h.265 play back is choppy

windows-store-app

When I try and play a video that is h.265 there seems to be a .05 second pause every half a second or so. My computer is connected with ethernet and the cpu is more powerful than the one that is in my server that transcodes it fine. So not sure what the problem is.

H.265 support depends on the client you are using and not the server. For example, if your TV has h.265 support, then in most cases you will be able to Direct Play H.265. Read this: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/217750/h-265-support
If your video is playing choppy, I guess that the hardware doesn't support HEVC, and it does make your PC work harder during the transcodeyour or the video frame rate or bitrate is too high. You can re-encode them yourself to more suitable parameters for your devices or convert H.265 video to H.264 codec for smooth streaming.

I know it depends on what I'm playing it on if I'm direct streaming. I have an I5-4670k which should be able to handle playing HEVC.

@xxredxpandaxx said:
I have an I5-4670k which should be able to handle playing HEVC.

Is that the CPU for the server or the client?

@hthighway said:

@xxredxpandaxx said:
I have an I5-4670k which should be able to handle playing HEVC.

Is that the CPU for the server or the client?

the client.

H.265 is usually 4K video which is very CPU intensive.

@emma24xia said:
H.265 is usually 4K video which is very CPU intensive.

Although I have a 10 core iMac Pro and have seen similar results with h265 encoded videos played via the Apple TV. Not as frequent as every second, but consistent enough to become annoying (and specifically when playing the video via Plex).