD-D5500 Blu-Ray Player with a SONY TV. I have only run accross 2 movies, so far, that don't play sound with Plex. "Wrath Of Titans" and "Project X" both converted from the original DVD not the BD. For these movies I watch only on my computer. I hope this issue doesn't get to out of hand. Do you think buying a Samsung Smart TV will or should resolve this issue?

[/quote]

If I were you I would take a look at this page :)

http://forum.samygo.tv/index.php?sid=5efff557ec029cdddf15332ac92eeb60

According to the DVDFAB web site they say they are able to disable Cinavia on Blu-Ray discs using Blu-Ray ripper or Blu-Ray Copy. I will assume, for now, it's their latest version of DVDFAB Platinum 8.2.0.6 I am anxious to try it.

[quote name='Timewarpone' timestamp='1346076077' post='289467']

According to the DVDFAB web site they say they are able to disable Cinavia on Blu-Ray discs using Blu-Ray ripper or Blu-Ray Copy. I will assume, for now, it's their latest version of DVDFAB Platinum 8.2.0.6 I am anxious to try it.

[/quote]

It's only working on PS3 with their workaround. This is from the current version of DVDFAB: "You may ask why it's a solution on PS3 but not other Blu-ray players, and why we create BDMV-REC. Since PS3 is the most popular one among the Cinavia enabled BD players, a solution focused on it should come first. And BDMV-REC is very much the same as the original BDMV-ROM (the original disc), with menus, interactivity, BD-Live, etc. DVDFab is working on other Cinavia solutions as well. No time later, a solution which supports protected BDAV and is more compatible with most BD players will come out for use."

This solution doesn't remove Cinavia, it only fools the PS3 into thinking it's a legitimate disc and so therefore plays the audio.

there are ways of patching Samsung firmwares now, to get rid of this protection.

there are ways of patching Samsung firmwares now, to get rid of this protection.

And what are these ways if I may ask?

This is not the place to discuss I'm afraid, but there are Google-able sites that are very useful  :rolleyes:.

Check out the samygo forums

I have lived with Cinavia for the last 3 years with Tversity streaming to a PS3. The only fix was to use a program called MKV2VOB and deselect the Transcode DTS to AC3. This definitely works, accept you end up with a VOB with a DTS audio stream, which if you haven't got the right audio/receiver setup just gives you hash when playing back. Plex doesn't seem to like DTS embedded with in a VOB, let me know how you go, I have a feature request at the windows server forum asking to deal with the DTS Vobs.  

Oh, the DVDFab fix is only for disks...not much use for files.