Happy Anniversary Plex Roku Channel 4.4.3

roku

#1

Happy Anniversary Plex Roku Channel 4.4.3 Wow, hard to believe it's been four months since the Plex development team last showed you any love. Must be great having no bugs, no issues.

Here's looking forward to October 5. Just 10 days from now we celebrate the six month anniversary of 4.4.1... the last time the Roku Channel got any new functionality. Man, we've sure had some fun since then, Live TV, DVR scheduling. No, wait, that was with some other girl... darn.


#2

Be careful what you wish for - you may get it.


#3

@JuiceWSA said:
Be careful what you wish for - you may get it.

Tony, you may be right. If they implement that horrid interface they put in the latest computer versions of the Plex Media Player, I won’t be happy and I’m pretty sure mama won’t be happy. And if mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.


#4

The Xbox app will soon celebrate its first birthday without an update…I didnt realise the Roku app was as bad as the windows store app for updates…


#5

@WilhelmStroker said:
The Xbox app will soon celebrate its first birthday without an update…I didnt realise the Roku app was as bad as the windows store app for updates…

Plex hired the developer of RARflix, a wonderful app for its time, and he, mostly developed the current Roku Plex channel.He was also quite responsive to users and even implemented a few features that the other clients only dreamed about. (Or did not dream about because their developers lacked the ability and/or imagination)

Several months ago he virtually disappeared from these boards and any interaction with the users. That also is when the app ceased to be updated or mostly even fixed.
I figure one or more of the following happened:
He was ordered to SHUT UP by the Plex powers.
He is working too hard on the new Roku app to interact about the old one.
He has had something happen in his life that takes all his time.
He was fired by Plex and is under a gag order.
He quit Plex and is under a gag order.
He has just lost interest.
He is being forced/allowed to help the other developers of other clients.
He is just tired of the Plex users.
Something I have not thought of or did not seem plausible enough.

I do not really know what has happened but whatever has happened his disappearance is just one more reason Emby is now my media system of choice.


#6

It was recently confirmed that ljunkie is still with Plex, and is working on the Roku client along with a “few other” devs. It’s pretty clear that they’ve been working on a major re-write to correspond with the intro of live-TV. The “news” feature on the recently released official channel has a UI that is a pretty large departure from the rest of the current Roku client. My assessment is that the v5 release was simply to ready Roku for the “news” feature roll-out…and that when the full-up re-write is released, the rest of the channel will closely resemble the “news” feed.


#7

Just posted an update on Roku here: http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/289707/roku-gets-love-rewrite-a-licious-update


#8

@DFury said:
It was recently confirmed that ljunkie is still with Plex, and is working on the Roku client along with a “few other” devs. It’s pretty clear that they’ve been working on a major re-write to correspond with the intro of live-TV. The “news” feature on the recently released official channel has a UI that is a pretty large departure from the rest of the current Roku client.

Yep, you got it. Major rewrite. More info in that update and also in Roku’s blog post, which I linked to in the update.


#9

@kinoCharlino said:
Just posted an update on Roku here: http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/289707/roku-gets-love-rewrite-a-licious-update

That is a great update, will there be a similar update for the windows and Xbox apps that also haven’t seen many updates recently?


#10

@kinoCharlino said:
Just posted an update on Roku here: http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/289707/roku-gets-love-rewrite-a-licious-update

Thank you for the clear explanation of the reasons for the delays.

Please, please, please the next time you do a Roku update, don’t neglect to update the Roku Preview Channel. As a PlexPass Plex customer, that has been my primary Plex channel for months. I had to switch all my players to the standard channel in order to get the update. Ditto, switching and updating Alexa and Harmony to start the right version. If you guys simply did what you have indicated you were going to do in the past, your best users wouldn’t have to jump though these hoops.


#11

@kinoCharlino said:
Just posted an update on Roku here: http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/289707/roku-gets-love-rewrite-a-licious-update

For what it’s worth. News in Plex, particularly for the limited sources you have, is of little value to me. Live TV and DVR scheduling in the Roku client have far more value. With this release, you seem to have placed more priority on your owners’ priorities than your customers’. That’s a shame.


#12

@WilhelmStroker said:
That is a great update, will there be a similar update for the windows and Xbox apps that also haven’t seen many updates recently?

Both are on my to-do list, hoping to get something soon. Those are a tiny bit trickier.

@bobketcham said:
For what it’s worth. News in Plex, particularly for the limited sources you have, is of little value to me. Live TV and DVR scheduling in the Roku client have far more value. With this release, you seem to have placed more priority on your owners’ priorities than your customers’. That’s a shame.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve passed it along to the Roku devs.


#13

@bobketcham said:
For what it’s worth. News in Plex, particularly for the limited sources you have, is of little value to me. Live TV and DVR scheduling in the Roku client have far more value. With this release, you seem to have placed more priority on your owners’ priorities than your customers’. That’s a shame.

I wouldn’t say that’s true. Its the case of having one feature completed before the other, and not wanting to delay the feature first completed.


#14

@kinoCharlino said:
Yep, you got it. Major rewrite. More info in that update and also in Roku’s blog post, which I linked to in the update.

Saw the release announcement for LiveTV in the Roku. Fired up the Roku and found my Preview Channel has already updated to release 5.0.4. Very nicely done. A simple interface. Nice mini channel browser available while watching allows something like channel surfing. That’s often missing from multi-channel interfaces (Playstation Vue for example). And the recently released hardware transcoding is keeping my CPU use at a nice low level. Cool!

I look forward to being able to schedule DVR recordings as well. Plex is really looking like a complete media solution.


#15

@bobketcham said:
I look forward to being able to schedule DVR recordings as well. Plex is really looking like a complete media solution.

Coming next to Roku!