HDHomerun -> Plex - > roku

plugin-dev

Here is my set up.

HDHomerun Extend, a dell inspiron running PLEX, several Roku's throughout my house. The transcoding on PLEX is set to Highest quality for the Extend.

I purchased the HDHomerun Extend because the description said that the hardware inside the Extend would take the burden of the transcoding. When I try running 2 live TV streams the CPU on my computer goes to 100% and I cannot watch either on my rokus as they are constantly buffering. I tried moving the transcoding to original format in the settings, but then ROKU said it could not display anything.

Please let me know how I can pass on most of the processing to the EXTEND.

I believe natively, the Roku and the HDHomeRun Extend (or any other for that matter) don't play nice based on the formats they support. This puts your Plex server as being the uncomfortable middle man.

I look forward to what knowledge a heavy hitter might impart beyond this, as this is my setup as well, although I might be a little better off with the Dell XPS.

What does this thread have to do with channel plugin development?

Sorry... started a new thread in appropriate category... new here

@AmazingRando24 said:
I believe natively, the Roku and the HDHomeRun Extend (or any other for that matter) don't play nice based on the formats they support. This puts your Plex server as being the uncomfortable middle man.

I look forward to what knowledge a heavy hitter might impart beyond this, as this is my setup as well, although I might be a little better off with the Dell XPS.

AmazingRando24 I tried a couple different variations of setups... they got better... but still could not get both to run smoothly.... a USED XPS has been ordered... hopefully it isn't too "used"

I picked up my XPS off the clearance/open box rack at Best Buy. i7-6700 processor. You'll probably be pretty happy with your results.

@AmazingRando24 said:
I picked up my XPS off the clearance/open box rack at Best Buy. i7-6700 processor. You'll probably be pretty happy with your results.

AmazingRando24
The XPS I got only has an i7 2600... and running 2 live feed worked without buffering.... but still took a decent chunk of the performance... pretty sure I could not run 4 feeds. So I am going to keep 2 PMS running... one for TV (XPS) and one for movies (Old inspiron).

How many possible viewers would you have running at one time? Live feeds are about the most intensive Plex tasks you can perform. My guess is that you could do one or two live feeds and still crank out a movie feed or two on top within your network without reduced performance.

Your new CPU has a Passmark score of around 8,200. On average a 1080p stream uses up to 2,000, so in theory you could run 4 simultaneously. It looks like it's also a qualifying processor for enabling Hardware Transcoding, which should free up even more resources.

Try running the single PMS and see what you get first. It seems like a pain to maintain two.

I stream alot of stuff on a football weekend to different locations through out the house, plus movies for the kiddos.

I enabled Hardware transcoding on the HDHomerun, if that is what you mean. I set it to "Heavy" for the slow computer and it helped some... but not dramatic. I will check again to make sure it is still set for that. Any other settings I should update?

The XPS I only plan on using for the TV, the inspiron only for movies (mostly for the kiddos). Tonight will be the first time I try and use both PMS's at the same time.... I will post how it goes.

@wellsy37 said:
I enabled Hardware transcoding on the HDHomerun, if that is what you mean.

Not quite. In the Web app go to Settings > Server > Transcoder (make sure advanced settings are enabled)

At the bottom, enable "Use hardware acceleration when available"

See if that gives you any sort of performance boost. It may not work in this case, but worth a shot.

That was not set on the XPS, but it was on the original slow server when I punted to the XPS.... I will report back if that helped by the end of the week.

Running 2 servers last night was not an issue at all.... I had the movie (Slow) server displaying a movie on one Roku, then the TV(XPS) server running two live TV streams on two separate rokus, all using wired Ethernet, and there was no issue after 30 minutes of running this way. It is pretty easy to select between the different servers on the Roku as there is a drop down menu to point to each.

A football weekend will be the most amount of stress on the network and servers... but initial testing worked flawlessly.

my live tv on roku through plex started paying the picture was amazing but the problem is every minute or so it stopped, buffered a little bit then starts and stops