Giving up on plex sync

windows-store-app

I have had plex media server on several different servers and plex media player on several different devices for many years. When I sync media, it always ends up disappearing from the local media view. It is in the sync status menu, It shows the downloaded arrow on the media when viewing the media on the remote server and The files are there in the random numbered folders it creates. Yet, sooner or later, plex ends up with nothing in the local media view. It seems to lose the file location. This has happened for so many years, all updates, all platforms. I think it has something to do with the file naming system plex uses, the random numbered directories and every song being named key.mp3

I have considered this feature useless and today I no longer use it. It is nothing I am doing. I should be able to click on my music library on a device and sync it, but after some time, for some reason, plex decides it can't find the local files.

Booo plex, stop building useless features like cloud support and VR experience and make the original product that I paid for actually work.

This rant is out of frustration and not being able to sync my friggin music library on to my phone.

I agree with you 100%
Plex’s Sync feature hasn’t worked well for me, my family or friends 95% of the time for ages! syncing content just stops midway through conversion or during transferring.
I have tried syncing original quality, reducing the quality, etc. It makes no difference if the are trying to Sync via lan or wifi. To the Windows Store app, Android or to a Surface RT device.
I have moved BACK to Resilio Sync - faster, 100% reliable and can content be played by Plex, VLC, Emby, etc. Great stuff. The only drawback is that ut doesn’t transcode and requires a pro license ($40) to manually sync selected content.
On the +++ side, transfers can start and stop, chuncks are sent in 4mb chunks, and if several friends have the same file, all clients work together to quickly transfer the files - taking some pressure off my PMS.

I can’t agree more. I stopped using sync for 2 years now, tired of continuously broken freature

This one feature was the main one I was interested in, when I became a life time member. The ability to send to another device, have it automatically transfer them to the device and finally track which ones I had watched on my travels (This last feature didn’t ever work for me).

Now I just copy the files down to my Surface manually and watch using PotPlayer. At least the filenames are still recognisable.

However it is a disappointment what has happened to this particular product.

To be fair the server side has made up for the client disappointments.

I haven’t had any issues with Sync recently it works exactly as I imagine it.
I am not sure what you mean by “stuff” disappearing but if you sync only “watched” items then obviously once you “watch” them they get removed from the device? That will also happen if you are sharing your username between different people…
On the windows UWP app you have to make sure that you really watch it to the end otherwise it won’t mark it as watched

@chaosmaker said:
I haven’t had any issues with Sync recently it works exactly as I imagine it.
I am not sure what you mean by “stuff” disappearing but if you sync only “watched” items then obviously once you “watch” them they get removed from the device? That will also happen if you are sharing your username between different people…
On the windows UWP app you have to make sure that you really watch it to the end otherwise it won’t mark it as watched

Really? The Watched feature? Of course we know what the watched feature is and no, that isn’t the problem. The problem is the feature does not work correctly. It constantly loses track of synced content. If you sync a movie or two you don’t have a problem. sync a music library or a series of a tv show and it fails to stay synced correctly.

I put a tv series on my new laptop thinking that I would watch it when I didn’t have wifi. It wants me to be connected to the internet just to watch the content, because, you know, it can’t keep track of synced content the way it is currently designed. I found the actual files on the hardrive, again, labeled as numbers because the sync feature is designed poorly. It just doesn’t work.

I wish they would fix this feature instead of making useless features like VR rooms, news and the stupid camera uploads.

I wish I didn’t pay for the lifetime membership, it is just that much more disappointing.

FIX THE SYNC FEATURE, PLEX!