HD Audio MKV transcoded to Dolby Digital Plus?

roku

I am using the latest Plex Server and a Roku 3 and my TrueHD, DTS-MA, AAC MKV files are being bitstreamed to Dolby Digital Plus per my Denon AVR. Why?

The Rokus do not support those formats of audio codecs you are wanting to use.

If you want that audio experience, I suggest you look at the nVidia SHIELD TV or run Plex Media Player on appropriate PC hardware.

That’s a real shame. Thanks.

Look here at the latest player update. There seems to be a new roku player on the horizon that you can get now in a preview. Has new audio codex added that may include the HD audio and improvements in direct play and direct stream… Looking into it myself shortly.

@dannyv45 said:
Look here at the latest player update. There seems to be a new roku player on the horizon that you can get now in a preview. Has new audio codex added that may include the HD audio and improvements in direct play and direct stream… Looking into it myself shortly.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/27134/plex-for-roku#latest

As noted in the stickied post at the top of the forum, the development of the new Roku app was necessitated by Roku’s upcoming requirement that all apps use Roku ScreenGraph (RSG). Part of that new app is the new player which was first released in the previous Plex Pass update. The new player didn’t previous support direct-stream of many codecs. Unless I’m missing something, the additional direct-stream codecs support noted in the release notes is simply bringing the new player up to feature-parity with the old player.

Any support for HD-audio passthrough/decoding for the Roku Plex app will require additional codec support being released by Roku itself…not Plex. Roku simply doesn’t support TrueHD/DTS-HD/DTS-X/etc. People having been pleading for it in the Roku forums for many years (myself included)…and there has been precisely zero movement on that front from what I can tell.

@dannyv45 the new video player mentioned does not add more Direct Play support for HD audio codecs. This is a limitation of the current Roku devices.

@ljunkie said:
@dannyv45 the new video player mentioned does not add more Direct Play support for HD audio codecs. This is a limitation of the current Roku devices.

Why are 5.1 he-aac tracks transcoded? They’re supported by roku, and forcing direct play works fine.

@jbaconbits said:

@ljunkie said:

Why are 5.1 he-aac tracks transcoded? They’re supported by roku, and forcing direct play works fine.

This is most likely to preserve the channels when playing 5.1ch AAC. The ultra is the only device we are aware of that can handle direct playing 5.1 AAC and preserve the channels, as it will internally convert AAC to 5.1 AC3 (so the ultra should direct play 5.1 AAC). Other models require a transcode to convert the audio to preserve surround sound, or we will allow direct play if your setup is stereo as it wouldn’t matter.

Can someone clear up some confusion I have?

When audio needs to be converted does the entire stream get converted (Audio and video) or just the audio? I notice that if I look at the stream information it will say audio (transcoding) but video says (copy).

@ljunkie @DFury
Thank you for the clarification between the roku preview player and the older offical player, this answered a lot of questions on what I was seeing or in this case not-seeing in the preview release.