Having trouble accessing your Plex skill right now

alexa
voice-control

Skill is setup and linked, if I ask it to "list servers" it returns a list of servers, if I ask it to "list players" I get a list of connected players. However, no media playback/controls work. "Ask Plex to play XXX" or "Ask Plex what's on deck" all hang for 10 seconds or so, then respond "Sorry, I'm having trouble accessing your Plex skill right now."

A friend has shared his server with me, if I change to his server, music playback works great. If he switches to mine, same problem.

My Plex server is a Windows7 PC on my home network. Port forwarding is setup on the router for remote access, I have no issues connecting with other players inside/outside my home LAN.

Any ideas? Symptoms kinda make me think it's a router issue or something, but not sure what to check.

Loads of us have the same problem. Still waiting for a response from PLEX which is pretty damn poor.

Having the pretty much the same problem.

I have and Echo 2nd Generation

Server is ARM 6.x RN2xx on Netgear RN212 NAS drive which is where my media library is stored. Plex Server points to this ok. Port 32400 is open and NAS drive has static IP, I can ping this externally so I know it is open ok. Router is Netgear Nighthawk R7000.
Remote access is enabled in web app pointing to port 32400 (Private and Public) and Remote Access is enabled on the router. Alexa Skill is enabled and authorised to my Plex account.

I only have music library set up at the moment, but I can play my music from the NAS Library using Plex App on Fire Stick, Android phone (Huawei P9) and Windows 10 laptop. This works locally and remotely.

Alexa confirms that my NAS drive is my server, but I can only ever get her to identify my player as either Plex-Web Internet Explorer or Fire TV Stick - I can use Alexa to switch between them as my primary player. But when I ask Alexa to ask Plex to play any music I get the response - “trouble accessing your Plex skill”

I can see in my devices - Fire TV Stick, Amazon Alexa, Plex-Web (Internet Explorer), Android phone and Window loptop in the list of devices.

Any help would be greatly received, being able to play all my music collection through Alexa would be fantastic. If I could get this to work then I’d be seriously interested in setting up my film library, photo library and going premium but unless I can get the music to work I am more than reluctant.

1 question that keeps bugging me, I don’t see Plex displaying an Echo 2nd generation in its supported device list (it only shows 1st generation and doesn’t say 1st or 2nd generation in its supported device documentation (it just says Echo)

My Plex servers also are unable to properly work with Alexa. Remote access is enabled, I’ve set the server and player through Alexa, but I still get the error: “sorry i’m having trouble accessing your plex skill right now” whenever I try to play anything.

I’ve tried, “Alexa, Open Plex” and the result is the error.
I’ve tried, “Alexa, ask Plex to play music” and the result is the error.
I’ve tried, “Alexa, ask Plex to change server” and the result is a listing of my servers and ability to change.
I’ve tried, “Alexa, ask Plex to change player” and the result is a listing of my players and ability to change.

I was excited when I saw Plex’s email about this ability. But alas, it doesn’t work. From what I can tell, there is no offer of a solution from Plex to any of the forum questions regarding this error.

Was there ever any fix for this. I’m still having the same issue

Got news about the latest update which “supposedly” fixed things. Just checked it out. Why did you bother, still completely ■■■■■■■ broken. Get this sorted!!!

Likewise, assumed the Plex skill was worth trying again after today’s announcement but alas, still doesn’t work.

I’m with you guys. I pay for Plex pass and they can’t provide support over email. Booooo Plex support !!

Class action?

@Sland12s Logs show you tried to play a single item. What exactly is broken in your use case?

@vanstinator said:
@Sland12s Logs show you tried to play a single item. What exactly is broken in your use case?

Whenever I ask Alexa to get plex to play any of the music on my NAS it says there isnt music by which ever Artist I choose. I can see all the music from the plex app but plex on alexa is a complete failure

Whenever I ask Alexa to get plex to play any of the music on my NAS

You’re trying to play from Eris and not NAS. Change your server to NAS and you should get the media you’re expecting to play.

I don’t have a server called Eris

You have a shared server called Eris and it’s the server your Alexa skill is connected to. Ask Plex to change my server will give you a list of servers to pick from.

To everyone else here we just deployed a server-side hotfix to address some of these errors. There were some cases where a remote address for a PMS wasn’t working or could be misconfigured. It would cause Alexa to time out when our skill would reach out to your server. We’ve devised a way to test and cache information about your connections so we can throw a graceful error and a feedback card to your Alexa app. This may not cover all the situations outlined in this thread but we’ll be working more in the coming weeks to improve stability for these corner cases.

@vanstinator said:
You have a shared server called Eris and it’s the server your Alexa skill is connected to. Ask Plex to change my server will give you a list of servers to pick from.

NAS is my own server, Eris belongs to a friend. Why would the Plex skill make my friends server the default without telling me or asking? That seems completely dumb! It was initially connected to my server fine and everything worked.

The only time the skill sets a server is when you first log in and play music. And in those cases it picks the first owned server. The skill doesn’t change your default server in any other circumstance. The only way it could have changed is via user intervention.

Well I can assure you that didn’t happen

The logs look like you’re successfully playing music. Glad I could help. Have a great weekend :slight_smile:

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.